A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Recipe Box - Part 2: Lamb Cutlets with Chunky Salsa Verde & Parsnip Puree

This is what I call really simple, yummy comfort food. I'm a lamb fan. Big time.

When I decided to give up veal (because of the treatment towards the baby calves) my friend, a vegetarian, thought I might be a good candidate to convert. I then had to explain my love of lamb to her. We cannot be parted, I'm afraid. And I know it sounds like a contradiction. Lamb is a baby as well. It's just how it is.

Parsnips are more in season over winter, but you can still get them now, and the fresh herbs are irresistible! As last time with my pizza recipe, (view that here), I'm motivated by my lack of organisation at sending this to someone, and hence killing two birds with one stone. (Now I've written that, it sounds cruel. Hmm.) Here you go Tina. It's all yours.

Here's the recipe:

800g parsnips, peeled, chopped coarsely
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
1/4 cup (60ml) thickened cream
12 (900g) lamb cutlets
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (ie Continental Parsley)
2 green onions (green shallots), sliced thinly (cut on an angle makes it look fancy)
1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 tblespns lemon juice

1. Place the parsnips and stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until parsnip is soft and stock is almost evaporated. Blend or process parsnip until smooth; return to pan, stir in cream; cover to keep warm. (How easy is that???)
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle cutlets with a little salt, cook on a heated, oiled grill plate for about 8 minutes or until browned both sides and cooked as desired. Sprinkle with pepper.
3. Combine herbs, onion, oil and juice in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve the cutlets with Salsa Verde and Parsnip Puree.

Serves: 4
Cooking & prep: 40 mins approx

Other notes:
Ok, so to put it together. I put a generous dollop of parsnip puree on the plate, pushing it out a bit with the back of the spoon. Then I lay out 3 cutlets on top of the puree - kind of in a fan style (very flash), then sprinkle the salsa verde over top. In the piccie I have, they stack the lamb on top of each other, with each layer of lamb placed to the right, so the stem (?) of the lamb isn't right on top of each other. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm sure, unlike me, you can use your creative flair. I'm a total copy cat with this sort of stuff.

Enjoy!

Until next time...
Jodie

No comments: