A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, July 19, 2010

When The Cat's Away...


I was so tired yesterday. 

Whenever Hubby goes away, I find it difficult to get to bed early. I don’t know why that is, but it is a universal problem I’ve heard – wives or husbands staying up late whilst their partner is away. At least, that seems to be the case within my circle of pals anyway. I doubt that I got to bed much before 1am most nights - and due to an energetic and enthusiastic 3yr old, was up pretty early most mornings.

So I think the moment Hubby walked through the front door, I just wanted to sleep. I didn’t. But I really wanted to. I did have the earliest night I’ve had in weeks last night though – in bed by 10.45pm. I had a whole 8 hours of sleep. Amazing.

The other thing that happens when Hubby goes away is my diet immediately falls in to a decline. By diet, I don’t mean I’m “on a diet” – I mean that I stop eating well-balanced, healthy meals.

This is partly laziness on my part. I’m so tired of cooking meals every night - often two meals; one for the kids, and one for Hubby and I (because, quite frankly, the boys’ tastes are just too bland for my liking most days) – that I get all celebratory by going all simplistic in my approach to eating, by cooking poached eggs for dinner, or eating pizza out or even just some toast will often do (with or without the canned spaghetti). Better still, I’ll often pick up some Thai takeaway for myself.

It’s also partly that I crave a bit of greasy, deep-fried something-or-other for a change. We have a fairly good diet here in the Ansted house. We mostly steer away from pre-packed foods (but not always), and we cook most of our food from scratch, using lots of fresh ingredients. (But don’t imagine it’s like a Masterchef kitchen around here – not quite.)

Although I will sometimes take the kids down with me from our not-so dizzying heights of healthy eating, I do try to make sure they, at least, keep the basics of fruit and veg in their diet - which is more than I can say for myself.

For example, the first Thursday night Hubby was away we headed to the food court at the local Westfield shopping centre. I had KFC that night, as did the 8yo. The 3yo had McDonald’s and the 6yo had a mixture of salmon and avocado sushi with a side order of KFC chips. (He was the only one whose food choices remotely bordered on the healthy side.) However, I did make sure that on our return home, they were offered some healthy fruit and yoghurt. I, on the other hand, ate a little fruit myself…well, that’s if passionfruit cheesecake from The Cheesecake Shop counts.

However, after a few nights of these particular eating practices, the most annoying thing happens: I start to crave good, wholesome, healthy, home-cooked meals again.

Bummer.

After 11 nights of not-so-great meals, I was back in the swing of things and made a yummy meal for Hubby’s return last night: Meatballs with Rigatoni. It was delicious. (I’ve been neglecting the old recipe blog as of late (as well as my Family Movie Reviews one), but I will endeavor to put the recipe up on it in the next couple of days. (The kids and I saw Toy Story 3 on Saturday afternoon too, so I’ll review that for my movie review blog!) Stay tuned.)

Anyway, this can only be a good thing though. I've got two months to go until my 40th birthday, and if I want to be fit, fabulous and forty for that (and I do) then I need to get a move on, and forget about KFC and cheesecake. 

By the way – Hubby had a wonderful trip. He was cycling (over 100kms a day) with some pals and catching some stages of the Tour de France. Lucky him. He’s talking about going again next year. Hmmm. I think the kids and I might join him next time though. Imagine the food I could consume there? Croissants, cheese, wine….yum.

How about you? Do you sleep when your partner is away? What about food? Do you go for simple and easy like me?  

Jodie

1 comment:

ejorpin said...

I red this ages ago and meant to respond, but I since set up my own blog so I wrote a little post instead :) http://jorpins.blogspot.com/2010/10/when-cats-away.html