A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oh, How Embarrassing!


I've been known to embarrass myself. More than once. In fact, I'm quite good at it. (Finally! Something I excel at.) But there is one particular time that stands out for me.

I mean, yes, there was the time I bought a deodorant, which I told EVERYONE about because I just LOVED it so much - and it turned out to be an intimate hygiene product (read about that here). Then there was the time I felt particularly honoured when asked to present a speech about my Year 12 Coordinator in high school, on the eve of my Year 12 Graduation ceremony. And then, part way through the speech, I went blank. Blankety-blank. Nothin'. And I'd just received the Speech & Drama Award for Year 12. It's a wonder they didn't swipe it off me as I exited the building. (And no, of course I didn't tell you that story just so you'd know I had received an award. It was purely to make a point about my level of embarrassment. Oh alright. Maaaaybe I wanted you to know just a little bit that I'd ONCE received an award. Well, that one, and the Junior Citizen of the Year award I ALSO won on that night. Just sayin'.)

Aaaaanway. Back to my MOST embarrassing story EVER....

I shared the following with my sons' school when addressing NAPLAN testing in the school newsletter last year. Here's what I wrote:
On my second day in Mr Holbrook's Year 9 Science class, my new teacher announced he would be asking us some questions from the pages of our text book he'd asked us to read the night before. Immediately, I went in to a semi-panic. 'What if he asks me?' I thought. 'What if I don't know the answer?' and then, 'In fact, did I actually finish the reading before Sons & Daughter's started?...Gosh, I wonder what that Pat the Rat is up to this time?...'

Suddenly, I heard a muffled voice which interrupted my thoughts and I realised Mr Holbrook had just asked me a question and was looking at me, waiting for my answer. As were the 29 other kids in my class. Too embarrassed to admit I hadn't been listening, I stammered in reply, "Umm, I, ah, I-I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to that." Everyone in the class started to giggle, and Mr Holbrook had a mixture of confusion and annoyance displayed on his face. Before I could work out what on earth was going on, he said to me in a very slow, purposeful way, "I asked you...your name."
How about you? Anything truly embarrassing happened to you that you want to share?

Oh, and for those young readers or overseas readers that have NO IDEA what Sons & Daughters is...you can read about it here.

Until next time...
Jodie

7 comments:

jessica said...

read any blog about my night as a volunteer at the hospital and 90 percent of them are how I humiliated myself

Tammy said...

oh dear.. that would have been oh so embarassing....

Theta Mom said...

Yes, that is embarassing!

MegsyJ said...

Oh no! That's SO embarrassing!

The most embarrassing moment I can think of was when I was at my old work - I walked over to our other building (i.e. all through upstairs of one building, all through downstairs, walked over, past everyone there) and spoke to one person. By the time I got all the way back to my desk, there was an email from the person I'd gone to speak to: 'Did you realise the zip on your skirt is undone??' AAHHHHH!

Thea Smith said...

Hehe...and I loved Sons & Daughters, too!! That and A Country Practice!
But most embarrassing moment....OMG, here I go...
Mine was a high school indecent as well. Grade 8, on the way to the bus stop after school, running down the big steps on the oval seating, tripped, fell, my 'port' (having one of those was embarrassing in itself, everyone else had trendy sports type 'bags'), port flipped open, books, papers and me sprawled everywhere. Oh yeah, not my finest moment, and another reason why I prefer NEVER to run anywhere.

Michelle said...

boy oh boy! that is a good one - ooooops

Make do mum said...

Oh I had something similar happen - I was daydreaming in a geography lesson when I heard the teacher say my name. I had no idea what he just asked me so I just ummed and ahhed until he picked on someone else (I hope he wasn't asking me my name too!)

I remember the theme tune to Sons & Daughters, but my favourite was the Young Doctors!