A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, April 12, 2010

What Was Your Stand Out Moment on the Weekend?

I had a few standout moments this weekend. A couple of them were not so great, but one in particular was fantastic! Read on....


Let's get the not so great moments out of the way first, and leave the best 'til last!


Hubby and I took the 3 boys shopping to Westfield on Saturday afternoon. I know, I know. What were we thinking? First of all kids + shopping never works as a rule, but on a busy Saturday? In the afternoon when they're tired by then? Crazy stuff. 


We were waiting for Hubby to try on some clothes (seriously, the man takes longer than most women do to choose clothes) and there was a large sitting area. The boys just went completely nuts; jumping over the couch, wrestling on the ground. All kinds of threats, promises and pleas went pretty much unnoticed. I left the fitting room in the end, telling them I was embarrassed by their actions. The dramatic exit had no effect, unfortunately. Sigh.


Then last night, the 6yo ran (yes, ran) in to the bathroom, wet from the bath just moments earlier, and fell, hitting his forehead. He can't remember that part. But he has two eggs on his forehead to prove it. We contemplated taking him to the hospital. We hesitated only because he seemed to recover ok, cried straight away, didn't appear to have been knocked out (I think perhaps the forgetfulness was due to shock afterwards), and was responding to all questions. I know how it is with anything related to the head - they want to keep them in for hours under observation, but I just felt he was ok. Within 15 minutes, he was happy and his usual self again, and is fine today (apart from feeling a little sore). (Good call!)


Some days it just doesn't go to plan, does it?


But Sunday lunch made up for it all. I went to a beautiful cafe right under the harbour bridge with a beautiful view of the harbour. It was a sensational April day in Sydney. Warm and sunny. Like the onset of summer all over again.


Getting ready for lunch, I was nervous, because I wanted to make a good impression. I couldn't decide what to wear. I had yet another bad hair day. Then I couldn't find the exact pair of shoes I wanted to wear, but I eventually managed to race out the door in time. I stopped off to buy a bottle of champers. I couldn't believe it when I couldn't find my favourite. Surely...? Then FINALLY, after squinting through the frosted refrigerator door, there riiiight at the back sat the last bottle. Alleluia! 


Why all the fuss, you ask? Well, the person I was meeting I had never met before. I had tweeted her. I had emailed her a few times, commented on her blog, she had commented on mine, but we'd never actually 'met' up until that point. 


And when she mentioned she'd be in Sydney this weekend, and asked if I'd like to catch up, I jumped at the chance. I always had this feeling that I'd just click with her, and as I drove towards the cafe in North Sydney, I, admittedly, had high hopes for our meeting. 


Here's what I expected/hoped...


I expected/hoped she would be a little quieter than me, but we'd have the same sense of humour and have a good laugh and immediately feel comfortable with one another. I expected/hoped that she'd be just as interesting to listen to as her blog is to read. I expected/hope that we'd sit comfortably, chatting away with no uneasy silences. I expected/hoped that we'd have such a good time, that we'd hope to be able to do it again some day.  


As I arrived at the restaurant, a few minutes late (the traffic was terrible, and finding a parking space was as difficult as it is to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow - that's Sydney for you!) I said to the waiter, "Table for two for 'Ansted'." 


He said, "Oh, yes. Your friend is here already." 


"Oh!" I exclaimed, a little surprised. (Although, I don't know why. I hadn't expected and certainly hadn't hoped she'd be late!) And then I explained, in this sort of rambling, making-no-sense kinda way, "I don't know what she looks like. We've never actually met before. I mean, we've chatted online. Oh, God. That sounds bad when I say it like that..." 


"Oh, like a blind date?" he replied.


"Oh, well no. Not a blind date. Similar. But...no...oh..." Shut up, Jodie.


"There she is over there," he said, pointing towards the back of the cafe. And sure enough, there she was, sitting at the table, looking out at the harbour. And she was just like her photo. 


I walked up to her, "Hello there!" I exclaimed, so excited to finally be meeting her. She got up, a big smile on her face. 


I was finally meeting the lovely Megan from Writing Out Loud. (I love her blog. If you haven't already - check it out!)


And the lunch was everything I expected/hoped it would be, as was Megan. The 2 hours we sat there (until we had to, reluctantly, forfeit our table for the next set of lunch patrons) flew by. We chatted, joked, laughed and even ordered the same courses (even when the waitress came back to tell us they had run out of the lemon & lime tart - we both ordered the same second choice: brulee). 


And then it was time to say goodbye. 




Yep - lunch yesterday was definitely my stand out moment for the weekend. Thanks Megan for meeting me yesterday. I can't wait until we can do it again some time soon!


Jodie 

20 comments:

Shelly said...

That is my view! I mean that WAS my view! I used to work in the Philips building (now called something else) and I looked out at that view everyday! Now I look out at my overgrown back yard that needs a retaining wall. Oh well.

I loved your post. I can so relate to the debacle that is kids + shopping. Why do we do it to ourselves?

I will check out Megan's blog. I think I follow her already, but only just recently.

Glad you had a high moment in your weekend.

Shelly at www.tropicalmum.blogspot.com (I can never login to your comments with GFC)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Hi Shelly. Thanks for the comment!

I'm looking at changing my comments system soon I think. Will check out more about it and have a think about it!

miss carly said...

ooh! wow!

your hubby sounds like the boyfriend.

sounds like you had a fantastic weekend!

emlykd said...

Oh you gorgeous girls!!! LOVE IT!!! my stand out moment from the weekend.. my SECOND DATE!!!!

Thea Smith said...

Oh how lovely!!! And I think I'm a little jealous. I'd love to have lunch with the two of you. Don't suppose you'll be in Qld any time soon? lol :)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

A second date? Oh, you SO need to spill the beans, girl!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Rest assured, if I'm in Qld - I'll be bugging you to meet me, Thea!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks for the RT lovely! x

lifeinapinkfibro said...

I'm jealous! Would have loved to have been sipping champers with the pair of you. Glad you had a great time.

SeraphimSP said...

Awwww that sounds awesome. I'd love to have met up with you two. Glad son is ok as well.

Nomie said...

I have been waiting ALL DAY to read this! I knew you had met someone... even driving from work to get the kids from school I was going through bloggers/tweeps trying to work it out... I had butterflies just reading this! So happy you both had a great time :)

As for those huge couch/seat things in clothes stores... seriously, what were they thinking putting those everywhere families go? We see a seat, I'm sure kids see a giant trampoline!

Also glad your Mr 6 is OK now. xxx

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Oh, yay! You're baaaack! It was Megan I was talking to about not seeing you around Twitter and here lately. We knew you were busy! ;)

Megan is gorgeous. She's so together, and very talented too. Going places, that girl...!

Jane said...

Two of my favourite bloggers! Together! Sometimes I find it hard to believe that all you lovely ladies actually exist so I can imagine it mustve been weeeeeird for you two to actually meet. x

MegsyJ said...

OMG OMG OMG!! I love this post Jodie!!

Thank you SO much and I'm so relieved I lived up to your expectations. Although, that is a REALLY bad photo of me!

You picked a beautiful restaurant, a very lovely champagne (I was very impressed - I expected/hoped you'd be a drinker of nice champers!!) and your hair looked lovely! I was a flustered-looking tourist, all windswept from the ferry and wished I had a nice summer dress with me rather than boring jeans... funny how we worry about those things! And I laughed when I read about your comment to the waiter - so funny!

I really, really, really enjoyed meeting you and I think they would have had to kick us out at closing time if they hadn't had another booking for lunch! I hope we can do it again when you come to Melbourne!

xo

PS - I just arrived home, put the little one to bed and came to check your blog. I just couldn't wait until tomorrow! Although, I'll post mine tomorrow, otherwise I'll be up all night tweeting it and chatting.

xxx

MegsyJ said...

Oh I got so carried away there that I forgot to say - sorry to hear the rest of your weekend wasn't so great. But glad that the 6yo is OK.

And what is it with shopping? Every time I go, I imagine my toddler walking along happily next to me, waiting patiently as I try things on and not touching anything. Of course, every time, tantrums ensue, she tries to touch everything in each shop and attempts to run off. Sigh.

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Funny - I think you look great in the photo - but I don't like that one of me! But I couldn't not post it. It's proof! And such a great memory to have of our lunch now.

Looking fwd to Melb already! Glad you're safe home. x

Nobody said...

i met a fellow blogger friend last summer for the first time, so i can totally relate to the nervousness and slight awkwardness [in explaining to other people] in the first meeting. :) i'm glad it turned out great for you!

my standout moment of the weekend was getting my children new bikes. :) we're still struggling to teach my 7 year old to ride, so we got him a new bike, my daughter her first tricycle, and went to the park. it was a beautiful day, and we had a great time!

Jade said...

AWESOME! You two look great in that photo too. I'm so pleased to read about all these bloggers meeting up in real life.

I'm contemplating organising something when I'm back in Sydney at the end of the year but I'm thinking it might be too close to Christmas...

Ami said...

Oh that's sooooo gorgeous that you guys got to meet! The pic looks like you're just 2 old buddies catching up!!

My standout moment was on Saturday while Hubby and I were shopping for some 'bigger' clothes for me to take overseas. I walked out of the change rooms with a fitted but nice top on and Hubby exclaimed: Whoa check out the baby bump! It's gettin out there now!! It just made me laugh so much. I've always loved pregnant bellies and now so excited that I have one!

P.S Sorry your weekend got off to a crappy start but so glad it finished on a happy note! xxx

TheRealSydney said...

Great post Jodie --- I am totally addicted to meeting my blog friends ... all my experiences have been really positive --- unlike internet dating !! x