A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Saturday, January 16, 2010

10 Years Today



Today Hubby and I celebrate 10 years of marriage. Ten whole years. I can hardly believe it.

When we met, all the way back in 1992, I was 22 and Hubby was 20 (and a month away from his 21st birthday). We were both actively not looking for a relationship. But you know what they say...when you least expect it, that's when you'll find love.

I hadn't had many relationships by the time I started dating Hubby. But the ones I had, had not ran particularly smoothly. In my mind, I knew what I wanted from a life partner. I knew what sort of relationship I wanted. What sort of person I hoped my future husband would be. But the guys I was interested in and/or dated either didn't cut it, or it just didn't work out for whatever reason. And by the time I met Hubby, I had quite convinced myself that perhaps, in fact, the relationship I hoped for didn't actually exist. Perhaps I was being too fussy? Perhaps I needed to make a shift with my expectations?

And then I had that moment where I realised that Hubby was IT. And when we finally did get together (in February 1993), it was all I had imagined, hoped for and more.

Just one month shy of celebrating 7 years together, we married on 16 January 2000. It was a small, intimate ceremony with only our immediate family and close friends. It was low key. Married in our local Catholic parish, photos taken by a couple of friends, and a celebration afterwards; held in the backyard of a relative's home. We had finger food supplied by our favourite local Thai restaurant. There was champagne. No wedding cake. And Hubby was the only one who made a speech (which we "wrote" about 10 minutes before he delivered it).

We really just wanted it to be about us. Not about doves being released or laser shows on our arrival at the reception. Just celebrating how we felt in the presence of those who meant the most to us. A party. It was perfect. (Well, except for the waitress who couldn't balance a tray of drinks, which she dropped. Twice. Bah! Cest la vie...)

He is, without doubt, my bestfriend. There is no one I trust more than him. And yes, we've had our not-so-great moments in our marriage, and our relationship has been tested at times. (Who doesn't experience that in a relationship?) And, indeedy, it is true that he buys far too many bikes (even Lance Armstrong would be jealous) and not nearly enough bling for me (however, he does have until midnight tonight to rectify that situation - read my post here on that which I wrote the other day).

But at the end of the day, there's no one else I want to see first thing in the morning (except, of course, my kids - although after 7am would be nice); or say goodnight to at the end of the day. (Ok, perhaps with the exception of Henry Cavill - but I'm saving him for my next life. ;) )

No. I'm one lucky woman. (And yeah - he's one lucky guy.) We're the perfect fit, even when things aren't so perfect.

I've got myself a keeper, people.

Happy Anniversary Hubby. As our boys would say - I love you all the way to the moon, and back again. Here's to at least 10 more years! (With or without bling.)

Until next time...
Jodie

14 comments:

Michele (MommaLioness) said...

Happy Anniversary! 10 years is major...hope you see some bling today :). Congratulations!

Jane {@whatever floats your boat} said...

What a cute love story! Happy anniversary, Jodie. xx

Taryn said...

Happy Anniversary!!. Enjoy that blissful happiness in buckets today. xxx

Thea Smith said...

Awww, I have goosebumps!

Michelle said...

Jodi - you have given me goosebumps! Congratulations - love hearing about people in love :)

Nomie said...

Beautifully written, lots of love in this post. Happy Anniversary to you both xxx

Rima said...

Oh, congratulations! My husband and I are on the same timeline - we'll be ten years in September!

Jayne said...

Oh Jodie - so gorgeous and so much love. Congrats. You were married a mere 25 days after me. :-) Have a wonderful anniversary.

Brenda said...

Awww...how sweeeettt!!! Happy 10th to you and your loveydoves Jodie.xxxoooxxx

She is Jade said...

Congratulations Jodie & hubby! Such a lovely post.

Aussie-waffler said...

Happy Anniversary Jodie, ten years is a milestone indeed :) x

MegsyJ said...

Congratulations Jodie & Hubby on your 10 year anniversary! Here's to the next 10 being amazing too (just with more bling)!

Ami said...

Happy Anniversary! What a lovely post. I'm a bit teary! LOVE the last bit about what your boys say! So cute!

Maybe some bling will turn up when you least expect it! xxx

Chachatwist said...

That's so lovely... Romance still alive after all these years. Happy anniversary.
And btw, we are the same age! I was 22 in 1992. Great year that was.