A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, November 29, 2010

Having a Rant: The I'm-SO-Over-The-School-Year Syndrome

It's almost the end of the 2010 school year and, quite frankly, it can't finish soon enough.

I'm over it. BIG time.

Firstly, I'm over school lunches. If I see one more vegemite sandwich and have to cut one more apple in to teeny-tiny bite sized pieces to make it acceptable for my sons' morning munch-n-crunch snack, I might actually go mad.

I don't want to wash drink bottles every night.

I don't want to hunt down lost lunch boxes at school anymore. Like, every week.

I don't want to hunt down lost jumpers, hats and swimming goggles from the lost property basket at school. In fact, if I have to go through that basket just One. More. Time (it's essentially dirty washing in there, people) I might throw a hissy fit.

I don't want to nag my kids to do their homework anymore.

I don't want to remind myself what excursions are on, and which day they have to wear their swimmers under their uniform - and by the way: what uniform should they wear? Sports or formal?

I don't want to go to after school activities anymore. I don't want to watch tennis, swimming and cricket training.

I don't want to have another weekend that is filled with activities each day.  I just want to sleep in the morning knowing that I don't have to be anywhere if I don't want to be.

I don't want to attend any more school related meetings. I've loved my role on the P&F Committee - especially writing for the P&F in the school newsletter - but now I need a break.

I just want the school year to end now.

Before it does though, there will be school/daycare concerts and other school-related planned activities.

I'm just gonna have to suck it up. Yep - I have the I'm-SO-Over-The-School-Year Syndrome.

But come mid-December, I'm in all-day pyjama mode, ya'll.


Are you looking forward to the end of the year? 

Jodie

  

20 comments:

Widge said...

I hear ya!
come school hols and I'll be over the kids being home pretty quickly though too

Sarah said...

So excited for the school holidays for the same reasons as well. Yayness!

Kathy said...

Yep! Couldn't agree more ;-)

MomAgain@40 said...

Thumbs up! Very funny!
Extremely looking forward to holidays and no more mad rushing around.

Fiona said...

Looking forward to dozing in front of the cricket!

dramaqueen75 said...

I just got home from the Monday madness. I race home from work, put children number 2 and 3 in the car. Drop number 2 to drum lessons and sit and wait in car with number 3 for half an hour.
Leave drum lessons and drive to pick up number 1 from her HSC drama class that finishes at 5.30. Usually runs late so number 2 and 3 bicker and argue in the car for 15 minutes while we wait.
Pick up number 1, we all drive to drop her off at ballet class.
Finally, after an hour and a half in the car we get home and i have the joy of preparing dinner.
Yep, bring on the holidays!

River said...

Oh I love all-day-pyjama mode!!
Doesn't happen nearly enough around here.

Bronnie and family said...

Amen Sister. Can't wait until we can sleep in and wear whatever the hell we want. Though I guarantee after a few minutes I will be over the: 'I'm bored' claims ....)

Lucy said...

I totally agree. Others may bemoan the school holidays, but I bloody LOVE the school holidays. Jammie day, anyone?!

Kim said...

BRING.IT.ON!

Shamozal said...

Oh you are singing my song sister! I was bemoaning how I had missed the registration for the next lot of after school activities at our school this morning and a fellow mother told me that she sets a timer in her phone to remind her......I couldn't help it, out of my mouth came "oh fuck off we're not doing THAT now are we?" Just another thing.

Fleur McDonald said...

Mate, I am too. 'Mum I need to take this for an excursion,' 'Mum, I can't find my lunch,', 'Hello Mrs McDonald? Your daughter wasn't at school on the 4th of Nov. Why was that?' oh, and lets not forget the bullying that happens to my son, because he's a bit different. There's my rant!

Lorraine The Party Times said...

Can't wait for December PJ days - let there be many!!!!

Lightening said...

I can't wait for holidays either. I think everyone is ready for them this year. Mind you, our school holidays tend to be just as busy in a different way but at least it's a fun way. My kids are so sick of lunch boxes. They can have so much more variety when they're at home!

I think I'm counting down the days even more so than my kids are at the moment.

Linda T said...

I remember those feelings, I was glad when my last one left school and there were no more assignments

Sam said...

Oh yeah I so relate cos I am counting down to the holidays too!

Jacki said...

Mine aren't at school yet but I've always expected that I'd be freaking out by the time school holidays roll around. How on earth do you keep kids amused all summer?!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Thanks all for your comments. Seems I'm not the only one!

Jacki - To be honest, I used to freak out about holidays too - some time to myself...over! But once you have at least two kids at school, the whole sports and after school activities are so darn frustrating by the end of the year, a break from it is heaven! Even if the kids are complaining.

As for keeping kids amused...we always plan some activities - trips to the park, movies, lunch out somewhere, pool that sort of thing, but then we have days when we're just at home. I need to get stuff done, and it's ok for them to just relax a bit. One thing I've found that amuses them for aaaages, is making play dough with them. Takes little time, they love doing it (especially mixing the food colouring with the dough) and then they spend a while making stuff with it. We'll also make a trip in to the city one day to see all the Christmas trees & decorations etc. Before you know it...it's over!

Thea said...

Only 2 1/2 days to go here, not that I'm counting!
And I only have one child in school who does no outside school or home activities....I cannot complain...too loudly! :)

Smudgeblurr said...

As a teacher (but not a parent) I am not sure who is looking forward to the holidays more - us or parents or the kids??