A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

You Can't Wear THAT!

This Friday, the kids get to go "mufti" to school. That means, wearing their casual clothes. That also means, I reckon I'm up for an argument with my kids on what they'll wear.

On Mondays and Fridays, my boys wear their 'formal' uniform to school. During winter (as in, right now!) that means navy pants, black school shoes, white long-sleeved shirt, tie and v-neck navy blue jumper. I'm sure you won't be surprised to read that I find tying my boys’ school ties twice a week quite a tedious task on my to-do list. In fact, I often cheat. I simply loosen their ties at the end of the day, pull it up over their head and then I can slip it back on next time and tighten it. (Thanks to my friend, Nicole for that tip. ;) ) 

That’s not to say I’m not a fan of school uniforms though. When I was in primary school, even though there was an official uniform, hardly anyone wore it (including me). I’m sure it was a nightmare for my Mum coming up with outfits for me seven days a week (not to mention the washing involved). And you know what kids are like…they seem to develop this thing called an 'opinion' fairly early on (what’s up with that?) and suddenly, you’re bringing home your carefully chosen clothing items for them and they’re all like, “Ewww. I’m SO not wearing that.” And then I'm all like, “Great. Glad I dragged your 3yr old brother around Target for 2 hours today. No banana muffins for you!” (No, I wouldn’t really threaten to take their afternoon tea off them. Unless, of course, it was chocolate cake or something and then it’s all on for young and...well, not quite as young. Ahem.)

I’m all for my boys developing their own sense of style and all, but really, I’m sure you can understand when I say I simply must have some say as to what my boys will wear on any given day. Otherwise they’d probably walk around looking like misfits or the like.

As they get older, it’s becoming more and more difficult to sway their opinion on their choice of clothing. So this Friday, I have a plan.

I’m going to show them this picture:


For those of you who don’t follow Gossip Girl (I’m currently hooked - as was evident in this post) this is a character from the show (Chuck Bass, in fact) who is known to make more, let's just say, outlandish clothes choices. As you can no doubt tell from this picture. 

Once I show this pic to my boys, I’m then going to say, “I’ve picked out this outfit for both of you to wear to this Friday’s Mufti Day.” When they protest that they couldn’t possibly wear such an ensemble, I’ll then look sad, and say, “Oh – but the only other thing I have is this,” and I’ll point to what I actually want them to wear. No doubt, they’ll practically knock each other over in their race to get dressed.

Of course I imagine all the parents of girls who are reading this (who are no doubt spellbound by my brilliance) are now wondering what they can do to convince their daughters what to wear on any similar occasion? And so we come to this photo that appeared in my Livin' in the 80s post a while back: 


If you haven’t worked it out already – that’s me above. (Don’t judge. It was 1987. Ok?) Don’t you just love the shoulder pads and panthers on my outfit? Yes. You read that correctly. Panthers. Or maybe they were jaguars? You know what…at this point, I’m quite sure it doesn’t matter. (The damage has already been done.)

So, if you have an issue getting your kids to wear what you want them to and you have a son - use Chuck Bass. If you have a daughter - use me. It's my gift to you. 

Please. Applause is not necessary. You’re welcome.

How about you? Do you have a problem getting your kids to wear your choice of clothing for them? Is there a fashion trend you simply can't stand to see your kids follow? Or maybe you have some tips as to how to get our kids excited about what to wear!  

Jodie

No comments: