A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Movie Review: A Christmas Carol

Christmas just isn't Christmas without a Christmas movie or two.

When I was a kid, Christmas Eve was the big night for Christmassy type shows. I recall watching Mickey Mouse cartoons and now, funnily enough, my boys watch Mickey Mouse every year as well (thank goodness for DVDs, huh)?

I've bought the boys a few Christmas-themed movies and DVDs over the years, and come December, we whip them out and watch them over and over again, and I can't help but smile when I see the excitement from my kids build about Santa's imminent arrival. I'm all for setting the whole Christmas theme up around here.

Recently, I was sent a copy of Disney's A Christmas Carol. Directed by the amazing Bob Zemeckis it stars Jim Carrey, Colin Firth (*swoon*), Gary Oldman and Robin Wright (as well as many more other great actors).

A Christmas Carol is the adaptation of the 1843 classic Charles Dickens novel of the same name and is about Ebenezer Scrooge - a man who despises everything about Christmas. The ghost of Scrooge's business partner, Jacob Marley - who died seven years prior on Christmas Eve - visits Scrooge to tell him that if he doesn't change his greedy ways, he will end up like him - carrying heavy chains throughout life in eternity. Jacob warns him he will be visited by three spirits who will guide him.

And so begins Scrooge's journey to being a better man when he is visited by the Ghost of Christmas Present, the Ghost of Christmas Past and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

The 8yr old saw a cartoon version of the novel last year in school, so he was instantly drawn to and fascinated by the story. However, he was also amazed by the technology used in the film. As Robin Wright, one of the film's stars said on being interviewed about the movie:
"...I think this advanced technology that you’re going to see in the movie, is unlike anything you’ve ever seen in the 3D forum. Bob Zemeckis really is an originator, and I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything like it."
Here's a trailer I found on You Tube for the film:



I tell you. Kid's movies have come a loooooong way since the 70s. ;)

In my opinion, the movie is suited to children aged 8+. We sat down all three boys to start watching, because my boys have always been pretty good about scary themes in movies (although the 3yr old prefers to have his brothers close by when he watches Darth Vader on Star Wars)! Our 3yr old was not keen to watch it after a little while - "too scary, Mummy" (although, towards the end he came back in the room and insisted he wasn't scared at all and watched the last 10 minutes of it), and as soon as Jacob Marley's ghost appeared in the film, the 6yr old was out too (a family member once told him that ghosts were real, and ever since he's had a thing about ghosts). You know your own kids, so go by what you think they're comfy with. The 8yr old thought it was great!

I did too.

A Christmas Carol is out NOW on Disney Blu-ray and DVD.


What's your favourite Christmas movie? 

Jodie

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I love Muppet xmas carol :)