A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, May 17, 2010

BWM Day 2010 Thanks

Wow - what an amazing day it was last Friday for Bloggers Without Makeup Day. 


After originally asking readers to join me for BWM Day earlier last week, it all started to come together on Thursday eve, with many bloggers and tweeps unable to contain their excitement. Avatars on Twitter were changed, and blog posts either posted or scheduled for first thing the next morning (including my own)!


I was excited too. I hardly slept a wink on Thursday night, and woke at 5am Friday morning. At 5.20am, I decided to get up and post BWM. (Hubby thought I had gone mad.) By 5.30am I had tweeted it for the first time, and no sooner had I gone back to my post, there were already entries on the Linky Tool.


And the list just got longer. And longer. And longer. I couldn't believe it. I could hardly keep up with all the tweets and links. The whole thing took me completely by surprise.


Adding to the excitement was this post on BlogHer by Melissa Ford. Later, I received a tweet from The Today Show in the US, advising me that BWM Day was mentioned on their "Today in 2 Minutes" (video here). The next day I awoke, expecting the excitement to have died down, only to find the Linky list had grown and to hear the news (via Twitter, of course) that BWM Day had taken off in the US and UK. Later that morning I spoke with the lovely Susan Whelan of Reading Upside Down who then published this piece on suite101.com. (Loved it, Susan!) And the lovely Kristin of Wanderlust wrote this piece on BlogHer about why she thought BWM Day was a success! (Thanks Kristin - great!) And look out on Twitter this week, as I'll be chatting with the very gorgeous Carol Duncan on 1233 ABC Newcastle at some stage, so I'll let you know when that will be on. I'm sure that afterwards, Carol will blog a little link which I'll also post on my homepage so you can take a listen at your leisure if you can't tune in on the day. 


I received so many well wishes from so many of you over those days, but as I wrote...somewhere...(I've left over 180 comments on blogs and links to pics these last few days - forgive me for not remembering!) the success of BWM Day was due to the contribution by all that took part. I simply put out a little idea (and believe me, I thought it just a little one at the time) and it just went from there. So many of you were busy encouraging others to join in; were re-tweeting posts; tweeting me with encouraging words, and I thank every one of you who did so. You made BWN Day what it was. I can't tell you how emotional it was for me at times, reading some of the blog posts. Women felt liberated by a simple act of posting their true self online - which was the point. That put a huge smile on my face.  

Yes - the whole thing was very exciting. But the most exciting part for me, was seeing all the encouragement and support that every woman gave to every other blogger/tweep. The comments that women left on blogs that took part was so very heartwarming. I know it sounds very cliche - but when women unite, we really can make a difference. 


In the end, we finished with 180 links to blogs or tweeps who had posted makeup free pics (with only a few that were not related to the day - view the full list here). There were a few more links in comments, so all up - a pretty impressive contribution.


Now I have a little surprise for you. I went to all the posts and took a copy of your pics to make this for you! Behold the beauty of those who took part in Bloggers Without Makeup Day 2010:  



It's like a sea of gorgeousness, isn't it?

I've tried to make sure I got everyone's pic. If I've missed any - please forgive me! It was quite the task getting them all. I wish I had also gotten those that had just changed profiles pics on Twitter etc for the day. 



Can I also just say a special thanks to Brenda of MummyTime, who hosts a Flog Yo Blog every Friday (you'll see the button on my homepage), which, last week, she incorporated in with BWM Day; and in the process, no doubt reached a number of people that my little bloggy would not have. (Thanks Brenda!)


I tried to make my own button (that I have above) for those who wanted it for their website, but I couldn't for the life of me work out how. So anyway, if you want, you can copy my button and insert it on your own blog as a picture, and if you want to, link it back to my site where all the links are (here's the link to copy: http://mummy-mayhem.blogspot.com/2010/05/bloggers-without-makeup-day.html), or link it to your own post if you want. I don't mind. Whatever works for you!


You know what? I think we might do it again in 2011. Make it an annual event. Each year we can celebrate our faces as they mature and remember that we really don't need to wear all that stuff if we don't want to. We can celebrate our true selves! Think you might join me?

Jodie

24 comments:

Sarah said...

I hate that I missed the Bloggers Without Makeup Day. What a fantastic idea! I did go ahead and do a post for it just now and look forward to next year's. I'm following you now too. Here is a link to my post though:

http://theweeblesmama.blogspot.com/2010/05/bloggers-without-makeup-day.html

Kristin said...

Wow, gorgeous! Love the compilation your put together! I think this was an incredible experience for all who participated. I'm so glad you came up with your "little" idea. And yes, yes, yes, let's do it again next year. Start early, get the media involved, get some PR behind it. If you want, I'll help on my end. Good work you!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm sorry you missed it too! But at least everyone can link from here. You could also attach this link in the last post - the one with all the links - if you like.

Look fwd to next year! x

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

Hi Jodie,

Love the compilation picture. It was great talking with you on the weekend and it's awesome that your 'little' idea have such an amazing effect. Congratulations to all the amazing women who took part and I can't wait for BWM Day to be bigger and Better in 2011. Count me in!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I am still looking forward to visiting all of the sites. As you said, some stories were extremely touching. Congratulations on creating such a successful event!
Dana

Bernadette Morley said...

Looks unreal. You are a clever lady Miss Jodie :)

Rellacafa said...

I love the collage!! It must have taken a lot of work, so thank you very much! The whole even has been loads of fun :D

Christie said...

Great work creating the compilation of photos, Jodie. I have to commend you on visiting EVERYONE that participated, that took some dedication, not only that but you posted thoughtful and sincere comments on all the ones that I visited (I did not quite make it to all 180!).
So I post this in awe and gratitude,
Christie xx

Kelly Sheehy said...

Wow! That is an amazing collage! I would love to participate again next year. Thank you for putting your idea out there, and allowing it to take flight...it was a beautiful experience.

Lori said...

Amazing Jodie. What a brilliant thing you've done! i'm in for BWM 2011, for sure ;)

Thea said...

What a clever thing you are. That collage looks amazing.
Now, put your feet up and relax for a bit, can you? ;)

Brenda said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Naomi said...

You better do it again next year! I love the collage, and I'll grab the image and link it up! Well done Jodie MWAH, MWAH, MWAH!

Blue Sky said...

I know I didn't take part, but it is a fantastic idea. You are all so brave!

Trish @ my little drummerboys said...

thanks to you Jodie * claps hands wildly* it was awesome to be apart of the inaugural BWM day

MegsyJ said...

You know I think you and your ideas are amazing. Getting the button onto my blog now and DEFINITELY count me in for BWM 2011. :)

xx

Corinne said...

Well done Jodie on a great idea.

Corinne said...

Well done Jodie on a great idea.

Allie said...

Thanks for that compilation, it looks fantastic, and so many gorgeous faces. Tthere was no way I had time to get around to all those blogs, and I can't believe you did (thanks for your comment on mine by the way!) What an amazing movement, I agree, it should be an annual event, well done you! And a mention on the Today Show, we bloggers have power as a group!

Crinau said...

Well done Jodie on a great idea.

MeganK said...

That is amazing Jodie! YOU are amazing!
x

Lulu said...

I am glad it was such a success Jodie!

Thanks for hosting and putting on such a great day for all us bloggers who bared all!

Jill of All Trades said...

This was just awesome and great fun. Congrats on the wonderful response.

Hear Mum Roar said...

Thanks so much for creating this whole experience! And definitely thanks to Brenda from Mummy Time too! She really got behind it, didn't she?

I will be down for this next year as well:)