A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Movie Review - The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Do your kids love magic?

Thanks to Walt Disney Home Entertainment, I was sent a copy of the newly released The Sorcerer's Apprentice recently starring Nicolas Cage (who brings his lovable quirkiness to the film) and the very funny Jay Baruchel.

I don't think my boys have had such a positive response to a film in a looooong time. I think because it has a bit of everything: action, adventure, humour, a bit of good vs evil (who doesn't love that stuff?) and, of course, magic.

In fact, the 8yo went through a very big stage of being fascinated by magic tricks and the film incorporates it with flair, adding high tech effects using LOTS of imagination!

Actually, before I saw the film, I had the pleasure of sending through some interview questions to an American award-winning magician - Johnny Ace Palmer. (Apparently, Mattel used his knowledge to help them design some of the Harry Potter merchandise - to give it that authentic magician touch. Cool.)

I'm not sure if Johnny expected some of the questions I asked him though. In fact, there was one he didn't answer about when he appeared on Letterman. (I asked him if Letterman asked him to magically make his affair with a colleague go away, or did he just spend most of the time trying to hit on Johnny's assistant? Hmmm. Maybe he doesn't have an assistant and that's why he didn't answer that one?)

Anyway, here are the questions Johnny did answer.

Jodie: What magic tricks did you very first start performing? Were rings and rope or egg cups involved?

Johnny: Initially, coins and cards were the items I used to do magic. As I expanded my repertoire, I did use rings, rope, and cups, as well as
many other ordinary items. My best trick is now the Cups and Balls.

Jodie: I heard you won a Grand Prix. Congratulations! I didn't realise you
were in to car racing as well. Do you use your magic when driving?

Johnny: Very funny! Although I have driven a NASCAR race car on the California
Speedway, I am best at magic, and that’s what I won the Grand Prix in
at the 1988 International Federation of Magic Societies’ convention
(FISM ‘88), where  a judge told me, “You made me love magic again!”
That’s when I realized I was doing what I was supposed to.

Jodie: Do you ever show anyone your magician's secrets, and if so, are you
able to show me how I can make a bling ring appear for myself? My

Johnny: Generally speaking, a good magician never tells a
secret. The exception to that rule is: unless it’s to another magician.
Magicians are a wonderful bunch. We are a special brotherhood, and
share generously with one another. Although I’d like to show you how to
make a bling ring appear, my wife would be the one to advise you on
that. If your husband does give you one, as Billy McComb used to say,
“If it’s adjustable, I’d be suspicious.”

Good advice there, Johnny. But still...how is it a magician can whip out a rabbit and not a ring? Hmph!

Trust me - the movie is great. The boys laughed out loud in parts and were on the edge of their seats in others. There are definitely bits that are a little on the scary/thrilling side - but even the 4yr old could handle it. (Oh, and I kinda loved it too. Ssssh.)

Here's a clip from the film:


Fabulous. 

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is rated PG and available on DVD ($39.95) and Blu-ray ($49.95) NOW!

Jodie x

No comments: