There's gotta be at least one mum at every school, every preschool and every daycare (but, unfortunately, usually more). She is, what I call, the Taker Mum.
This is the mum who thinks that for some reason, they deserve certain benefits and privileges that others do not. For instance, they're the mum who usually:
- Rocks up at school for morning drop off in their car, and rather than quickly get their kids out - and kiss them on their merry way - they park their car, and get out to have a chat with a friend for 30 minutes, whilst everyone else is forced to move around them.
- Turns up to school pick up and, unable to find a parking spot, parks partly over a resident's driveway, obviously telling themselves that they'll only be "five minutes", when in reality it's more like "fifteen". (And I'm one of those residents, next to a school, so I know how frustrating that is.)
- Never puts her hand up to help out with school activities, but turns up to anything and sits in the corner drinking tea and eating cake (even when she hasn't brought anything to share).
- Always attends mother's groups at others people's houses, but never ever hosts one. Or at the very least, never organises a mother's group catch up anywhere.
- Will actually put her hand up to help out at a school activity, and then spends the whole time not turning up to meetings, or if she does, dodging any responsibility and generally being present for appearance sake only.
- Is always happy for her child to go to someone's house for a play date, but never reciprocates.
And the list goes on...
I'm not perfect. I've turned up to a Year 3 function, and although I was supposed to "bring a plate" of something, I didn't. (I'd had a busy week, and you know, I do my bit at the school.)
I understand some just can't spare the time. Of course that happens! But if you can, and you don't because you "can't be bothered", then you know what? I'm annoyed.
What about you? Know any "Taker Mum's" yourself?