A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, May 02, 2011

So Who Is The REAL Kerri Sackville?

It's Book Week here on Mummy Mayhem this week!

If you're a fond reader of blogs, and you catch a number of them on my blog roll, you'll notice there have been a few (excellent) interviews floating around the blogosphere that have been conducted with the very funny Ms Kerri Sackville - author of her new (and first) book, When My Husband Does the Dishes.

Now, even though I've found all of these interviews interesting and entertaining...I still felt I had some very important questions left unanswered. I asked myself, who is the real Kerri Sackville?

Firstly....just as a bit of background here for you...I still remember the first time I became aware of Kerri's talent as a writer. I read this blog post of hers that had me in stitches (I've read it numerous times since). I just loved it. It left me wanting to read more, and from then on I started following Kerri on Twitter and I started reading her (equally entertaining) blog, Life and Other Crises.

How's this for a story? Kerri had written for various publications for years. That was after her acting career ended, which included a role on a tv show as well as becoming runner-up for the lead role in the film, BMX Bandits which, as we all know, Nicole Kidman won. (Her two blog posts - part 1 and part 2 - on how Nicole Kidman stole her life are awesome!)

Following a difficult period a few years ago, Kerri found herself with writer's block for 18 months. Eventually her friends suggested she join Twitter, and with the encouragement of her Twitter followers, her blog was born.

About nine months later, this mother of three, wife of one and lover of Simon Baker decided to start writing a book about motherhood and marriage. An Agent heard about her book via Twitter, contacted her, got her a book deal and the rest, as they say, is history.

I've just started reading it - so far...
a LOL moment - or three - on every page!

How amazing is THAT? The book was officially launched last Thursday. Here's Kerri and I just before she signed my copy. (Can you tell I've just consumed about 13 champagnes?)

Pic thanks to Nikki at Styling You, as seen in this post.


Now, on to finding out what makes Kerri tick. I thought long and hard about what hard-hitting questions I should ask so as to find the answers I needed, and I'm happy to say...I think I found them.

JA: You must choose one of the following holidays. Which one do you choose, and why?


a) 5 nights in LA staying at Paris Hilton's home - required to be her BFF during her stay;
b) 5 nights in an ashram in India with Elizabeth Gilbert - author of Eat, Pray, Love - as your roomie; or
c) 5 nights camping with your husband ('The Architect') and your three kids in bushland outside Sydney, with no running water, no power and only composting toilets.


KS: Okay, so even if the word 'camping' wasn't enough to fill me with horror, the phrase 'composting toilet' has me dry retching at the keyboard. Seriously, I don't think I'm going to be able to eat for the rest of the day. As for the ashram - well, aside from the author of Eat, Pray, Chew My Own Arm Off, I'm assuming the ashram doesn't have Internet access so that's not even a contender. It will just have to be Paris. Which is fine. I can be her BFF during my stay. We'll stay up late and straighten each other's hair, and she will give me a tiny little puppy dog to carry around. I'll call him 50 Cent.


JA: If you could turn the clock back to your school days and apologise to one person (friend, foe, teacher, bus driver) who would you apologise to, and what would you apologise for?


KS: I would apologise to MYSELF for making me wear that ridiculous ensemble to my school formal (baby pink strapless frothy taffeta) and the after party (white shirt topped with bright pink woolen vest topped with - get this - grey denim pinafore). Even for the 80s, there was no excuse. Utter, utter disgrace. 


JA: You're at a party and actor Simon Baker walks in. You're just about to be introduced to him when The Architect announces the chilli nachos he ate earlier, coupled with the five beers he's just downed, is starting to kick in and he needs to get home to the privacy of his own bathroom and needs you to drive him. Stat. What do you do?


KS: Well, that would never happen because my husband doesn't drink beer. He's more likely to drink some pink cocktail with an umbrella in it. (I know. Don't get me started...) But if he did need to leave in a hurry and Simon had just walked in, I would urgently call him a cab. And then ask him to wait for the cab outside. I wouldn't want him to cramp my style.


JA: Your publicist announces you have to attend a book signing dressed in classic 80s-style clothes - just because, okay? What do you wear?


KS: Oh YES!! I would turn up in one of these numbers...




I spent my childhood yearning to be on of the Young Talent Team and finally, FINALLY my dream can come true! (Well, sort of...)


JA: Just for one day, you're not a wife or a mother. What would you do?


KS: So the hubby and kids don't exist??? WOW. Okay, so I'd sleep in very late. Then I'd go and have sex with Simon Baker. I don't know exactly how that could come to pass, but then I don't know how I'd ditch the hubby and kids either, so let's just go with it. Then I'd go back home and have an afternoon nap, then a massage, then go out with my girlfriends and stay up partying til the wee hours because I don't have kids.


JA: The Queen of England offers you a title. You get to choose what it is and it can be whatever you like. What would your title be and why?


KS: Ooh! I get a title? How about "Kerri Of The Playboy Mansion"? Why? Because you said I could!


JA: Complete this sentence: When my husband does the dishes...


KS: ...he wants sex. Then again, he wants sex even when he doesn't do the dishes. And 'wants' is very different to 'gets'. Poor guy...

Aah...finally. Now I feel like I really know who Kerri Sackville is. ;)

If you're married, have sex, have friends, have a mother, have kids (or know anybody who does), are interested in knowing about people who do...then you are going to LOVE this book. It's Kerri's life exposed..and the great thing is, you'll find it SO relatable.

It's out NOW.

(Check out how you could WIN a $500 voucher from Hire A Hubby, read a sample chapter from Kerri's book and see a video of Kerri demonstrating the subjects in her book HERE. Fabulous.)

Thanks, Kerri. Love ya work. xxx

12 comments:

Madmother said...

Great interview!

Have entered competition, but have one complaint... Why isn't a signed copy of Kerri's book included in the prize? Or did I miss that bit?

Off to stalk any more book signings in random (heehee) stores for me to done get me one of them there books... Yeehaw!

bigwords is... said...

I don't know what is funnier the questions or the answers!! Hilarious, love it! to see Kerri with straight hair holding her puppy 50 Cent is a very funny image!! x

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Oh, and imagine her standing next to Paris doing their best Blue Steele....awesome. ;)

Megan Blandford said...

Love it! Great questions, J!

Jacki said...

You've really captured the true essence of Kerri! I've added her book to my Mother's Day wishlist, so my fingers are crossed!

Ms Styling You said...

Love, love, love this interview, Jodie. My only wish would be for it to be on a vlog!

Kerri Sackville said...

Actually, Jodie wanted to do this as a vlog with the two of us sitting in a bathtub together.... as you do.....

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Kerri - we would have totally rocked that bubble bath. That is, in a non, er, sexual kinda way...

Aussie-waffler said...

Excellent interview Jodie. I feel we are one step closer to our grand adventure in Tuscany now that you have proved what a hard hitting reporter you are. Oh, and you know Kerri wants to come too don't you ? Hope she doesn't try to steal the show, we might just have to get her to sit quietly in the background with a tub of Nutella, a bottle of wine and a poster of Simon Baker.

Kerri Sackville said...

Aussiewaffler: Yup. Like I'd ever sit quietly......

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

BS said...

Fascinating interview Jodie; K.S. seems larger than life. Well done, but it is too short; we want more. (Guess I will have to get the book.)

I find it so nice that one author can be so complimentary and supportive of another; no petty jealousy. It says a lot.

(By the way, what is wrong with cocktails and little umbrellas?)