A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, March 17, 2011

To Face Your Fears

I hadn't planned to write another post this week before my weekly wrap up tomorrow, but I was flicking through a book I purchased recently and I found a quote that made me think of many of you...and out came this post...


You may have noticed a number of posts flying around on other blogs about a little old blogging conference on this weekend.

This Saturday, I'll be joining a bunch of other bloggers at the inaugural Aussie Bloggers Conference (or 'ABC'). MUCH excitement. There are so many people I'm dying to meet IRL, as well as catch up with those I've already met.

I'll also be getting up to read one of my old blog posts in front of everyone, which I'm feeling very excited and rather relaxed about. (Although, I'm sure I'll have a few little butterflies closer to my reading. Doubt I'd be human if I didn't!) I mean, don't expect Oprah up there or anything, but I think I'll get through without too much drama. (Crosses fingers.)

Apart from concerns over what to wear, I've also noticed a number of posts, tweets and Facebook status updates from other bloggers who are rather concerned about the prospect of meeting and talking to people they haven't met before. I've read more than a few times that some bloggers anticipate themselves hyperventilating in the corner of the room.

Being a mild extrovert myself, I'm pretty relaxed about that stuff, but I know for a fact it's not everyone's cup of tea. And of course, it's not difficult to imagine that a lot of people who write, do so because it's far easier for them to express themselves that way than it is to tell people all that stuff up close and personal. There's something to be said for having control of your words. The delete button is a handy thing. ;)

But, you know, I don't anticipate I'll be drilled on Saturday. I'm sure it'll be some rather easy going banter amongst everyone, because hey - most of us are in this blogging thing for fun and personal fulfillment, right? We're doing something we enjoy, which right off the bat, gives us all something in common.

I found some books recently in a little gift shop, that I then went and purchased on Booktopia (for half the price!) that I just love. At the time I found them, I was having a rather average week, and the first page I opened gave me a quote that I immediately could relate to. Flicking through it again this morning whilst trying to motivate myself to get up (I am so not a morning person), I found this quote:


to face your fears

Until you do, you remain in chains.
Never underestimate your courage.
Be positive in your approach.
If necessary, take it in stages.
Often your fear is outdated, 
or based on a misunderstanding or misapprehension.
Once you break the spell, you're free.
Look it straight in the eye.
Back yourself.

~ Patrick Lindsay from 
'It's Never Too Late... - 174 simple acts to change your life'

Fear is what keeps us from doing a lot of things we want to do in life. Pushing through the fear is difficult, but if we don't, we'll end up missing out on so much, and hey - life is about enjoying ourselves, right? My fave saying always comes to mind, "Man cannot discover new oceans, until he has courage to lose sight of the shore." ~ Old Chinese Proverb

If you're worried about this weekend, please don't be. There are so many in the same boat as you, and really - what's the worst that could happen? I'm pretty sure, for example, if I happen to fall down on my way to the podium to read my blog post, at least a half-dozen people will jump up from their seats and help me up. For the most part, the blogging world is a very supportive one. That support, I believe, will transfer through to real life. Besides...you've already taken that first step in actually going. Facing your fears. Awesome.

If you're going on Saturday...see you then! If you're not, then look out for my tweets and an update next week.

17 comments:

SquiggleMum said...

Nicely said Jodie. I too am feeling pretty relaxed about the weekend, but then I'm an extrovert myself. I think you make a great point about the fact that we are coming together as a community. If you fall down, friends will be there to help you up.

SOL's view said...

Good luck and have fun. :)

Funnily enough, several years ago I'd reached a cross road and couldn't decide what I wanted to do. I flipped the desk calendar and found that proverb. The next day was another one in a similar vein...

... I quit my full time job and went to uni fulltime.

SOL's view said...

@ SquiggleMum - Do we read another blog in common?? I think I just saw you there. :)

Megan Blandford said...

Great post, Jodie. I love that quote.

Can't wait to see you! x

Danielle said...

Fantastic post Jodie:-) I will see you Friday oh thats tomorrow right lol...

River said...

I'm seeing this more as stepping out of my comfort zone. I find that if I do something that I'm uncomfortable with in the beginning, I'll get used to it, then eventually it will be something I do routinely. Then I'll try something else that's out of my comfort zone.
For me, going to Sydney is nothing much, but having to make conversation with so many new friends, that's a big deal, but I'm looking forward to it.

AlyceB said...

I've only just joined the world of blogging and I keep hearing about blogging conferences... They sound fun! Maybe one day :)

Have fun fellow AMB-ers!!

sarsm said...

I have never been to a blogging conference and am not likely to because I live in Germany but write in English.

It sounds like lots of fun though and I'm sure you will all have a great time!!

Facing fears is really important. Without it, life cannot be properly enjoyed. I must admit to be quite a fearful person. And I force myself to face fears quite regularly.

You're giving good advice. Have fun!!

Christie said...

Hey Jodie,
I hope you have a wonderful time at the conference and meeting all your favourites is as awesome as you imagine it will be! I'm standing by for updates.
And this is great advice, I fully believe that in facing your fears, you find freedom.
xx

Penny said...

I so wish I could attend! Alas, not from NZ :) Have fun and good luck!

Suz said...

Great post. Hope I get to meet you! :)

Catch the Kids said...

Looking forward to the conference. Hope I get to meet you.

therhythmmethod said...

I really like your style Jodie. Have fun this weekend.

Thea said...

I am dying for your tweets and update!!
And you know, I think your message about fear just might be breaking through to me...or not! ;)

Have a fab time, Jodie. I so wish I was there to hear you speak. xxx

Jacki said...

Jodie, have you taken up residence inside my brain?! I've been having quite a few fears this week about attending tomorrow.... But I've decided that I'm going! Can't wait to see you there!

Crinau said...

Nah, you didn't fall over.

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Hi Jodie!
I found you first.. At ABC.. What a lovely way for my pre-conference jitters to dissipate.
Being new to blogging but old .. You know older that EVERYONE there I was fearful of not fitting in. But, I did! In fact before I got to hug you, I saw a lady sitting alone at breakfast. By quick guess, I was correct about this lady being one of your Commenters above, River. So we enjoyed a meal & a 'getting to know each other'
So great meeting & chatting.. & how lucky it was in our hometown .. Xx