A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Top 100 Baby Names

The other day, Kidspot listed the Top 100 baby names in Australia.


Choosing your child's name isn't easy. Everyone has their specific requirements for a name. My friend, T, wanted "strong" names for her boys. ie anything with one syllable, basically. For example, the name 'Daniel' would not be a choice for her, but 'Dan' might be.


Some choose a name that's popular because they don't want their child teased for being called Pilot Inspektor or Daisy Boo (both actual names given to celebrity kids). Some choose these completely whacky unique names because they want their kids to be teased different to everyone else and stand out. Sometimes, that can be a good thing. Sometimes....not so much.


With Hubby and I, we didn't really want a popular name for our kids. Basically Jodie was one of the most popular girls' names in the 70s. At least, it felt that way. At one point, there were probably five Jodie's in my primary school class alone. Well ok, that's maybe a slight exaggeration, but there was definitely three of us at one point. I really didn't like that my name was like so many others'.


Hubby grew up with a name that wasn't mainstream (but is now!) and he kind of liked that. There was certainly no confusion as to who his teacher was talking to when she called his name.


Having said that, since choosing our first son's name (which isn't actually 'the 8yo' in case you weren't certain about that ;) ) it has become more popular. It's on Kidspot's Top 100 Baby Names list, in fact. The other two though...nowhere to be found. However, the 6yo was rather disappointed at the beginning of this year when he found out another boy with his name was starting school in Kindy. (To be honest, we were very surprised. It's not a name you hear often at all.) The 6yo loves that he's different, and by far, his name is the one that most people make positive comments on. Add to that his flock of 'orange' hair (as he likes to describe it) and his bright blue eyes and BINGO - he feels special. 


When I told him about the boy with his name, he looked up at me and asked quite nervously, "He doesn't have orange hair, does he?" Funnily enough, the other boy is the complete opposite to the 6yo as he has dark hair, eyes and skin.


Our boys' names aren't kooky; just a little different, and we like it like that.


If we'd had a girl, my main priority with choosing a girl's name was not only that it not be mainstream (like mine) but that it wasn't, well, too 'girly'. Growing up with a girly name, I'll be honest when I say I still feel kind of strange now introducing myself at the age of 40 with what I feel is a little girl's name. In fact, seeing that there is absolutely no plan to have any more children, I can tell you that had we had a girl, we would have named her Greta. To me, the name was appropriate for a little girl, but also for a woman. I mean, name choice can be important later on in life, don't you think? Imagine, for example, you're a big, hot-shot lawyer and you walk in to a boardroom to introduce yourself and you have to say, "Hi, my name is Petal Ansted." I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.


But I guess that's the point. It's all a matter of personal opinion, isn't it?


Do you like your name? If not, and you could change it, what would you change it to? How did you choose your kids' names? Why did you choose the names you did?


Jodie



2 comments:

Cinda said...

I did want to change my name when I was in kindergarten. I remember watching the Brady Bunch and I loved Cindy's curly hair and I wanted to change my name from Cinda to Cindy but it didn't go too well when I told my mum. Well, anyway my full name is actually Lucinda and I've never really used it only at school and when my mum was angry at me. She named me after a book she had read called "Who is Lucinda?" written by Hermina Black a popular author back in the 60s. I wouldn't know what to change it to now but I'm happy to be called Cinda.

bronnie@dizzydaisy.com said...

I hated my name as I child. I was the only Bronwyn I knew - in fact I didn't meet another one until I was about 20. I was mortified when a school project was to look up what our names mean - mine was Welsh for 'white breast'. When I was older I used 'Rani' as my night-out name. You know, when you meet a guy and don't want him to track you down, so you give him another name and another number rather than hurt his feelings. I don't know why I liked that name but I just did and still do!