A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, May 05, 2011

What's in Your Book Pile?

My name is Jodie and I have a confession: I can't stop buying books. 

I love books. LOVE them. The problem I have is lack of time to read. In fact, during those years of pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding my three children, I kind of forgot to read there for a while. (Although, Hubby bought me The Girl With The Pearl Earring just after the 7yo was born, and I took great pleasure in reading it during his night feeds in those first couple of weeks after his birth.) After the 4yo came along, I found myself hitting the ground running every morning, and didn't stop until I collapsed in to bed - too tired to even think about picking up a book.

However, a few years ago, when the 4yo was a year old, and life became a little more manageable, I made a pact with myself: that I would read at least 15 minutes per day. Just before bed or whenever I could fit it in, but it had to be every. day. I did pretty well. I read a number of books I had been dying to read for a while, including Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre which is one of my fave books of all time now. (Although, I also loved The Great Gatsby - yet another book Hubby bought me.)

Lately, I haven't committed to reading as much. I'm still reading books, but there are some days I don't even pick one up at all. (Terrible!) Life has been busy. However, this hasn't stopped me from constantly buying new books. I'm so drawn to new books - it's very naughty - and all I need is a closing down sale at Borders to give me an excuse to buy more. *sigh* Hence, I have found myself with a rather impressive stack of books I'm yet to read or am currently reading. Are you ready? (To be honest, some are missing from here I think - eg Still Alice which I'm reading right now.) Here it is...


As you can see, I have a rather diverse interest in books. It's not unusual for me to juggle two or three books at a time either. Right now, I'm reading two books, alternating between the two depending on my mood (one is a heavier subject matter, the other is light). Some books, I start then lose interest in, as I'm not in the right frame of mind for them at the time, or something else comes along and takes my fancy, so I set it aside. There's at least four books in that pile I've commenced reading and they remain only partly read. I'll get back to them eventually!

I tend to favour biographies and memoirs, but occasionally I'll read some fiction. I'm keen to read some Lisa Heidke books (I chat with her on Twitter - she is so lovely!) - especially What Kate Did Next as I've heard a lot about that from other friends who loved it. Also, I've heard some great things about Kate Morton's book The Distant Hours, and as soon as Kylie Ladd's new book comes out in July, I'll be grabbing myself a copy. (Her book, After the Fall, was my fave read of last year.)

So I've made myself another pact: No buying any new books until I at least reduce this pile a little. I'm also going to make sure I don't miss out on my daily reading anymore. Life's too short not to read.

What's in your book pile at the moment? What kind of books do you like to read, and what books do you want to read in the near future? 


Don't forget to enter my Book Giveaway - I have three copies of Lisa Genova's new book, Left Neglected, to pass on to three lucky Mummy Mayhem readers! You can enter HERE

16 comments:

Shimi said...

Mine was a big as your pile whilst I was pregnant with number 3, but I managed to get it down to one book. Now it is slowly building up again. Have the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy to read next.
Jen
www.shimi.com.au

Marg said...

Books! My favourite subject!

My TBR pile is huge, and comprises of a lot of library books, and then the books that I have acquired! Really, I will never get to read them all, but that doesn't stop me from buying more.

Kellie said...

There may have been some sort of gasm over here when I saw that pile. LOVE books. Love them. I have a few on the shelf I havent yet read but Im trying.

ps Last Night At Chateau Marmont is poo. I wasted a week on that.

River said...

My book pile is actually quite small, containing 5 unread books and 5 that I've read so often I had to buy replacements because theyfell apart.
I don't read "heavy" stuff and rarely pick up any autibiographies. I'm a fiction girl all the way. I like the crime/forensic styles; murder mysteries; with favourite authors being Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwall. I like comedy books too, such as the Stephanie Plum-Bounty Hunter series written by Janet Evanovich.

Mrs BC said...

I also read several books at once, unless a book is so amazing I have to devour it almost in one sitting. I hate borrowing books from the library, especially fiction. They have 'someone elses touch' on them, & they have to be returned! Ugh!
I hope you don't stick to your promise - Borders & Angus & Robinson's closing down sales are a great (but sad) opportunity...
x

Aspiring Millionaire said...

I have quite a stack of books in my to read pile. Mine are mainly finance books. I used to read fiction, but haven't read a fiction I like in a long time.

I just finished planning with kids, now to apply it!

MissPosy said...

I should really NOT be buying any more books - I have an enormous stack of books that I just keep adding to... It's ridiculous, but I can't help myself!

I'm currently reading Rebecca Woolf's book Rockabye, next up I want to get through Kerrie Sackville's book - and after that I should tackle the rest of the pile...

Doodah said...

I used to love reading, the last book I read was a Tim Winton book, although I only got half way through (I'd already read it - just needed something to read while on a plane). That was nearly 2 years ago, oh the shame!

Bloody kids, who's got the time anymore?

stink-bomb said...

Oh that pile is nothing! I currently have 60 books spines uncracked, pages unturned!!

I'm not allowed to buy any new ones til I've read them all :-( sooooo not fair!!

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Hi Jodie,
I am a book buying addict.
I used to read books.
Now I buy them.
I pile them up.
It's a splendidly varied pile & includes
Kylie & Kerri & Mia.

I blame twitter for my unread books.
I am also buying more books ( yes, crazy) from Borders as each store closes (sob) b/c I can't resist 50-75% off.

Love your attempts to keep reading!!!! D x

ForeverRhonda said...

My husband has forbidden the buying of anymore new books. I've carefully found a loophole though. I am buying used books on ebay!

domestic.blizz said...

I am an avid reader. I always have overflowing book piles on my bedside cabinet just waiting my attention to be read not to mention stashed elsewhere around the house. We also frequent the library every week for new books to read. I always tell myself I don't need to borrow any more books as I return some I have just read but with so many books to choose from to read it is just too tempting not to borrow. My list of book recommendations also continues to grow by the day. I look forward to Bookfest happening in June so I can browse the many books and see what books will just have to find their way home with me. I read a wide variety of books but tend to stay away from sci-fi and horror.

Thea said...

My reading style sounds very similar to yours! And we have similar taste too. I have a pile of about 6 or 7 after a visit to my sister-in-law's over Easter. She has a nice little personal library! One I don't have yet but I'm on the lookout for is Kerri Sackville's new book. :)

BS said...

I know what you mean about the attraction of books.
I think it may have something to do with the intimacy of reading a book; the one-on-one with the author's words, in the privacy of one's own mind.
Also, the convenience of being able to go to that special place in the mind, while reading, at any suitable time; or picking up where you left off at any time.
One can be critical and thoughtful, in one's own mind, while reading, with thoughts going off in different directions, as the imagination is stimulated.

Does this make sense?

BS said...

I know what you mean about the attraction of books.
I think it may have something to do with the intimacy of reading a book; the one-on-one with the author's words, in the privacy of one's own mind.
Also, the convenience of being able to go to that special place in the mind, while reading, at any suitable time; or picking up where you left off at any time.
One can be critical and thoughtful, in one's own mind, while reading, with thoughts going off in different directions, as the imagination is stimulated.

Does this make sense?

BS said...

Sorry about the double entry; do not know how to fix it. Wish these things were as easy to operate as a book.