A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, May 06, 2010

It's Not All Rainbows and Butterflies...

“A mother holds her children’s hands for a while...their hearts forever.” – Author Unknown

As far back as I can recall, whenever anyone asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always replied first, “A mum.” In fact, at my first job interview back in ‘88, I was asked what my long-term goals were. I replied, “Eventually, I’d like to be a mother.” I’m not sure that was the response the head of the company was looking for at the time, but he seemed quite pleased with my answer, and I got the job. ;)

Years later, in 2001, and having moved to a large corporate bank, we were asked at a work team dinner to go around the table and reveal what we would want to do if we weren’t doing our current jobs. Someone wanted to be a novelist, one woman: a jet fighter pilot. One guy, who was particularly vertically challenged, said he’d like to be a professional basketball player. Then it was my turn and, of course, I said, “I know it sounds corny, but I just want to be a mum”.

The following year, my first son was born (very appropriately, I thought, on my Mum’s birthday); and so began the glorious journey of motherhood. I guess once we become parents ourselves we finally appreciate what our parents coped with, put up with and most of all loved about raising us over the years. Because of the large gap between my two sisters and myself, my parents had kids in the house continuously, without a break, for 36 years. Can you imagine?! No wonder they didn’t flinch when I told them I was moving to Sydney in 1995! (Of course, the way the stats are going with what age kids leave home these days, this could also be you, or me – even without the age gaps. Excuse me. * walks off to breathe in to a brown paper bag *)

Yep – as I’ve discovered since my 8yr old was born, being a mum is not always easy. It’s not always fun. And it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. (And quite frankly, motherhood is not for everyone.) But it is all that I hoped for all those years ago, and more. I still reckon, as a mum, I’m doing the best “job” a girl could ask for.

To all of you who are either celebrating being a mother this Sunday, celebrating with your mother this Sunday; and, very especially, to those who have either lost a mother and/or a child and will remember your time with them this weekend (my special thoughts are with you, Bern), I wish for you rainbows and butterflies. Now, and in the future.

Happy Mother’s Day...

Jodie 

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Im just a little bit teary now... Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

Meagan said...

Hi Jodie,
This is the first time I've left a comment here.I love reading your blog..today's pulled at the old heartstrings! Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day surrounded by your boys( as I will with my boys and little girl)! Hope you have a very happy day:)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Oh, thanks Meagan. And thanks for commenting! I love feedback - good or bad - although the good stuff tends to be my favourite. ;)

Hope to see you again! xx

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks Melissa! xx (Looks like you'll need that Kleenex! ;) )

lisa heidke said...

Nice blog, Jodie. Happy Mothers day!

miss carly said...

lovely post xx this mothers day we will be with the boyfriends family. again. i know that must sound so ungrateful of me. but the last three mothers day have been there. christmas was with them.

i guess at least this year we will be at my house for chrissy. though i am not sure if the boyfriend will chuck a hissy fit and decide he would rather spend it with his mum.

sorry. i dont mean to come here and vent. i just cant do it on my blog. stupid boyfriends sister.

Annieb25 said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Jodie. It's nice to be doing the job you always wanted to do. I hope they spoil you rotten. Annie

MegsyJ said...

I'm so envious of people who have always wanted to be Mums! I used to wonder why they didn't want more, but now I understand. It really is the best job... although it is important to remember that even the best jobs have not-so-great days. I think you said to me once, Jodie, that those are the days that make the good times even better!

RenegadeMoms said...

Thank you. I needed this today. I am having Mom suckage day... week.... I needed to be reminded of why I do this.
~RM1

Anj (@anjwrites) said...

How beautiful...thanks and Happy Mothers Day!!

Meagan said...

Hi there Lisa...I read your book recently and I just want to say how much I loved it! are you planning any more to come?

Nomie said...

Beautiful Jodie, Happy, Happy Mothers Day to you xxx