A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Week That Was... Bloggers & Jersey Shore Wannabes, Learning to Laugh at Yourself and Daffodils

From left: Lisa, Brenda & Moi 
Time to wrap up my week.

I had a huge weekend. I went out Friday night with Hubby (date night!), then on Saturday, after finally getting my hair cut and coloured after FIVE MONTHS, I headed to Tank Stream Bar in the city with my good blogging buddy, Lisa Lintern. We joined some other lovely bloggers to officially welcome home Brenda (MummyTime), Eden (Edenland) and Mrs Woog (Woogsworld) from BlogHer in the US. (For you non-bloggers, that's a rooley big annual blogging conference in the US. It's being held in New York next year, and I have to say...tempted...)

'Twas a night of frivolity and fun...and lots of champagne. As seems to be the case when bloggers - especially those that are parents and whooping it up being child-free for the night - get together.

Ribena and Macleans* hosted the event - so the theme was obviously purple and blue (hence my frilly purple top).

The ever gorgeous blogging/travel buddies, Mrs Woog and Eden.
You can tell I don't get out much. I TOTALLY lost my way to the ladies' room. Which wasn't actually a ladies room in the end...but a shared area with cubicles hidden behind mirrors that had unacceptably wide gaps where the door met the cubicle wall. I've never peed so quickly in all my life. I was just waiting for the click of a mobile phone and my unsightly self plastered all over Twitter. Scary stuff.

There was a little, 'are we going to go out or not?' afterwards, with the original plan to head to Jackson's on George. Which, to be honest, I've never been to, but have heard stories about. As in, not-so-nice-the-place-is-a-sleaze-joint kind of stories, so I was immediately unsure. As we all walked off, and people started climbing in to taxi vans, Lisa and I made an executive decision to direct some bloggers off to the Establishment. I've never been there either, and I'd always been equally as wary of the place, because I'd heard it was a bit fancy-pants, and I don't do fancy-pants well. I guess, on reflection, I sit somewhere in between sleazy and fancy pants when it comes to drinking destinations.

When we arrived, we were shocked (WHAT THE?!) to find a cover charge! We were all like, "Twenty bucks?!" so the doorman let us in for half price. Obviously DESPERATE to get a bunch of mums in to the establishment to balance out what Bianca from Bigwords Blog referred to as 'Jersey Shore Wannabes'. Oh yes...she was SPOT ON. I think we managed to fit in even though everyone was probably about twenty years younger than we were. That is, until some old song from our youth came on (a new mix of it, actually) and Bianca, Lisa and I started putting our hands up in the air and singing, "Woo, woo!" As you do. Or did, in the 80s, anyway.

Not long after, we left, and headed to Jackson's on George where we found some other bloggers and you know what? It was MUCH better. We danced around Lisa's handbag for a while before retiring for the night.

Just goes to show, doesn't it, that keepin' it real often works best in such situations.

*     *     *     *     *

~image~

Some of you may have seen my vlog this week, which I'll link to in a mo.

I had a few people come back and say, "I wish I was brave like you," or "You're so brave to put yourself out there." I think that means they wish they could just let go and do crazy stuff themselves, rather than...are you cr-a-zy, woman?!

Here's the thing: I love to entertain (always have - some, I guess, might say that's being a show-off. What-e-va), and I also love my life. I figure...why spend all my life trying to be what society deems I should be - a sensible, mature mother/woman? Pffft. Life is a one-off thing, people. Live it! Don't worry about what other's think. If you can't have fun, what's the point? I certainly hope I can show my boys that it's ok to have fun and they don't have to be Mr Serious all of the time. Like me, they can be serious and focussed when it matters, but it's also more than okay to just let go if they want/need to.

I really, honestly think that too many people take life waaaay too seriously, and the world can only be a better place if we can learn to laugh at ourselves more. :)

*     *     *     *     *



Did you know that today is Daffodil Day? If you're out and about, buy a Daffodil Day product and help support the Cancer Council who do a great job. Or you can make an online donation. :)

*     *     *     *     *
On the blog this week:

Read the story behind why my friend Kellie is running a half-marathon this September. It's such a moving story.

My latest vlog: Calling All Bloggers! - BLOGGING! The Musical

This week's contribution for Write On Wednesdays: The Walk

Date Night at MAMAK - includes a review for the restaurant. And a rare pic of Hubby. ;)

What did you get up to this week?









* Both Ribena and Macleans have some fab comps going on at the moment. If you head to Ribena's Facebook page, you can enter to win one of 3 family trips to New Zealand, and if you have a little ambitious bright spark at home you should head to Macleans' website where you can check out how to enter your child for a Bright Sparks Academy scholarship worth $5k! I wonder if a 4yo who can talk non-stop from 5.30am to 6.30am whilst wriggling around in his parent's bed is considered a bright spark? Hmmm.

9 comments:

bigwords is... said...

What a funny night. I know i've had a good one when I have to do a runner!! x

Megan Blandford said...

Love those photos! Sounds like a great night!

Corinne – Daze of My Life said...

Sounds like a fun night, I was wishing I was there. Though spending quality time in Tassie with my hubs was pretty darn good. Ending up in hospital when i got back was not so good. It seems to have been an eventful week all round!
x

Maxabella said...

Loved your vlog this week and the fact that you don't take yourself too seriously. My kinda gal. x

Mrs Woog said...

Your vlogs are legendary. No one does them like you. Love your work missy xx

edenland said...

Wow. Seriously amazed and grateful at that post. Was starting to think everyone had a crap time.

Dancing around Lisa's handbag was a highlight - you know what made it even better? The fact that we were doing it RIGHT at the entrance, to annoy people just as they walked in. HURRAH, I say.

You are gorgeous because you are you. xox

Kellie said...

Loving the photos. Wishing I lived further north when I see pix like that!! xx
PS. The vlog was sublime!

Melodramatic Me said...

Oh...gorgeous. I always love your work. Our night out was fabulous fun, even though I had sore legs the following day from doing the running man. And your vlog, well, you know how I feel about your vlogs. You are the MASTER! xoxo

Anonymous said...

You pretty much said what i could not effectively communicate. +1

My site:
dsl vergleich und dsl anbieter