A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bye Bye Noughties

And so we prepare to say goodbye to 2009. But it's not just ta-ta to another year, but another decade! And what an eventful one it has been. Both for the world and for me...

We started the decade holding our breath, waiting to see how Y2K would effect us (it didn't - so glad I spent all that time at work preparing for it *sigh*) but from that moment on, the world did, indeed, experience some shocking lows.

And unfortunately, the lows were plentiful. There was the Concorde Crash, September 11, the Bali Bombings, the Invasion of Iraq, the Shuttle disaster, the Asian tsunami, the London Transit Bombings, Hurricane Katrina, the Beaconsfield mine disaster, the Global Financial Crises, the Black Saturday fires in Victoria, the onslaught of Swine Flu - and many, many other events that left us saddened, afraid, angry or all three.

On the flip side of that, two particularly great moments last decade (in my opinion) were the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (as a Sydney-sider, I can't say enough how great it was here during that time. A far, far more pleasant experience than any of us could have anticipated), and of course the historic election of Barack Obama, America's first black president.

We saw a bevy of trends and technology surface. Almost every child started wearing Crocs (including my own. As well as Hubby. And me). Tattoos became as common as a pedicure (not a fan I'm afraid). iPods and iPhones became highly coveted. As did mini cupcakes from the many stands around our shops (try passing those quickly with your kids). If you wore a thong (of the foot kind) Havaianas were probably your first choice. Fake tan became a fave of celebs, with some taking it a little too far (think: Lindsay Lohan).

Twitter burst on to our computers, opening up a whole new social network for many (including myself!). More and more took up injecting themselves with botulinum toxin (or BOTOX) with some losing their expressions in the process (and many others denying they'd even done it). The Snuggie (like a backward dressing gown) found its way in to many homes (not ours) - with reportedly 4 million sold! What the...?

In the world of celebrity, we saw Tom Cruise jump on Oprah's couch. Both Delta and Kylie announced they had cancer (and then recovered from it). We were
saddened and shocked by the deaths of Heath Ledger, Steve Irwin, Belinda Emmett and Michael Jackson (to name but a few).

Friends finished up, as did SITC. Brad & Ange got together (and at the time of publishing this post, had 6 children. But who knows? Could be more by the time you finish reading this). Britney went a bit bonkers there for a while. Australian Idol took off and produced an array of Aussie talent and Rove finished up his long running tv show.

A boy called Harry Potter suddenly made JK Rowling a very wealthy woman indeed. Justin Timberlake brought "Sexy Back". JLo wore a very revealing dress that everyone talked about afterwards. Two ladies called Kath & Kim were, well, noice. The Twilight series, both in books and movie form took off (I still just. Don't. Get. It). The list goes on and on and on...

As for me? Well, I have personally had one of the most amazing, wonderful decades of my life.

I married in 2000. Turned 30 that same year. Hubby and I bought our first house in '01. We had our first son in 2002, followed by our second in '04 and our third in '06. We travelled to some great places: both locally (Coolum and Noosa, Qld; Melbourne, Vic; back to our home town of Perth, WA) and internationally (Malaysia, Italy and Vanuatu).

I watched my two big boys start school (the 7yr old in '07, the 5yr old this year) and finally got two days to myself when the (now) 3yr old started daycare last year. (Can't tell you how much I needed THAT!)

I also became a great aunt this year (FINALLY). Don't worry. My nephew is my age. It's not a 12 year old or something have a kid. ;)

And then last year, after getting involved on the school's P&F and contributing to the school's weekly newsletter, I discovered how much I enjoyed writing, and this blog was established in September.

I'm looking forward to 2010 and beyond. It'll be sure to start off with a bang. Hubby and I will celebrate 10 years of wedded (for the most part) bliss. I'll turn the big 4-0. (Yikes!) In fact, it should be an interesting decade ahead. (Although, the idea that I'll be almost 50 by the end of it - God willing - is freaking me OUT! *gag*)

And I'll continue to blog. For how long? Who knows. I'll be taking it one day at a time. But I hope you'll join me on my journey, and enjoy your own journey in the process.

Happy New Year/Decade!

Until next year...
Jodie

19 comments:

miss carly said...

il be here to keep reading! love your blog!

im actually writing a similar post at the moment. a rehash of events.

xx

Jade said...

It's scary and wonderful looking back at the last decade, that's for sure.

I agree with Carly - will be here to read your blog as long as you keep on posting!

Jessica said...

I'll be here ready and waiting to read. What a great post. How long did it take you to do this one? please don't tell me you remembered all of this? Please!

Anonymous said...

i am trying to make my blog better but need some hints and tips and I do love your page. Have you got a bt of time to twitter me? I would really love it if you could.

Mummy__Pig said...

that last one was me btw but as usual I made a mess of it xxxxx

fat mum slim said...

What a great decade! I hope this next one is filled with truckloads of happiness. xx

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks miss carly. I'll look forward to reading yours!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks Jade

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Ooops. Hadn't quite finished! I have checked out yours too, and will be back!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Wrote it up yesterday morn. BUT - had some help... Was inspired by the Who Magazine (or People in US). All the info was in there...just put my own spin on it! x

Brenda@mummytime said...

Wow! What a decade huh? Has it been ten years already? God, I feel old-ish. Hehehe...

...Anyway may 2010 be your best year. Ever! And keep on blogging Ms Jodie. You write so well! XO

Thea said...

Great wrap up of a great decade. Our marriage, kids, age timeline is so similar! Can't believe you've only been blogging since September, you seem like a seasoned pro! You know I love it & will be back with bells on next year. xx

Michelle said...

Wow! You've written a great run down of what was. My sister sent me to check out your blog and I must say - I am suitably impressed :-)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks all for your lovely comments! Here's to 2010... Cheers!

miss carly said...

no probs xx

glad you enjoyed mine

Ami said...

Great post Jodie! Considering I started the decade at 16 there's much of the earlier parts I'd like to forget!!

Looking forward to the next decade, with of course lots more blogging!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! xx

april said...

This is a beautiful post - so much research and just lovely - wow it has been a big decade - scary to see it as one though...
Happy New Year!

Nomie said...

It has been an amazing decade thats for sure! I've been doing a lot of thinking about it too I must say!
Heres to another great decade (and if you don't mention how old we'll be at the end of it I wont either!)
Have a fab NYE and I look forward to more of your great blog in 2010 xxx

Stacey said...

Wow - what a decade! Definitely a time for growing up for me. The highest highs and the lowest lows. BUT, I wouldn't swap any of it. Happy new year! Roll on 2010, happy times ahead! x