A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, January 31, 2011

Meet My Friend: Elizabeth - Chasing Her Dream

Another Perfect Day
Meet one of my friends.

This year, I thought I'd introduce you to some of my friends. Everyone has a story, and many of my friends have some interesting ones and/or experiences to share. Some of my friends will guest post. Some I'll write about (with their permission of course).

Today, I want to tell you about Elizabeth - or Liz - as she's known to many.

I've known Liz since our eldest son's went to daycare together. Many years. Although, to tell you the truth, I've only really gotten to know Liz better in the last couple of years. Our boys attend school together.

Liz and I have one thing in particular in common in that we both rediscovered a little late in our lives a passion for creativity. For me, it was writing. (I used to love writing short stories in primary school and high school, but never wrote another thing until I started writing in the school newsletter on behalf of the P&F a couple of years ago, which eventually led me to blogging here.)

Two White Birds at Night
For Liz it was painting.

When she was 6, Liz won a whopping 50 cents in a Sun Herald "Paint a Poster" competition. So it may come as a surprise to you that she never thought about pursuing her art until many, many years later.

In 2008, Liz couldn't decide what to give her husband for his birthday. She suddenly thought she could have a go at producing a painting as a surprise for him, and he loved it! She did the same for her father's birthday, and he encouraged her to continue with her art.

Her family is an artistic one: her brother being a well-known northern beaches artist here in Sydney, and her parents both artistic themselves. After that first painting in 2008, Liz started reading art books and studying other artist's works and eventually, she realised she had found her 'thing'.

Gobsmacked
But she was very quiet about her talent, I have to say. In June 2009, I was chatting to Liz after school one day and I asked what she was up to that weekend. She said, "Well, I'm embarrassed to tell you to be honest, but I'm actually having an art exhibition, with a group of other artists, on Sunday." I had NO IDEA Liz could paint.

I turned up to the exhibition, not quite knowing what to expect to be honest, and quickly found her stall. I was completely gobsmacked by her pieces. I got there maybe an hour after it had opened - perhaps even less - and Liz had already sold six paintings by then. Six! She then sold another three that day, and received four commissions. Pretty good for her first exhibit, huh? Since then she's gone on to sell around 45 paintings. She has been one busy chooky!

But here's the reason I really wanted to tell you about Liz today. Liz is actually holding her first solo exhibition from the 1 February through to the 25 February. If you have some spare time, and you're perhaps in the market to buy something (prices range from $200 to $750 per painting) to complete that wall at home, why don't you go and take a look? (I own one of Liz's paintings myself. I think her work is AMAZING! ) Here are just some of the pieces...

Ladies in Red on the Lounge

Blue Green Abstract

Naive Family Commission 2

Fields of Gold

Urban Landscape


Here are the details for Liz's exhibition:

Where: Lane Cove Music and Cultural Centre
              266 Longueville Road, Lane Cove
When:  1 February through to 25 February
              on  Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays
Time:   10 am to 4pm

To make an appointment outside these times, call the centre on (02) 9427 8027. 

You can check out more of Liz's paintings on her Fine Arts America website here, but also note that Liz has some new pieces that will be unveiled at the exhibition! I'll definitely be stopping by!

Thanks Liz for letting me write this post. I believe wholeheartedly in your work, and I wish every success for you.

No comments: