A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

How to Party Like Madonna

I went to a 40th birthday party last Saturday where the theme was "80s style" and it was so much fun!

I was in my teens in the 80s. Some of you may have seen my post Livin' In The 80s where I shared (so generous of me, I know) some of my 80s outfits. Oh, yeah. I was the epitome of high 80s coolness. *cough*

Anyway, I actually got to relive that era last weekend.

I think pretty much as soon as I opened the invitation (a CD which was printed with all the info as well as the birthday boy's face on the bodies of U2's Bono, Indiana Jones, Michael Jackson and Duran Duran's Nick Rhodes - and included a bunch of 80s songs to get you in the mood) I pretty much knew I wanted to dress like Madonna.

Why? Am I a huge fan you ask? No, not really. I think I just liked the idea of lace and jewellery and big hair. I chose Madonna's Like a Virgin days as my inspiration, and I thought I'd share what I bought - you know, in case you have to do this yourself some day. Natch.

You're welcome. ;)

Firstly, I searched the Internet for inspiration, and funnily enough, it didn't come from Madonna herself, but from Audrina Partridge - one of the stars of the now kaput show The Hills - who dressed up like Madonna herself. Here's Audrina in Madonna mode.


Now, I knew straight away I couldn't do the boots. I don't own a pair of white boots (surprisingly), and quite frankly, I wasn't prepared to buy a pair just for the occasion. (They're not really me.) I also knew I couldn't do the lace camisole/teddy type thingy Audrina's wearing over her black bra. Hey - I'm not 20, you know. Besides...I'd just feel too...exposed or something doing that. 

Oh, and I couldn't do the toned, slightly tanned arms either. Ah, well....

In any case, I came up with my own thing that I think worked just fine.

Here's me in Madonna mode:

Eat your heart out, Madonna

Dammit. Should have gone with the spray tan.

Here's how I found everything. 

Finding a top was tricky, so I actually found a short dress that I turned up slightly so it sat under my tulle skirt nicely, and gave the bodice effect I was looking for. The hardest thing to source - believe it or not - were the black three-quarter length leggings. Wrong time of year, I guess. After searching through about 4 or 5 stores, I finally found a pair. 

Let me tell you where I sourced everything from, starting from the top:

1. Lace headband - from Dotti (a store I had never entered in to before today)
2. Black bow with lace - eQUIP (fashion jewellery store)
3. Silver hoop earrings - eQUIP
4. Necklace - Dotti
5. Bracelet set - Forever New
6. Dress - Dotti
7. Tulle skirt - Costume Direct - online costume shop
8. Black lace gloves - One of those 'two dollar' shops
9. Black three-quarter length leggings - Sussan
10. White ankle socks with lace - Costume Direct
11. White sandals - Mine. I bought them from Esprit a while back and they were the closest match I had.

Having naturally wavy hair, I just washed it, popped in some product and it got that wavy, 80s-permed look. 

Hubby had hoped to go as Ronald Reagan, but finding a mask was near impossible! Or, by the time we found one, it was too late to order, so he went as Indiana Jones instead. We ordered him a hat and whip from the same costume store. He wore his own brown boots, beige pants, white shirt and brown leather jacket. Easy.

The party was so much fun. Everyone dressed up. Here are some pics:

Cyndi Lauper, Strawberry Shortcake (our host) & Boy George

The birthday boy as a Ghostbuster 

Hubby & I arrive


Jane Jetson and her Ghostbuster hubby

My friend, Jen & her hubby as Trekkies


George Michael arrives with his very 80s chic wife
(shoulda seen the bow on her bum!)

There was a Rubik's cube (very imaginative), Greg Norman, a Miami Vice outfit (white suit with bright coloured top and all) and a guy who looked just like Adam Ant. There was also a girl dressed as Michael Jackson, complete with red jacket, white surgical mask and baby in arms (a doll). Brilliant! The hosts had a dance floor erected over their pool and the DJ was great. He played all the classics - many of which were faves of the attendees, because the hosts asked us to all give our favourite 80s song when we sent through our RSVP. (I chose Rock the Casbah by The Clash!) They had lasers, a smoke machine and bubble machine giving that feeling we were at an 80s disco (complete with Kiss, Michael Jackson and Madonna posters on the 'walls'). Woot! I danced the night away.

Another great thing they did was hire an old fashioned photo booth. On arrival, everyone chose a tag out of a container and had to wear it around their wrist. On the tag was someone's name and you had to find that person and have your photo taken with them in the photo booth. I also got some pics with Hubby and with my friend, Jen. We got to keep half of the four pics taken, and the other two went in to an album for the birthday boy to remember his big day by (which I saw just yesterday - it was fabulous).

Quite frankly, even if he didn't have the album, I doubt he'll forget his big night any time soon - completely memorable. For me too. I felt 'young' again. Sigh. ;)

If you were heading to an 80s party - what would you wear? What fashions spring to mind when you think of that period?

Jodie

17 comments:

Looking for Blue Sky said...

*looks embarrassed* I still have my Madonna gear from the 80s and dig it out from time to time for parties. Jodie, you look absolutely fabulous including the arms. Glad you had such a fantastic time.

In Real Life said...

It looks like you had so much fun! Your costume is fabulous! Neat!

Thea said...

I usually hate dress-up parties.
Not sure if it's because it's so much effort, or I'm worried I'll look stupid. Probably a bit of both.
But you look soooooo adorable, and all the photos make it look like so much fun, you might have just about converted me!!

Megan Blandford said...

Love the costume!

Dannie said...

hmmm well my 40th is comming up in june so that is a great idea i am so 80's love the music etc...
Thanks for the ideas :-)

Linda T said...

My sister had an 80's party for her 40th and I went as Stevie Nicks, (without the long hair) I sourced a batwing sleeve top and long flowy skirt with hoop earrings and black choker necklace. There was bananarama, Fergie (as in duchess), Dynasty and Dallas characters, it was so much fun.

I'm a bit like Thea, not a huge fan of dress ups but the 80's was fun.

MMBB said...

how fun I love dress up parties. When I think of the 80s I think of Fluoro, Scrunchies, Legwarmers, perms and Taffeta.

I'd wearing one of those awful taffeta dresses, they're so fun :) big bows, drop waist, puff sleeves. choice.

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

To be honest - I'm not always a fan of the dress up thing either, but I thought the 80s would be great, and I was right! Hubby was a bit resistant, but he went along with it in the end. ;)

Lori @ RRSAHM said...

Go Jodie!! You look so awesome, well done!!

I am loving Strawberry Shortcake- where did she get that costume?? I wants!!!! ;)

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Lori - She bought it in America. I had friends order costumes from America too (the Trekkies). MUCH cheaper. The shipping costs can be a killer though if you don't get on to it early enough. S.C. looked great. The men were very impressed with her long socks! She bought the shoes in a garage sale for $5. How good is that?

Michelle said...

oh Yay! you looked fabulous!!!!

MultipleMum said...

Look at you! Totally 80s glam (although I have to say that I don't recall Madonna being a sandals and socks kinda gal?). I am not really into the whole 'dress up' thing but 80s would have made for a fun night!

Christie said...

You looked fantastic! Well done! I'm with Lori, I'd love an excuse to dress up as Strawberry Shortcake, so cute! (and I've always said that my white hair would dye pink very nicely!!)

Brenda said...

Well hello there Virgin Mama! ; )

Kim said...

Jodie, you looked awesome! Madonna was my idol in the 80s and 90s; I never really loved her music that much, but I think she did amazing things for feminism and female sexuality.

Christie, let me dye your hair at Christmas!!! xx

River said...

What? No pointy cone boobs?
Never mind, you made a great Madonna.

Leggings of all lengths can be bought anytime of year from dance supply shops usually.

Maxabella said...

What a fab party! Your costume is fantastic. I love that Strawberry Shortcake too.

The idea of the photobooth is brilliant (I'm stealing it for my 40th next year!!) x