A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Kitchen Gadgets: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly


Why?
Kitchen gadgets. There are some really great, useful ones out there (one of which, I'll tell you about very soon), and there are some that leave you asking: why?


Take fairy floss and hot dog makers for example. I don't get it. Who eats that much fairy floss that they need to make it at home? And aren't hot dogs, like, officially the easiest things in the world to cook? Throw them in a pot of boiled water and simmer for a little. Even easier than soft boiled eggs in my opinion.




Well actually, I have an egg poacher for that sort of thing. My Mum gave it to me. It's just like the one she's been using for easily over 20 years. In fact, I can't remember a time in my youth during which a poached egg wasn't served up to me in a triangular shape. Then Mum found one in a secondhand shop - brand new. Never been used. All in the original packaging and everything, and proudly handed it to me, saying, "This will change your life."


Ok, she didn't really say that...but it is still one of my fave kitchen gadgets, and used weekly. Sometimes a few times a week.


My mother-in-law bought me a popcorn maker years and years ago, and I admit it - I thought, 'Okaaaaay. Am I really going to use this?' Oh, yes indeedy I will! And I did! In fact, it probably gets whipped out almost weekly to make a fresh bowl of hot, buttery popcorn that the boys (and Hubby and I) enjoy whilst watching a movie together.


Then recently I talked on my recipe blog - Mummy Mayhem's Recipe Box - about a hand-operated veggie chopper. I even gave one away. It really is marvellous, and I thought I'd found my new fave kitchen gadget.


But then recently, the people at Braun (well, their PR company) sent me something that has become my new best friend in the kitchen. And honestly - I wouldn't say that unless I really mean it. It's BRILLIANT!


It is the Braun Multiquick Cordless (yes, cordless!). Behold...




Oh my Lord. It chops in seconds! Braun sent over a few recipes to try out and the boys and I made hamburgers that night. (They were yummy - get the recipe HERE.) Needless to say, the kids were busting to help out. (And now, I can't use my Braun without one of them asking if they can 'have a go'.)


Here's the 3yr old chopping the carrots...(They ended up a little small, because he loved holding the button down!)




Here's the 6yr old chopping the celery...






Here's the 8yr old chopping the onions...




And here's all the ingredients ready to go in the bowl...




You get the picture, right? Easy and fun. (And my personal experience is, that if they cook something with you, they're more likely to eat it!)


I even used the Braun to cut up the herbs and the garlic...all of it. (The garlic I had to chop a little finer myself, but it gave me a good head start, because my garlic crusher died a while back.) I also had instant breadcrumbs after whizzing through some bread it it. Nice.


Hubby and I have used it to puree soup, whip up some milkshakes for us the kids and it washes our clothes for us! Ok, it doesn't really do that. But it's super. If you want one, they retail for $249.95 and in stores now. 


So tell me - what's the best kitchen gadget you've ever bought, and what's the worst? Do share...

Jodie

10 comments:

Aussie-waffler said...

I actually picked up one of those cordless multi-chopping babies (not a Braun though) about a month ago and I love, love, LOVE it. Any appliance that gives me almost instant fresh green curry paste is a winner in the Waffler household :)

Jacki said...

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets. I love them! Though, I did have to draw the line when my husband wanted us to buy a doughnut maker!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

The cordless is great too, because you can leave it on the bench and more likely to use it. It's very easy to clean as well - BONUS! ;)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

A doughnut maker in this house would be disastrous. We'd all end up the size of a house! ;)

Vanessa said...

Ever heard of a Thermomix? Google it and be amazed!

samantha currie said...

So funny you should post this on a day I was lusting after a kitchen appliance....yes, that's right - lusting after a kitchen appliance! Have you seen this yet? Oh Kenwood, yes - I will marry you!
http://www.kenwood-australia.com/products/product_details.asp?Model=HB791

MuffinMonsterBB said...

have a fairy floss maker lol I used it twice. I wish I had all the gadgets out there I want em all ALLLLLL

Maxabella said...

It looks like a multi-funtional, kitchen-whizzing dildo... x

river said...

My favourite kitchen gadget is my blender. It does everything your Braun can do and crushes ice. :-D

Posie Patchwork said...

We have a Braun from a million years ago, never fails, chops, dices, purees, thousand uses when cooking for a large family. I do love all the accessories for the KitchenAid, we make our own sausages, pasta, gelato, everything!! We buy it gifts for Christmas, love Posie