A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Week That Was... The Posts I'd Like to Write But Can't, Conversations with the 4yr Old & Something for the Kids

It's time to wrap up my week. 

There are days - many of them, actually - during which I wish I was an anonymous blogger. Imagine the freedom to write whatever you wanted without consequence?

Some of you may say, 'You can do that now, if you want to,' but I'd disagree. There are always boundaries as far as I'm concerned when it comes to blogging.

All bloggers have boundaries, and they chooses those boundaries for themselves. Some will cross lines others won't, and it's all about personal choice. My boundary forms a perfect circle around the people I love, which includes family and friends. I don't want to write anything that will make someone else feel uncomfortable. I've unintentionally written stuff in the past that has upset people, and that's not fun! These days, and with more experience behind me, I'm more careful. In fact, I'm probably overly paranoid at times! I even deleted a post I wrote about one of my kids last year, because once I re-read it, I realised that someone I know might read it, and mention it in front of their kids, and next thing you know... my son is a target for teasing.

This week, there has been some good stuff and bad stuff happen that I'd LOVE to write about, but really feel I shouldn't. I know that sounds cryptic - especially about the good stuff - but it comes down to what I consider to be too personal to share.

With the bad stuff, I know that a lot of you could relate (I'm ok, it's more about what's affecting a family member), and I'm sure I'd get a ton of great advice, but it's not worth the ripple effect my post may create.

Anyway, please don't worry...I'm fine! It's just frustrating, you know?

*     *     *     *     *

Something I can tell you about though, is about the conversations I've been enjoying with the 4yr old as of late. The other day, he said, "Mum, when I get bigger I can get married and have kiddies of my own." I said, "Yes, you can. How many do you think you'll have?" He replied, "Three." No surprises there. I asked, "What will you name them?" He thought about it a minute, then replied, "I might call one Michael." Michael is a buddy of his.

Last night, he mentioned this again at dinner. The 7yr old said, "You can either get married, or you can do Holy Orders." Now there's a Catholic education in progress.

The other day, he was playing play dough. I was in the kitchen, and he said, "When I have kiddies, I'm going to let them play play dough too." I said, "Oh, well that's nice." He then said, "Yeah, then I can do stuff on my blog."

Now, in my defence, when the 4yo was playing play dough that day, I was on the computer, but I was paying bills and answering emails. Seriously. Ahem. 

*     *     *     *     *

Something I meant to mention last week - and something great for the kids - is that Mathletics is hosting the Commonwealth Bank Australian Maths Challenge from the 30th - 31st August. It's Australia's largest online maths competition. It's a free event for school students aged 4 - 18 years of age. Registration is open now.

We love Mathletics around here. We are very fortunate that the fundraising our school carries out each year enables all its students to have a free Mathletics membership. It's a fun way to learn maths, and for those who have kids who are competitive, your child can compete online against other kids from all over the world. The 7yr old especially loves doing that!

If you sign up with Deals for Mum, look out for their special offers on Mathletics subscriptions. :)


*     *     *     *     *

This week on the blog:

The Lump - the mini health scare I had recently!

The Proposal - Read some great marriage proposal stories from commenters.

Write on Wednesdays - This week, we used the word 'piqued' as inspiration! I'm loving and very humbled by all the positive responses to my writing. Oh, and Anon's comment is not by my mother. Pinky swear. :)

Usually I do a Thursday post, but couldn't be bothered this week. That's the way the cookie crumbles, people.

Have a great Friday, all!





~image~


8 comments:

Rhonda said...

I have written those unintentional posts where I offended someone as well. I sometimes censor myself a little, but only if I'm sure I'm going to be very hurtful and my feelings on it will pass.

Susan @ Reading Upside Down said...

I struggle with should I/shouldn't I at times when I am writing for my blog. I also draw the limit at talking about issues/events etc that are about my family and friends. It's a shame, because if I did include anecdotes about my extended family, I would be Australia's most humorous and entertaining blogger and I would be mega-famous. Seriously. You couldn't make up the weird stuff my family does. *sigh*

Love your conversation with your kids. Holy Orders indeed. As a survivor of a Catholic education, I can guarantee the attractiveness of that option will wear off around puberty, so nothing to worry about there. :-)

sarsm said...

Perhaps a second, anonymous blog to 'let it out' and get answers?

Sometimes I found it hard to write about the ADHD stuff with my son - but actually my writing these posts seems to be a way of communicating with him. He loves my blog. Another bonus I just hadn't expected.

Four years old - the perfect age really, isn't it?

Shelley @ My Shoebox Life said...

I'm finding I'm getting into a 'comfort zone' where I feel like my blog is my safe place where I can say anything that's on my mind. But in reality, I write many drafts and then the little voice inside my head says don't post it - there will be consequences. It's frustrating, but when you choose to blog publicly, it only takes one person to tell one person and another and before you know it, you realise people who aren't in your life any longer are still reading what you write. Not fun. Sometimes I want to write a blog post to those people specifically and say stop reading my blog!! But then again, it's always good to have boundaries. Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

Donna said...

I'm a blogger with boundaries too. Maybe if was more raw I'd have more hit but its not worth upsetting or hurting the people who mean the most to me. I once unintentionally offended my Mum via a blog and it pained me no end. Now I try to think through before I press publish and think "will it be ok if this was splashed across a billboard for all to see"?? Some may not agree with the method but we do what we have to hey?

Maxabella said...

I totally get that. I've been exploring this topic over on my blog too. I don't like share everything and I think that's okay. I share as much as I'd share to 'acquaintances', others are happier with the 'best friends' category and still others share whatever they have in their head. It's all okay. x

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti.

Megan Blandford said...

Yes! SO many things I want to say but can't put on my blog. Sigh. They're the things I write and then delete, or keep in Word or something - just to get the thoughts out.