A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, May 06, 2011

This Week I'm Grateful For...My Mum

Mum (1946)
With Mother's Day fast approaching, my thoughts turn to my Mum.

Here are some fond memories I have of my time spent with Mum over the years....

* Waking next to my parents' bed at a very young age and seeing my Mum sleeping beside me. Just knowing she was there was comforting.

* Mum threading wire through my plaits, then bending them upwards - much to my delight - in preparation for a dress up day at school. My hair was the envy of all the girls in my class that day.

* Walking with Mum down to the local shops (my Mum never did get her driver's license - we walked everywhere), both of us wearing our long, white boots. I felt very grown up, and loved looking just like my Mum that day.

* Mum proudly asking me to dance in front of Grandma (her mum) and smiling as I moved around our lounge room, spinning and twirling.

* Standing beside my parent's bed, watching my Mum put clothes away and asking her what I was getting for Christmas. As I spoke, I slid my foot under the bed and felt the one thing I'd hoped for: a blackboard. (Somehow I knew that's what it was.)

* Watching Mum's determination to buy me a new bed as she circled all the beds on offer in a store, even though Dad seemed to think the one I had was fine. (It wasn't. I guess because Dad never made the beds, he had no idea!)

* Seeing Mum work in the canteen at school. I loved it when she was rostered on and I could visit her at morning recess and lunch, knowing that when I was in class, she was close by.

* Mum letting me lick the wooden spoon whenever she baked something yummy - like a chocolate cake (my favourite).

* Mum spending hours bent over a crossword puzzle - something I've never had the patience for - and encouraging me to help her find a piece.

* Mum making my friends laugh and feel comfortable. It's a credit to my Mum (and Dad) that a lot of my friends found our house a very comforting and relaxed place to spend time at.

* Lying awake on very hot, summer nights in Perth - with no air-conditioning - and hearing Mum get up, go outside and splash in to the pool to cool off. Completely naked.

* Eating watermelon together after a barbecue dinner, sitting in the cool of the patio, enjoying the evening sea breeze.

* Sitting in the kitchen on a bar stool, the morning sun shining through the windows, with Mum carefully placing rollers in my hair that she had heated on the stove. Just because I wanted curls that day.

* Discovering Mum standing at the stove top, fry pan in front of her, a pot of simmering water behind it with a plate resting on top, a pot lid on top of the plate. Then realising what was underneath: my favourite dessert. Crepes. (Always served with lemon and sugar.)

* Coming home from school knowing that Mum would be home preparing a snack for my arrival and ready to hear all about my day. Then later, when I was a grumpy teenager, just sitting and allowing me to rest before asking me any questions.

* Enjoying numerous (often late night) conversations about life and love - either at the kitchen table after a night out, or on the couch - with Mum spending far more time just listening than offering any advice.

* Receiving a beautifully written letter in London from Mum, filled with words of encouragement and inspiration - which I received just days after a phone call I made to her from the south of England - crying over a guy.

* Soon after getting my driver's license, I drove my Mum for the first time to my sister's house, and promptly took the wrong exit off the Freeway. My Mum remained calm, and assured me I could find my way back. I did.

* Watching, amazed by my Mum's calmness and support when I announced Hubby and I were moving to Sydney from our hometown of Perth, knowing full well how difficult it would be for her to see me go.

* Seeing her eyes brim with tears of pride when I walked out of my bedroom, dressed in my wedding dress.

* Seeing her eyes brim with tears of pride when I first presented each of her three grandsons for the first time.

* Enjoying reunions with Mum (and Dad), sipping tea and grazing on all my favourite foods that Mum had lovingly and painstakingly prepared for my arrival.

* Watching her attempt to remain calm, and fight back the tears each time I leave Perth after another visit.

There are so many wonderful memories I have of my Mum, and I feel so grateful to have such a loving, supportive and caring mum. I'm looking forward to making more memories with her.

Happy Mother's Day, Mum. I love and miss you.

And Happy Mother's Day to all mothers. Much love to you this weekend if you are mourning the absence of your own mother and/or the loss of a child.

xxx

Thanks to Maxabella for hosting her weekly grateful post. 



19 comments:

Melodramatic Me said...

I just adored that post. My eyes are misty. Your mum and my mum would get on very well. xoxo

deux chiens et un garcon said...

Realy really lovely post. Loving all the little memories you have.

Thea said...

Oh Jodie! This is just beautiful. So many beautiful memories!! I just love this post.

Miss Mandy said...

How nice to take the time to jot some of these memories down.

a great keepsake.

edenland said...

Jodie, this post made me cry. Wow. I can only imagine what it must have been like to have a mother like that -a mum who really *cared*. I didn't have that, but I really try hard to be like that for my boys. I don't always succeed, but I'll keep trying.

Beautiful post. Thank you. XOX

Ms Styling You said...

I love this post - it's a reminder to be all of those things to my children. Beautiful x

Anonymous said...

Your mum sounds like a treasure, what lovely memories you have.
http://thatblogyoudo@blogspot.com
on the hop from maxabella

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

That was so touching and what a beautiful tribute to Mum. I hope you will send it to her...you are a loving daughter..she is a lucky mum.
Have a wonderful Sunday, Jodie, with the 4 men in your life doing all they can to spoil you.. XXXX

Jane said...

Mums are the best! This is such a beautiful post with lots of great memories. You've inspired me to reflect on my own memories of time with my mum xxx

Georgie said...

A wonderful post and something we should all reflect on more often! gxo

Rebekah said...

Such a lovely post and wonderful memories.
Thanks for sharing xx

Trik82 said...

Absolutely beautiful xo

River said...

Lovely memories Jodie. A mother to treasure.

Cate said...

what a truely gorgeous post! She sounds like such an amazing and special lady. Such wonderful memories - and now you have them in a post for you to re-read whenever you need them :-)
have a great weekend
xxxCate

Muddled Up Mumma said...

What a wonderful list Jodie. Reading this has brought back lots of memories for my of my chidlhood with my mum and family. Happy Mother's Day for tomorrow.

Kellie said...

This is just gorgeous. Such a beautiful idea. I love that she used to jump in the pool naked to cool off. I had a little giggle. So many of these memories were also my memories, so I'm shedding a little ``happy tear''!
Happy Mother's Day! :)

lemonrhodes.blogspot.com/ said...

A beautiful post, thank you for sharing with us! your mum sounds like an amazing woman!
x

Shelley said...

Such a lovely post of such special memories. I often wonder as Miss A grows up what her memories of childhood will be. They really do stay so strong with you through the years. Happy Mother's Day for tomorrow. xx

BS said...

What a beautiful tribute; I hope your mum reads it.

Hope you all had a happy Mother's Day.