A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, June 06, 2011

My Latest Obsession...

I never thought I'd say this - EVER - but I'm really getting in to plants.

I remember years ago, my husband's brother and his wife showing us around their newly built home. I enjoyed seeing all the rooms and hearing their plans for each one. Then we hit the yet to be established back yard. They talked excitedly about what they would plant and where. On the outside, I smiled and nodded approvingly - commenting every now and then with a, "Lovely!' On the inside, however, my mind was saying, 'Zzzzzz-zzzzzz. Can we go back inside now?'

I've never really been in to gardening. I like to walk through gardens, sit in gardens and I LOVE flowers...but gardening per se? Total snooze fest.

As a kid though, I loved Sunday afternoon trips to our local Waldecks Nursery in Perth. Mum and Dad would walk around, taking their time to peruse all the latest offerings for the garden, and - no doubt swept up in it all - I'd end up hounding them for some plant or another for my bedroom to take home. Eventually, they'd cave, throwing in a, "Do you promise to look after it?" I would be all, "Yesssss. Of course I will!" and after two weeks, my plant would be no more. I just didn't have the interest to care for it.

Various house plants in our home have met the same fate, unfortunately. I constantly forget to water them. I never fertilise. And I certainly don't go all Prince Charles and talk to my plants.

However, something happened whilst Hubby was away for work recently. I took the boys one Sunday afternoon to a favourite garden nursery of ours (mostly because it has a playground with an adjacent coffee shop, and great home wares - not so much for the plants), and suddenly I found myself searching through the various plants to replace the not so thriving ones in our home.

And I really enjoyed it.

I know! How weird is that? I came home with a few indoor plants that day, and arranged them around the home, and then...I went back for more the following week! This time, I bought some pots too, and now I have flowers - flowers, people - on my front porch. And I can't stop thinking about plants all of a sudden. Proof of this came this morning when I was looking through my Women's Weekly (which I mostly buy for the recipes) and I came across the Gardening page. Now, usually, I'd skip right past that. Zero interest.

Not today though.

Today, I read the ENTIRE page - and now I'm planning another trip to the nursery to purchase some African violets thanks to WW. Where I'll put them, I'm not sure. But I want them. I'm also planning a herb garden. Where I'll put that, I'm not sure either. But it's gonna happen, ya'll.

Have you ever suddenly discovered an interest in something you thought you didn't have?





Image: We Heart It

13 comments:

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

I am sure my lack of gardening enthusiasm has to do with being allergic to everything. Seriously, everything. And I've got glasses and asthma so I'm practically one of those stereotypical American nerds!

Miss Pink said...

I want to garden, so keenly, but I have a black thumb, plants actually thrive more if I ignore them (and no, I never water more than once a day, I am a "every other day" waterer).

Mum on the Run said...

Maybe there's hope for me yet.
:-)

Lulu said...

Two things of late- baking and twitter. Neither I had much interest in until recently- I baked occasionly, tweeted occasionly but the obsession never stuck.

Gardening seems a bit of a snooze fest to me too- but I would like a little veggie/herb garden one day

ClaireyH said...

My herb garden love has developed in the last two years and has helped me extend my poor cooking skills. I now see a big bush of basil, and think, mmmmmmm, basil pesto pasta for dinner. Yum!

Naomi said...

I love gardening. Nothing like being outdoors, digging, planning, planting, pruning... love it.
Enjoy your new obsession x

Alyce @ Blossom Heart said...

Sorry, gardening's still pretty much a bore for me (although hurray for Women's Weekly!). But I'm with Lulu - I only just joined Twitter, and now I can't get enough! I love having conversations and connecting with my new bloggy friends :)

Jodi @ The Scribble Den said...

Like you, I am not a gardener, but I love gardens and flowers. My perfect garden is one that is built for me, planted for me and cared for me. But I guess there is hope for me yet!

River said...

I haven't developed any sudden interests, but I too love gardening. My stuff is all in pots, some lives, some dies...
Right now I have several cabbage, cauliflower and several broccoli plants showing promise. Two of the caulis are developing tiny little heads already. Yum.

Thea said...

Ha! Love it!!

I've had phases of being totally in love and then no interest at all in plants...kind of like real relationships and that's why Prince Charles talks to his plants! lol (Don't tell anyone, but I do that too.)

Photography is my latest obsession. I've always loved photos and wished I could take good ones. Just lately I've taken a few not too bad ones and I'm gone...hook, line & sinker! :)

cat said...

Gardening can be very fulfilling.

sarsm said...

Very weird because like you I've really got into plants too this year. Must be something in the air...
They're starting to take over my 101 challenges...

ananchorage said...

My parents never gardened. We bought a house where the previous owner had missed a potato and it came up the next summer. I was hooked. Still hooked.

Recently, I've begun writing, something I didn't do for a long time. The online format works much better for me than just private journals to sit on a shelf.

Gloria