A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Clothing You Just Can't Chuck?

I'm no clothes horse. I don't have a wardrobe bursting with outfits. Most certainly not. I just don't care enough to do that. But I do have a problem throwing away a few things...

I understand the theory that one should purge their wardrobe of any clothing that hasn't been worn on a regular basis. Say, every 6 to 12 months. And I think, for the most part, that's true. Every year I go through my clothes to see what I'm not wearing anymore and, if it's in good condition, it goes off to St Vinnie's.

Then, there are some items that should really just, well, go in the bin.

For me, it's my Witchery jeans. I bought them in 2004 when my second son was about 4 months old, and I felt it time for a new pair.....Oh, ok, you got me. My previous pairs just didn't fit me anymore.

They were my first low-waisted jeans. At first, they felt kinda uncomfortable. I'd always been used to jeans around my waist, not hovering around my hips. But before too long, they became my outfit of choice. They remain my most comfortable article of clothing today.

One problem though. They're thinning out. Five years of constant wear has taken its toll, and now I have a rather large tear in my right knee. It started off as a small hole, and I immediately thought, 'Oh no!' But before too long, it became more than that. Trendy you might think. Well, not really. It looks more messy. Stretched, faded, getting bigger by the minute.

So, I put them away. I couldn't throw them out. I kept them as my "clothes for around the house" outfit. And guess what? They made a reappearance this week. It was the kids' annual fundraiser that did it. With preparations moving in to full swing, I started to justify wearing them as my "working" clothes. Even if the "work" I was doing was not exactly physical.

Still, it's my justification for wearing them, and I'm sticking with it. I'll throw them out next year. Really, I will.

Got any items of clothing you just can't chuck? Let me know!

Until next time...
Jodie

2 comments:

Ami said...

Oh I hate throwing clothes out too! I've got a couple, well ok a lot of dresses that just don't fit me any more, but I'm determined to hang onto them! Even the 'why did I buy those' clothes still seem to stay in my wardrobe!

I think you should definitely keep your jeans! Always gotta have those 'house clothes'!!

nomie said...

Oh, I have lots of clothes I just can't throw out... leavers dinner dresses, brides maid dresses... outfits from uni balls... I keep them all, just to have them... I just can't bring myself to do it! I also have some of the kids special (to me) clothes!
Keep the jeans I say!