A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Week That Was... Tea & Scones, an Ant Invasion, Ben 10 and a New Friend

I can't believe how quickly the school holidays have flown. 

They are ending at the right time. The kids are starting to get antsy with each other. I'm starting to get antsy with them. It's time for routine again - as much as I've enjoyed the odd sleep-in, no lunch box preparation or school tie, er, tying.

Last Friday, I made my first batch of scones in a while. I used to be really, really good at making scones. (That sounds very egotistical...but it's true! My Mum said so and she's the Baking Queen.) Anyway, for years and years - after being taught in Home Economics class in high school - I could recall the original scone recipe my teacher gave the class. Years. Then one day...poof!....it was gone. Just like that. I couldn't recall the exact amounts of the ingredients. I got myself confused and I eventually had to Google a recipe! *shakes head in dismay* The last time I baked them, they were nothing short of disastrous (but were still eaten. Food is food in this family).

However, when my friend, Fiona, came over with her two boys for a play last Friday, I decided to brave them again. Even though I knew for sure I had never used it in my original recipe, I tried some baking powder this time, and finally I got an okay scone (pictured above).

I'm still not convinced they're as good as the original ones I used to bake, but the fact Fiona and I devoured pretty much a whole plateful between us says something, don't you think?

*     *     *     *     * 

Ants have invaded our home. Again. They drive me insane. We have ants nests around the garden, my pest control guys tells me, so we need to sort those to stop the ants marching on my kitchen bench. I opened up the water tank of the coffee machines this morning, and there were HUNDREDS of the damn things in there! Ugh! So disgusting. I spent ages cleaning it out, but who knows if they'll be back there tomorrow when I go to make coffee? Messing with the crumbs in my kitchen is one thing, but taking up camp in the coffee machine is really pushing the envelope.

*     *     *     *     *

A friend of mine called up on Wednesday wanting to know if I would like some free VIP tickets to the Ben 10 Live show at the Enmore Theatre. Woot! And so yesterday, the boys and I headed in to Newtown (I had NO IDEA where I was going) and took in the show. They were given goody bags, and after the show, we went on stage and had our photo taken with Gwen, Ben and Grandpa Max.

The 4yr old as a Ben 10 Alien
Don't ask me which one. Clueless!

To be honest, I it was the longest hour and a half of my life (let's just say it wasn't quite Mary Poppins), but the kids had a ball. The 9yo wasn't that impressed with the show (he's too cool for school, I guess) but loved the show bag and going up on stage. Thanks, Jo! xxx

*     *     *     *     *

As a bit of change of pace (not to mention more my style), I went out last night to meet fellow blogger, and now new friend, Lisa Lintern, who has a fabulous blog. My, the girl can write.

I've met Lisa twice before. Once at a makeup/wine demo thingy, and then again at Kerri Sackville's book launch. Without her, I wouldn't have found the book shop in which Kerri's launch was held and afterwards, we drank lots and lots and lots of champagne together (along with the also gorgeous, Aussiewaffler).

Part of the tapas menu. We had dusted calamari with lime aioli,
char-grilled chorizo and twice cooked chicken wings.
Followed by chocolate mousse cake and a catalan tart thingy.

Last night, we drank champagne again (although, we were both a lot more sensible this time around), indulged in some delicious tapas, and even shared some yummo desserts. And we chatted. And chatted. And chatted. You know how you sometimes meet someone and instantly feel comfy with them and feel as though you've known them forever? Well, that's Lisa. She's funny, witty and incredibly intelligent. (She told me to tell you that...but it also happens to be true.) ;) I have me a new friend, people, and it proves, yet again, that people you meet online can become real friends. Oh, yes siree.

*      *      *      *      *

The blog has been a bit light on over the last few weeks due to illness and school holidays, but I hope to be up and running again with more posts next week. I have another vlog planned to do for you soon. I've told Lisa and my friend, Jen, my idea - but they are TOTALLY sworn to secrecy. All will be revealed soon...

Until then, check out my Recent Posts on the RHS of my homepage to see what I've been writing this week.

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

3 comments:

Being Me said...

Bouncing in my seat, another vlog soon. Yay!!!

I love scones.

And I am envious, you got to swill champagne (does one swill it????? probably not) with Aussiewaffler! I've only ever done it virtually on Twitter. I'm mentioning you in a post today, hope you don't mind the link?

River said...

I have ant nests in my yard too, the ants are those big brown ones with reddish heads, almost an inch long, I see them mostly in the spring; but I don't get ants inside. There were a few the first year I was here, little black ants, and I sprayed all window and door frames with Baygon, but haven't had to do it again. I've been here eight and a half years now.

Ms Styling You said...

No.1 Bring on the vlog.
No.2 Next time you and Lisa get together over champagne and tapas I want in!
No.3 That is all.