A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The Mother's Day Classic 2011 - No More Excuses

That's it, people. No more excuses. No more "I'll start on Monday" empty promises that I make to myself constantly - I'm getting back in to the swing of things.


I'm joining in this week on my gorgeous friend, Nomie's weekly blog hop over at her blog, Under The Yardarm where she writes about her training leading up to the Mother's Day Classic next year. (And read Shelley from My Shoebox Life's guest post this week.) 


I've put my hand up to join in. Admittedly, not to run. I don't like running. Never have. In school, when we'd have to do those cross country things...blurgh!  Not my thing at all.  


But that's just me. 


I'm not surprised though to hear just how many get hooked on running. To me, it seems to happen a lot when people reach their 30s - they discover a way to both exercise and clear their head and feel great (and perhaps get out of a noisy house for a bit). ;) 


That's what walking does for me. It clears my head, I feel great, I feel less tired and I start to lose those little extra wobbly bits that persist around my waist. Bye, bye, suckers...


Regular exercise is important to me. My Dad has always been very fit. At the age of 70, my family and I bought Dad a bike (up until then, he'd made use of my old, clunky Indi 500), which he cycled every day - 10kms at a time. When he hit 80, Hubby and I bought another bike for him - one that was easier for him to ride. He's always had boundless energy, and if his dodgy knees didn't restrict him so much, he'd be doing a lot more than he currently can. 


My Mum, on the other hand, never did any formal exercise at all when I was growing up. We did, however, walk everywhere. My Mum never got her driver's licence (can you imagine?), so when all the other kids were being driven to school, or to the shops, my Mum and I would hit the pavement together. 


And I loved our walks. We'd have a good chat and get out in the sunshine, and I had a lot of energy for doing so.


However, the older my Mum got, the less walking she did. My sister bought her some cool walking sneakers years ago, and they were only ever worn to the shops and around the house - never on a walk around the block. 


My Mum is paying the price for her lack of exercise now. She can barely get up from her chair, and after a few short metres, she becomes out of breath and her legs start to pain. 


I don't want that to happen to me. 


I was talking to friends recently, and we were talking about our exercise regimes (mine, of which I had advised them, had fallen by the wayside since my 40th birthday). One friend said, "So when can you just stop and think, 'That's it - I don't care anymore. I'm just going to let myself go and stop the exercising?'" 


I would hope the answer to that is: never. 


In order to live a long, happy and healthy life, I think daily exercise - even a short half hour walk a day - is essential, and I hope and pray I continue to do that. 


So, whilst I won't be running the Mother's Day Classic next year (registration is in Feb - I'll keep you posted), I'll be there: walking. And I will be fit, healthy and most importantly, happy. 


Who's going to join me?

Jodie

No comments: