A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - The Facebook Status

It's Wednesday, so it's time for Write on Wednesdays ("WoW") with InkPaperPen!

I'm really enjoying the process of trying my hand at fiction again. Thanks for all the lovely comments the last couple of weeks, ya'll! xxx

This week, a suggestion was made by a couple of WoW participants to use a Facebook status update as this week's writing prompt. We had to login to Facebook and use the first status update we came across. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be mine or someone else's. I chose the first one I saw - from Kerri Sackville - and then emailed her to ask if I could use it!

There were also some discussions this week about the five minute time limit. Did we think it enough? I'm quite happy with five minutes, however, I'll admit I could easily sit down and write at least 10 minutes...if not more! I need a time limit, otherwise my posts would go on and on... ;)

One of the commenters suggested that she may write five minutes and then write some additional stuff, and I decided to do this myself this week. I have a story in my head, and when my five minutes was over this week - I didn't get to finish what I wanted to write! So, I gave myself another five minutes. I hope no one minds that. (Admittedly, I added on another couple of paragraphs to finish my piece off this week too. Cheeky, I know.)

As you know, I'm continuing my story from the first WoW I joined in with. (I'll be posting each week's entries on a page you can find under the tab that says Write on Wednesdays. You know, in case you want to catch up with the story so far.) I don't usually swear here on my blog, but Cassie's character demanded it. Both Kate and Cassie are taking on a life of their own in my head!

Ok, here's the writing prompt (thanks to Kerri Sackville's FB update I found on Monday night - thanks, Kerri!) and what I wrote in the first five minutes:

“Starting to pack for New York. I find this extremely stressful, as I am an exceedingly stressful person. And do not tell me that I don't need to pack much, as I will shop when I get there. I still need to work out what to wear on the plane!”

Kate couldn’t help but smile at the group email from her friend, Rebecca. New York. Now there's a place she'd like to visit. 

Another email popped up in her inbox. The subject read: Rebecca’s Email. It was from Cassie. She opened it. It simply read, Boo-fucking-hoo.

Kate let a small laugh escape from her lips, then immediately looked up to see if any of the other passengers on the bus had noticed. They hadn’t. It was seven-thirty in the morning. Like her, many had their heads bent over their iPhones, checking their emails, Tweeting or updating their Facebook page. Some were looking out the window, no doubt mentally planning the day ahead. Perhaps some were even nursing a hangover like she was. Thank God it’s Friday, she thought.


Kate punched in the response to Cassie: Jealous, huh?





The night before, she and Cassie had met up with their friend, Leslee, at some trendy bar in the eastern suburbs; they had consumed copious amounts of champagne and dined on over-priced gourmet pizza. They had spent the night gossiping about mutual friends, laughing, lamenting over their demanding jobs and bitching about their exes.

*     *     *     *     *

See? Story only beginning there...! Here's the additional writing...I hope you don't mind reading a little more.

As always, the subject of Nick had eventually come up. At one point, Leslee - a no nonsense, straight to the point kind of girl - had put down her glass of champagne, turned to Kate and with as much focus she could muster had said, “You know what, Kate? I don’t think you were ever in love with Nick. I think you were in love with the idea of him.” Cassie had whooped with delight at their friend’s comment and she and Leslee had shared a high-five, followed by a celebratory sip of champagne.

Kate now looked out the window of the bus just as the harbour came in to view. The summer sun was shimmering on the water and she smiled watching the ferries chugging slowly in to Circular Quay. She had lived on the lower north shore of Sydney all her life, but had never bored of the scene now before her.

What if Leslee was right? Had she just been in love with the idea of a relationship with Nick? After all, he was never really hers to begin with. Just like Cassie had reminded her yesterday: he wasn’t her future.

In the distance, she saw a boat rolling over the backwash of a ferry and she thought back to the day she and Nick had sailed on the harbour together. Just the two of them. As they lay out on the deck on their backs, their faces to the sun allowing the heat of the late afternoon to envelop them like a warm blanket, she had never felt happier.

She had felt Nick roll towards her and move up on to his side, watching her. Then his hand had traced the length of her arm, from her hand up to her shoulder and then across her chest, before resting on her neck. He had then gently turned her head towards him, leaned down and kissed her. “I wish…” he had started in between kisses, but never finished his thought.

Kate shook her head as if to release the memory. She looked down at the goose bumps now covering her arms. The thought of Nick touching her…

Cassie was right. She had to forget Nick. 

*     *     *     *     *

To read other contributions to this week's Write on Wednesdays - or to join in yourself - pop on over to InkPaperPen.





~image~

12 comments:

Kerri Sackville said...

Ha! I love it!!!! Especially the 'Boo fucking hoo'!!!!!!!!
Nick... hm.... I like the sound of him... xxx

InkPaperPen said...

Love the prompt, love that you got permission to use it and love your ongoing story. I enjoyed the extra writing. Giving people the option to keep going is a great idea, especially if like you, they have a story that needs to get out.

Are you planning this writing or is it all just exploding from your head? I like the cheeky style and I can relate to lots of little bits in there. A talent for chick lit, perhaps?

It is great that you tweaking the WoW exercises to suit you and your writing. This is just what I hoped would happen when we started the writing challenges

x

Aussie-waffler said...

Love it Jodie. In keeping with my Theme for 2011 : Being Waaaay Behind in Blog Reads, I still have some catching up to do, but I really enjoyed what you wrote today :) x

Suzi said...

That was great Jodie!
Glad you continued it on too,your description of the harbour really took me 'there' and added depth to the story.
Well done :)

V. Furnas said...

Jodie, that was great. I didn't even think of using it for my WIP. Genius. Found you through WOW. Can't wait to read more.

Miss Pink said...

I don't think anyone would ever mind getting a bit more from you ;)
I am feeling quite caught up in your story.

Naomi said...

Keep this up and I won't have to but books to read anymore!
Love it Jodie, looking forward to next wek xxx

Melodramatic Me said...

Oh I LOVE it. Must confess, I've been in love with the 'idea' of many a man...*sigh*

Anne said...

I was keen to read on Jodie. It's like one of those long running serials in the Woman's Day (not that I've ever read that) but will be keen to follow your story. I want to find out about Nick too. I'm intrigued. Great work!

Anne @ Domesblissity

Jayne said...

Heh, everyone should have a straight up friend like Leslee. I loved that you showed, rather than told, that the girls were drunk with Leslee struggling to focus.

I'm enjoying the little personable details you're putting in to your characters.

E. said...

Ooh, I really like these girls. Keep going, please, for us?

Janelle said...

I love love LOVE your idea of keeping a continuing story going through each weekly prompt. I think it could be a challenge, depending on what the prompt is, but I hope you stick with it, I'm enjoying it!
And I like the image of the people on the bus, each with their seperate lives....I have often wondered what other people's stories are when I've been bored on the bus!