A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

We Play: Let's Get Crafty with Paint

It's time to play with paint.

Funnily enough, I just finished writing up this post, then I suddenly thought that maybe I could link up with Christie from Childhood 101's weekly We Play and whaddya know...she's also talking about painting this week!

I'm not sure what your weather is doing in your neck of the woods at the moment, but here in Sydney the rain and wind continues and it's c-c-c-cold.

When the weather is like this, we get very crafty around here in the Ansted House, and painting is one of our favourite activities.

During some of our painting activities, I use old plastic dishes or various painting accessories to put the paint in, but another great way which helps to reduce the mess and quicken the clean up afterwards, is to use egg cartons (pictured). Keep your old egg cartons, then simply place your paint in them. They're easily thrown out afterwards. It also means you'll probably use just a little paint at a time. Bonus.

Now for some activities with your paint...

Recently, I purchased a packet of various sponges from my local Bunnings - ones usually used for specialty paint finishes. The 4yr old had a great time recently creating sponge paintings. It made such a nice change from using brushes (and hands!), he created about six separate pieces!


I was very fortunate to be sent a Pull Back Racers Wood Worx set by the imaginative Colorific for the kids to have a go with.

These are the Street Racers.
You can also get a Racing Cars set - the cars look just like Formula One cars!

We spent a good hour on Sunday gluing together, then painting and decorating a couple of the cars.

Gluing the top of the car on!


The 7yo adds the paint...some cool stripes for this car. 

The completed car. The 7yo could have added even more paint and there
were a TON of stickers he could have used, but he's a minimalist. ;)

Then the cars were ready for racing! They are pull-back cars and, oh my...they move SO fast! Each set comes with everything you need: car, glue, paint, paint brushes, stickers and instructions. RRP $24.99

Now, last year, during the school holidays, the 7yr old and 9yr old got stuck in to some canvas painting. I purchased a couple of canvases from one of those novelty type stores that stock really cheap crap stuff.

The 7yr old decided to freestyle it. He painted a forest and lake.

The artwork in progress


The 7yr old's completed piece

The 9yr old - being a bit of a Pokemon fan - decided to paint a picture of his favourite character...Pikachu. Firstly, he chose a picture off the Internet, and we printed it out.



Then the 9yr old drew the picture on the canvas with pencil, then retraced it with permanent marker.



Then it was time to paint.



The finished piece...



Both paintings now hang in the boys' bedroom.

We also occasionally paint rocks - which we have an abundance of in our back garden! They make great paper weights, or can just be displayed somewhere.



The finished product.

So there you go...lots of fun to be had with painting.

You can join in with Christie's We Play too!


What paint activities do you do with your kids? What other indoor activities do you do to fill rainy days with?



10 comments:

Ali @ Mummahh said...

WOW what FUN!! my little man would love those model cars to paint! hes always looking for something new to paint.
and picatchu (spelling) looks FAB!
x

Thea said...

Great work boys!!
You have lucky kids, my poor mother hates messy paint. I know I know....I should just do it!
I love the canvas idea...and the rocks. Might have to go get some paint after all. :)

Thea said...

Dammit...I meant 'my poor kids' mother'...and that would be me...not MY mother! lol

katepickle said...

Wow you guys have been busy with the paints... love the sponge painting and the giant canvas... way cool!

Suz @ Segovia and The I Love You Song said...

fabulous just fabulous xx

Mum on the Run said...

We JUST came home from running a sponge painting activity at playgroup this morn.
I just love paint & watching them go for it.
Hoping a good soak and my favourite jeans will be devoid of any though!
Happy painting!
:-)

River said...

I remember painting rocks when I was little, then gluing on eyes and wool hair. I also remember my mum getting big sheets of white paper from the butcher and we'd wear our oldest clothes and big containers of paint and we'd set up on the closed in back porch and use just our hands to go mad with the paint.
I like the look of those woodworx kits, I'm going to see if I can find some. Do they come in house kits?

Jenn Brigole said...

Aww.. This is a sad reminder that I haven't tried doing painting with my niece yet. :( I know she loves doodling flowers and mountains, but I am not sure why I haven't thought of doing this. Tsk! Your kids are wonderful, by the way. I love the stone idea, too. :)

Jodie Ansted said...

Thanks all!

River - Have seen other Wood Worx designs like jewellery boxes, photo frames etc. Not sure if they do houses though. Website should help.

Jenn - it's never too late! Something for you to do together in the future!

Busy Brissy Mum said...

Fantastic artwork with the sponges. Might have to keep this idea for a cold day here in Brissy.