A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - Musically Inspired

So here I go - giving my fiction writing another whirl for InkPaperPen's Write on Wednesdays.

I am really enjoying this. I couldn't wait for this week!

I decided pretty much straight after writing last week's piece that I would try to continue the story I started. I just want to see where I can go with it. Where it's actually going, or whether it's possible at all to continue, I'm not sure yet. But hey - isn't that the fun part?

So, if you haven't already, check out last week's post.

(Sorry, that sounds a bit bossy. Only if you want to, of course. ;) )

This week's writing prompt was suggested by Janelle at Me and Mia, and I've gotta say I like it!

The idea is to choose either the first line from your favourite song OR turn on the radio and use the first line of the song you hear. Then write it at the top of the page, set your timer for five minutes and write away.

I'm not sure what my ultimate favourite song is, but I chose a song I play frequently on my iPod: Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson. If I could sing like anyone, it'd be Kelly. And believe me, in my kitchen with only the dog around, I believe for a moment I can. ;)

So here goes...

Remember all the things we wanted...
“Well, do you?” Cassie asked her. “We imagined fabulous careers and someone who would love us no matter what. A guy who could find the humour in a bit of spilt popcorn, for goodness sake!" She shook her head and sighed. "Forget last night. Move on already. You’re thirty-two. Time is a-ticking, my friend!”

Kate winced, then laughed. Cassie always found a way to cheer her up. A disastrous date was not the end of the world.

“Nick would have found it funny,” Kate said wistfully. Cassie frowned.

“Kate, don’t go there. Nick would have found it funny because he was the ‘fun’ kind of guy, remember? He didn’t take anything seriously. Especially not your feelings.”

“That’s not true,” Kate protested. It wasn’t. She felt Nick had loved her. It was just…complicated.

“Ok, I know. I’m sorry. It’s just that...” Cassie didn't finish. She didn't have to. Kate knew what she was going to say. 

Cassie took her hand. “I want what’s best for you. You know that. You need to put Nick behind you, once and for all. He’s not your future.” Kate lowered her head, nodding in agreement. “And neither is The Popcorn Guy – as he shall forever be known,” Cassie added, slapping Kate's leg playfully. “Now let’s go to that party, darlin’. It's getting way too serious around here!”

Kate laughed. Cassie was right. It was time to move on. 

*     *     *     *     *

Is it cheating that I added the last line in after the timer went off? *slaps own hand*

I'm not sure my sudden choice of names was a good thing. Too many 'C' or 'K' sounds going on? Ah, well. I just panicked...I didn't want to waste precious time coming up with an alternative name for Cassie. I wanted Kate for some reason and couldn't part with her name. ;) Five minutes flies!

If you feel like joining in with a little bit of weekly fiction writing - and want to read some others - make sure you visit...






Write On Wednesdays




14 comments:

InkPaperPen said...

You are on fire, Jodi! LOVE that you continued with last week's exercise (yes, this is exactly what it's all supposed to be about!). I'd love to read more and more of it. We will all get to check in each week to see whether Kate really moves on from Popcorn Guy (love this name). I had a crush on Macdonalds Guy when I was 16!

You have a fun writing style and I am happy that you are playing along with W.o.W. Pleased to hear you were looking forward to it this week, so was I!

Gill xo

Megan Blandford said...

Oh, love the idea of continuing on from last week! Good one!

Sandra said...

Hey, I am repeating Megan's words that I too liked the idea of continuing from the last week's writing. This is great idea for me too. Thanks for such wonderful idea and thanks for dropping by my blog too.

Naomi said...

Love it Jodie! I wonder if I can tune in next week for more... I hope so!
xxx

jennifersmart said...

I enjoyed this a lot. Fun & readable.

Miss Pink said...

I love it!

life without mathematics said...

yay for you for following your own muse! I think you make great use of 3rd person, and you sneak in enticing revelations about the character's ideas and thoughts. More of Cassie, Kate and Nick next week?

Anne said...

Hi Jodie. Oooh, I was so excited to see that you had continued from last week. I loved it. I'll be looking forward to finding out about Popcorn guy and the others next week! Loved it!

Anne @ Domesblissity

Sarah Mac said...

I agree, it's great to carry it on. I love the way the stories going so far and I'm looking forward to next weeks episode!

Janelle said...

Wow, I think you might have a talent here for "chick-lit", or whatever horrible name they call it (when it actually means "enjoyable, fun, light-hearted and humorous!). The big question is - what did Popcorn Guy actually do?? Did he just get upset about some popcorn being spilt at the movies? If so, I can kind of understand his disappointment, it's really sad when that happens :(

Jayne said...

Love it! What a fabulous character in Cassie.

Sif said...

This was a fun piece, nice and relaxed - but topical, too - who can't relate to that scene from some point in their life?

LOL, you pick up on the "C" and "K" thing, yourself - and that's what editing is for, right!

I like these characters!

E. said...

I'm intrigued, what was so complicated with Nick? I have just finished reading Rachel's Holiday (by a chick lit author who's name I have dumped out of my head) and your piece reminded me so much of her style.

So I very much agree with Janelle on this. You have a talent for that style.

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

Love that you've continued the story. Can't wait for next week to see what happens at the party. :-)

Good riddance to Popcorn Guy if he couldn't get past a little popcorn spilled in the pursuit of love. He isn't worth the effort. Can't wait to read more about Nick and his complications.