A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Saturday, November 07, 2009

My Recipe Box - Part 4: Dhal

We have this meal almost once a week. For two main reasons. 1. It's healthy; and 2. I almost always have all the ingredients lying around the kitchen.

The kids will eat it too (bonus)! I just leave out the chilli powder, divide up the lentils when they're almost cooked and add the chilli powder just to the amount for Hubby and I. (So far, thank goodness, I haven't stuffed that part up yet. Can you imagine? Disaster...)

So here's the recipe for Dhal:

2 tblespns olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
3 tspns garam masala
2 tspns ground turmeric
1/2 tspn chilli powder
1 x 375g packet red lentils, rinsed, drained
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
fresh coriander to garnish
plain yoghurt, sliced spring onion
warm naan or rice to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onion, garlic, carrot and spices; cook, stirring, until onion is soft.

2. Add lentils, stock and water; bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, for about 25 mins or until lentils are tender and mixture is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Garnish dhal with fresh coriander. Serve with plain yoghurt topped with spring onion, and warm bread or rice.

How easy is that?!

Other tips:
My mother-in-law, who has cooked various Indian dishes for years (and makes some really yummy curries), thinks it's best to eat Dhal the same day you cook it. But the recipe does say it'll keep in an airtight container for 3 days, and I'd agree with that. Hubby and I often have it for lunch the next day or two or we heat it and make another curry to go with it the following night. Often, as is the case with Indian food, it tastes better the following day anyway!

Other Recipes from My Recipe Box:

1 comment:

Nomie said...

Yum! I love dahl... and same as you, kids will eat it bonus! Will have to give your recipe a whirl! Thanks : )