A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Story of My First Deodorant

At the age of 13, I suddenly noticed something the other girls were doing that I wasn't. Using deodorant. And, like most 13 year old girls, I wanted to be just like everyone else.

And so, after watching all the other girls in my class spraying themselves with cans of Impulse and Rexona one afternoon after school sports, off I ran home that day to ask Mum if I could get my own deodorant. I guess it had never crossed my Mum's mind to buy me one before that. Besides, I'm quite certain I didn't actually need it at that age. Um, pretty sure anyhow.

Anyway, off we went to the local Coles so I could choose one. Now, it should be noted at this point that Mum wasn't big at purchasing aerosol deodorants or perfumes and the like. She has an incredibly sensitive nose, and if said items are sprayed, she'll sneeze until the cows come home. Same with carnations. It's a hayfever related thing. Anyway, suffice to say, she was no help at all with any advice on which deodorant I should buy. Having said that, I was a 13 year old girl. I doubt I would have taken her advice anyway. I believe at that age, I thought I knew everything.

So it was up to me to choose. I vaguely remember choosing my deodorant based purely on the packaging. (A marketer's dream, I am. Believe me.)

And so the very next day, off I went to school with my new deodorant. I remember being so pleased with my choice. It had a beautiful, flowery and powdery smell about it. I couldn't use it enough, and I couldn't recommend it enough to every other girl I passed in the gym locker room.

Then one day, I was at my bestfriend's house and I was, once again, talking about my wonderful new deodorant with my friend, when her mother overheard me. She eventually asked, "Jodie, what's the name of your deodorant?" She had a sort of half smile on her face as she asked.

"Femfresh," I replied proudly. Her half smile turned in to a full one.

"Honey," she said gently, "that's a deodorant for, you know, down there." And she pointed to her you-know-whatsie.

Yep. I'd purchased an "intimate hygiene" product. And had been telling EVERYONE about it.



How embarrassing. Needless to say, I switched my deodorant after that.

Until next time...
Jodie

9 comments:

emlykd said...

sounds like something I would do when I was that age... but never admit to!! he he he he!!

april said...

Ah, sigh, thank you for laughter on a grey sunday morning :)

Nomie said...

That is so funny! Thanks for sharing and giving me another laugh! XXX

Anonymous said...

I love this story! Makes me feel a lot better about accidentally using a tube of Head and Shoulders shampoo as toothpaste that one time . . .

rimarama said...

Ooops, that last comment was from me. Forgot to log in.

MegsyJ said...

Hilarious Jodie!

Thea said...

Ooops!! hehehehe

Brenda said...

Armpits...Vagina...same same IMO as they both tend to be on the smelly moist side. Tehehe...

april said...

see I have the opposite problem here - my daughter NEEDS to wear deoderant but won't....anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to?