A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

So, What's REALLY on Your Takeaway Pizza?

When it comes to takeaway pizza, are you getting what you paid for?

Many years ago, a guy I knew who worked in a pizza restaurant told me how he and other employees used to sometimes place a tiny piece of meat in the middle of a vegetarian pizza. Just for kicks. Tsk tsk. (Be warned, vegetarians.)

Interestingly, one night I was telling this story to a couple of friends as we sat over a vegetarian pizza (they were both vegetarians themselves) and suddenly one of the girls picked up a piece and there it was: a small piece of meat - right in the middle of the pizza!

Hence, I've always been a bit suspicious of takeaway pizzas. Am I getting what I asked/paid for?

A few weeks ago, Hubby gave me some new information that has put me off the takeaway pizza. Probably for good. If you don't want to be put off, you might want to click away now, but I think you'll find this interesting...

Hubby had a meeting recently with someone who knows the pizza business. This was not a meeting between two foodies (Hubby can cook, but you won't find him on an episode of Masterchef anytime soon), it was just a business meeting.

The guy that Hubby met was telling him about the pizza business, and how at least one major takeaway pizza business here in Australia is not quite serving up what you think you're getting.

Get this: turns out, the cheese on your takeaway pizza (from the particular outlet I'm referring to) is not just cheese. Nuh-uh. Cheese is in there...yes...but less than half of the cheese on your pizza is actual cheese.

The rest, my dear readers is...potato starch.

Potato starch is, of course, the starch that is extracted from potatoes. The starch is used as a filler to make your pizza seem like it's topped with luscious, gooey, copius amounts of stringy, yummy, wholesome cheese. But nope, it isn't.

It's much cheaper, you see, to use a filler rather than 100% good-for-you cheese that pizza stores not only promise you is on your pizza, but should be on your pizza. Hell, you pay for that 'cheese'. Don't you deserve to get real cheese on your pizza?

This information has now ruined the takeaway pizza for me. Just like when I met a girl who was a Manager for a major takeaway chicken outlet, and although she wouldn't allaborate as to why she wouldn't eat it, she said that working there had ruined all chances of her ever eating potato and gravy packs served at such establishments again. Her story put me off too, and I've never touched the stuff since.

Seems the mantra we constantly hear is correct...if you want good, wholesome food - you'll have to make it yourself.

If you want a really easy pizza dough recipe, I posted one on here aaaages ago, and also on my recipe blog. Seriously, once you start making your own dough, you won't want to go back anyway. We make it pretty much every Friday night.

What takeaway food do you avoid? Ever found anything in your takeaway food that shouldn't actually be there? 





Image: We Heart It

15 comments:

Jane said...

Potato starch, what tha?!?! I try to avoid chain store takeaway pizza because the amount of grease and processed ingredients just makes me feel sick.

I used to work at a gourmet pizza store that used only the absolute freshest ingredients (no cheeky pieces of meat on vego pizzas there!). The pizzas are the best I've ever had, and even though they're pricier, it's definitely worth it from time to time.

Making your own meals beats takeaway any day. I much prefer knowing exactly what's going into my mouth! xxx

Thea said...

I am so suspicious of any store bought food! One reason we never get takeaway for dinner...ever.

I love making my own pizzas but we don't like doughy bases so I make them on flat bread or wraps....YUMMO.

Great post.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I'm learning to make our own forever after. We have almost finished our wood fired pizza oven.

Alex said...

I really dislike take away food - my husband brought home a curry last week. It was supposed to be chicken but one piece of meat looked like it had bristles coming off it.

* retch *

Christie said...

Isn't that so frightening? Yuk. I'm so glad I haven't ordered a store bought pizza in years.
The only scary pizza story I have was quite a few years ago when the young pizza dude who handed me my pizza one night was arrested the next week for murder.....nasty.
Yep I think I'll stick to making my own too!

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh yuck, I hate icky food stories, I am so fanatical about where and what I eat, but at least this info isn't too gross. I really dislike all the chain pizza outlets, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, they're all really poor quality pizza. Hubby and I have been buying our pizza's from an old fashioned pizzeria for years, they make THE most delicious pizza's ever. And I'd really like to think they're not doing anything untoward to our orders... given that they sort of know us... well I hope so anyway :o/

River said...

I'd already given up on takeaway pizzas, so I kept reading and now wish I hadn't. Really?? Potato starch? That's so unethical. As for the potato and gravy from that other place, I've never eaten it since the very first bite when I thought they'd mistakenly served me a tub of glue. That stuff is just awful! Nowadays, I make all my food at home. Including burgers, although I do buy the buns for those.
I'm going to pass on this information to everyone I know.

Miss Pink said...

I'm not really a fan of the takeaway pizza. Maybe from a local small joint. A real place. But otherwise I really don't enjoy it. It's always greasy and oily and just blergh.
I agree about the homemade thing though. So many people buy the bases and I can guarantee that making them yourself makes the pizza like 95% better. The whole tastes change and just...YUM

Miss Pink said...

I'm not really a fan of the takeaway pizza. Maybe from a local small joint. A real place. But otherwise I really don't enjoy it. It's always greasy and oily and just blergh.
I agree about the homemade thing though. So many people buy the bases and I can guarantee that making them yourself makes the pizza like 95% better. The whole tastes change and just...YUM

sarsm said...

We are very lucky to have a family owned pizza place at the top of our street because your article is pretty alarming!!
The thing I sometimes notice is odd tasting chicken from a take away place or cheaper restaurant and it always concerns me!

strawberrysmum said...

We don't really have takeaway in our house, mainly because of weight-concious me, not necessarily hubby who'd happily dig into a greasy pizza every night. When we do get takeaway it's usually MacDonalds so I can have one of those light wrap things. Pizza is probably my most hated takeaway of all... all those carbs, it's the worst! Although I DO love (and miss) homemade pizza.
Once, hubby got shocking food poisoning from KFC. We were on our way 'out' at the time and he puked all the way along Chapel street out the passenger side car door :)

Megan Blandford said...

It doesn't surprise me that they'd have tricks like this up their sleeves. Not good.

I've avoided takeaway pizza for a while now, since I went to a cheap chain brand and had this weird conversation:

Me: "Can I please have a large pizza..."
Him: "A what?"
Me: "A large pizza, with..."
Him: "Huh?"
Me: "A pizza"
Him: "A what?"

I walked out. And haven't bought pizza since - I mean, if the person there doesn't even know what a pizza is... ;)

HappyHouseWifey said...

I'm not a fan of chain pizzas - now I just have to convince hubby! Even if we do get one for some reason (extended fam often gets), we have situation where i prefer tomato paste pizzas from one chain, and he (& they) like bbq from other main chain. lol. Last 2 times I made a diff meal for me (once @ my inlaws!) :O

HappyHouseWifey said...

I'm not a fan of chain pizzas - now I just have to convince hubby! Even if we do get one for some reason (extended fam often gets), we have situation where i prefer tomato paste pizzas from one chain, and he (& they) like bbq from other main chain. lol. Last 2 times I made a diff meal for me (once @ my inlaws!) :O

Maxabella said...

I'm so glad I haven't eaten takeaway pizza in years... I don't know why, I think it's just that there is so many other yummier take away choices! That are all full of potato starch as well, no doubt... x