Some people break the rules all the time. Some always follow them. What are you? A 'rule breaker' or a 'rule follower'?
I am, for the most part, the latter. For example:
- I wouldn't pick up a grape from the fruit and veg section of my local supermarket and eat it. Nor would I let my children do so ("That's stealing," they would probably say - my influence).
- Unless there was no one around, and I was certain I wouldn't inconvenience anyone, I would never intentionally drive the wrong way down a lane in the local Westfield carpark. In fact, I've been known to take the extra long route, in the opposite direction to the exit, just because I wouldn't drive down against the arrows. And if I saw anyone driving in the wrong direction, I would shake my head and "tsk, tsk" them. (Sad, but true.)
- I wouldn't park illegally or in front of someone's driveway, even if I was in a real hurry to get somewhere. I just couldn't do it!
- I wouldn't drive through a red light, even if it was 2am in the morning and there wasn't another single car in sight.
- I wouldn't keep any extra change someone accidentally gave me. I would always give it back.
- Even if people invited me to join them in a cue, and I know I would save myself a lot of time waiting, I would more than likely decline and just move to the end of the line!
- I couldn't lie about my details on any sort of application form. I couldn't live with myself, and I'd be equally concerned I'd be found out.
Having said all that, I did start receiving once, just out of the blue one Sunday, a copy of both Sunday papers. The first couple of weeks, I assumed the delivery address was incorrect, and it would be corrected by someone else without me having to do anything. Then after a few more weeks, each Sunday I would vow to call "someone" (I didn't know who) to let them know I was getting newspapers I hadn't actually ordered or paid for. But each week I'd get to the following Sunday morning and realise I'd forgotten to do so. Then eventually, after a few more weeks, I decided I quite liked getting the Sunday papers, and surely it wasn't my problem they were being delivered to me? (And let me tell you, the first Sunday I walked out to find there were no more papers, I was so disappointed!)
But for the most part, I'm a rule follower. I'm not comfortable breaking the rules.
How about you? Do you break a few rules? Which of the above would you break?