Both Thea over at Do I Really Wanna Blog? and Nomie over at Under The Yardarm have issued the challenge for me to do this list. And I'm excited. To be honest, I love it when I'm given a subject to write about. It's how I write the weekly newsletter for my sons' school! So here goes...
10 things that make me happy:
1. Being a Full-Time Mum. I know. It sounds cliched and all, but I really love being at home with my kids. And I'm lucky I can be. It's not for everyone though. It's a tough gig, and at times I feel like I want to have a tantrum as big and as spectacular as my 3 year old can dish out. (And I can COMPLETELY understand those mums who want to return to work to just have a break - a happy mum makes a happy child, I always say.) But for the most part, I feel blessed. Yep, it's just what they say: It's the hardest "job" in the world, but in my opinion, the most rewarding one I've ever had. I am definitely doing my "dream job".
2. Stationery. I've always LOVED stationery. January was always one of the happiest months of my life when I was a student...preparing for the return to school. Not because I was a dedicated classmate who wanted nothing more than to learn *cough* but because it meant a new pencil case, books, paper... Heaven! Stores like Kikki K, Smiggles and Officeworks just make me so HAPPY!
3. Biographies. I love reading. Full stop. But it's biographies that I love the most. Perhaps I'm nosy by nature? In any case, other people's lives seem so much more interesting than my own at times, and when I find out a little about someone, I just want to know more! (So look out. If you meet me, I'll no doubt ask you LOTS of questions.) And if that person lived in the 16th century, or around there, even better. I just wish I had more time to read them. *sigh*
4. Warm Weather. Maybe the wonderful memories I have of growing up in Perth has something to do with it, but I love the warm weather. But here's where it gets complicated. I don't particularly enjoy sunbathing or going to the beach. I just like that it's not cold. I love wearing t-shirts and shorts. It's so much more comfy than rugging up in layers. And I just feel happier when the weather is good. When the sun shines, so do I.
5. The rain. Ok. So I sound like I'm contradicting myself here, don't I? Even though I love the warm weather, I also quite like it when it rains. Not every day for 10 days straight. And most certainly NOT when it's during school holidays (helloooo cabin-fever), but just every now and then. It feels cosy. I feel happier about ironing and sitting in my study typing away (as I'm doing right now) when it's raining outside. And if there's thunder and lightening? Don't mind that a bit either. So long as I, and my loved ones, are indoors.
6. When my sister comes to visit. My sister lives in Perth, and when she visits us in Sydney - I love it! We have a 21-year age gap, so growing up, my sister didn't really feel like a sister to me as such. More like an Aunt. We spent little time together alone. Her kids were my age, so I tended to hang out with them. But when my first son was born, she came to visit for, like, 10 days. And I was worried to be honest. What would we say to each other? Would we get on? I shouldn't have worried at all. We started talking as soon as she walked through the front door, and we didn't stop. Yep - it took 32 years for us to establish the kind of sisterly relationship I always felt like I'd missed out on, but it was worth the wait. My boys love her too, and she's always so helpful to me. (Kisses & hugs to you, Cheryl. Please come again soon. x)
7. Time alone. I love my kids. And I love that Hubby and I are just so very comfortable hanging out together, and I love it when we just sit on the couch and chat for hours, or lay in bed talking until after midnight (which we do often), but I also like it when I'm alone some times. I grew up like an only child. I'm used to my space, and I have no problem finding ways to occupy my time. So on my two days a week when the big boys are at school, the 3yr old is in daycare, and Hubby is at work - I relish in my alone time! I don't care that I'm just cleaning, or paying bills or even ironing (and regular readers will know that's a big statement for me - considering my abhorrence to such a task). The fact I'm doing it alone is nice. And at the end of the day, I'm a much happier, relaxed person for it.
8. Eating out. I don't get to do it that much these days. But when I do, I just love it. Give me a cafe and some cake, either with or without the kids, or dinner at a busy, noisy restaurant even - I don't care. The fact that I can have a meal served to my table, I don't have to prepare it and I don't have to clean up afterwards...JOY.
9. Entertaining. I love it when we have people over. Whether it be for a sit down dinner, a casual bbq, or a friend or two for tea or coffee. Whatever. I love having people over. If you ever want to be with someone who is just happy to sit for hours and sip tea and chew the fat - I'm your gal.
10. Holidays. Holidays make me very happy. I don't like flying, so almost prefer not to head overseas, and love the odd road trip but, I don't really care. So long as I can get away for a while. But I can't be away from the city too long, because I'm a city gal. Not in a Sex In The City sense - I'm not in to fashion and don't have to shop all the time. I just like to be close to where the action is.
So there's my list. And now, I believe, it's my turn to tag ten people of my own to make the same list on their blog....so here goes:
Until next time...