A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - Romance

Hold on to your hats, people. I'm trying my hand at a little fiction writing. Egad!

My friend, Susan, mentioned on Twitter to me a weekly writing class hosted by InkPaperPen, so I took a little lookie in last night and thought, 'What a great idea!'

I haven't written fiction since high school. (This may be stating the obvious when you read what follows. Hee hee....) Some of you may have read The Dance of Revenge series of posts I published on my blog - a 'book' I started writing at the age of 14. Ahem. I'm a little concerned that my fiction writing hasn't particularly evolved since then, but what the hey....let's have some fun, huh?

This week's writing prompt was provided by the very lovely Allison Tait from Life in a Pink Fibro: the first line from her current read. The idea is to write the line at the top of the page, then write whatever comes to mind in the next five minutes.

Here's what came to me.
"I can't stress how important it is that we behead this fiend." 
She watched the movie screen distractedly. Pirate movies weren’t really her thing. Rather, her attention was on the person seated to her right.
She looked down at his hand, resting on his left knee. His leg was only inches from her own. She shifted in her seat then stretched a little, pushing her hands out along her legs, before resting them on her thighs. There. Would he now take her hand in his?
She waited through the sword fight playing out in front of her. Nothing.
She tentatively looked out the corner of her eye at his profile. The light from the screen glinted on his glasses. His lips were parted slightly. She licked her own thinking of his lips touching hers. Would he kiss her later?
She was imagining this when suddenly she felt something unexpectedly touch her right hand. She squeeled, jumping with fright as she did; knocking over the popcorn resting on her lap. He sat beside her, a look of confusion on his face. She looked down at her hand, to find his resting on her leg.
Yes. He had finally taken her hand.
This wasn't going the way she had imagined it would.  

 If you feel like having a little fun writing some fiction of your own, why not join in?





Write On Wednesdays









14 comments:

allison tait said...

Love it! Great work Jodie.

Sarah Mac said...

Oh, this takes me right back! The anticipation, will he, wont he. I love it!

Jennifer Smart said...

Not into the Pirate movie? Not Johnny Depp then? I thought this was great - esp the popcorn spill.

Miss Pink said...

Oooh I LOVED your Dance of Revenge series, so I am eagerly awaiting to see how this plays out *sits on the edge of her seat*

InkPaperPen said...

I think this story actually happened to me?! Although, it was the movie "Species" - terrible movie, I know, but he had won tickets to see it. Think this is really well done, Jodi. So pleased to see you joining in. I am having a lot of fun each Wednesday and am learning sooo much from all the bloggers playing along with the writing prompts. But I did find this week TOUGH. Hope to see you back next Wednesday
xo

life without mathematics said...

I like your focus on a small moment, and the way you infused it with so much.

Megan Blandford said...

I love it!

Melodramatic Me said...

Meeeeemmmmooorriessssss...like the corner of my mind....LOVE IT JODIE!

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

So glad you joined in this week Jodie. Loved your piece. Took me back to a very similar moment in my distant past. The movie was Silence of the Lambs, so I had a very convenient excuse for snuggling up next to the strong brave man next to me.

Loved the popcorn fumble. :-)

Exchange Hosting Service said...

Nice!

Cat said...

Oh LOOK at you all clever and talented. I love this. :)

therhythmmethod said...

You're a natural. I love a clumsy heroine. Hope you join in again, I like your style. :)

Shelly - Tropical Mum said...

You captured that "will he or won't he" feeling perfectly! I enjoyed this little piece, and I look forward to reading more of your Write On Wednesdays.

Kirsty said...

I enjoyed reading it - has inspired me to (maybe) get back into writing a little fiction of my own! Kirsty @ My Home Truths