A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, August 05, 2011

The Week That Was... A Ski Bunny in Training, Gettin' Old, Public Speaking, Malaysian Food & Jeans for Genes Day!

Really, this week's post covers two weeks - seeing that I totally abandoned my blog last week once I got to the snow. 

Yes - it's been ALL about the snow this week, and I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it, but I just had such a lovely time (with a couple of ordinary days and a few even more ordinary moments thrown in...as is par the course of a family holiday), and I'm just basking in the glow of post-holiday joy.

So bite me.

To be honest, I wasn't overly looking forward to our trip. I love road trips...even with the kids. Our boys are pretty good on them, really. I think that might have something to do with a certain portable DVD player and Nintendo DS'...but nevertheless, they travel well.

It's was the skiing part that worried me.

I wish I could say I was this natural skier who glides down the runs with ease and style. I'd like to write that whenever I stop, it's with a big SWOOSH to the side - snow flying in to the air. Well, yes...that did happen once on my trip, actually. But wouldn't you know it? No one was around to see it. Not my husband, my kids or even my instructor. NO ONE. Bummer.

When I stop, it's gradual, and it's not unusual for me to take just too much of a turn uphill in an attempt to slow myself down, only to find my skis have moved in to a 'V' and I'm sliding down the hill. Backwards.

Yup...I'm all class on the slopes.

However, the thing that had my stomach in nervous knots most mornings before hitting the slopes, is the fact that with skiing, I found I couldn't control it that well. I don't seem to have a good motion control going on. I'm either skiing really, really slow or really, really fast. (Well, fast in my world, anyway.) When I suddenly gain speed, I'm part exhilarated, and part petrified. There were a number of times I just went for it - but mostly because I couldn't work out how to take it more slowly on the section of the run I was on, or the momentum just suddenly took me and I couldn't stop it. I actually skied past Hubby and the 9yr old once, shouting, "OH MY GOD - I'M GOING SOOOOOO FAST!!!" Just in case, you know, they hadn't noticed. Afterwards I thought...'Far out. What if I'd stacked it?' I continually had in my mind my instructor's words, "On a green run, there'll always be an opportunity to stop." That was true. EVENTUALLY, you get to a slight upward slope or the like. So long as it's not a tree, you're doing ok. ;)

There's also the fact that I'm not 20 anymore, so when I fall...it's hard. Falling is not fun. I mean I do tend to laugh when it happens, but I'd rather not do it at all. (Fall, that is. I'm happy to keep on laughing for the rest of my life.)

As I type this, I have a very sore right shoulder blade. I'm not actually certain if it's skiing related, but I can't put it down to anything else. The pain has moved in to my right arm, and lying on it this morning....OUCH. Probably a couple of trips to the physio will do the trick....if I can FIND THE TIME TO GO! (Sorry...a little whinge there.)

People joke all the time about hitting the 40 mark and then your body going south. I would always laugh at that. How silly to think you reach a certain age and then POOF!...it's all downhill (in the non-skiing sense).

But I'm afraid it's true. I'm noticing all sorts of changes in my body these days. My metabolism is finally slowing down, which means I can't just eat anything I like anymore and not see it pop up somewhere on my hips. I find strange little bumps on my skin occasionally and I've started to do that thing that only OLD people do, where I pick up a jar at the shops and try to read the label and have to move it back and forth so I can focus on it.

And just like when I'm skiing downhill...it feels out of control to me. Like I can't control the changes. I guess that's life, huh?

*     *     *     *     *

Not sure if you've noticed, but I have a new little badge on the RHS of my homepage that looks like this:


I went to a dinner with some other bloggers recently, all of whom - along with yours truly - have been invited to be Blogger Ambassadors for Malaysia Kitchen Australia. Woot!

What that means, is that I'll be heading off to some (no doubt) yummo Malaysian restaurants in the near future to try their food and then tell you all about it! I know. The things I do for my readers, I tell you...

I'm taking my friend, Jen, with me cos she's my official photographer and simply MUST go. I might even take Hubby one time. If he's lucky. (Actually, Malaysia holds a special place in the hearts of Hubby and I...we had our belated honeymoon there. Awwww.)

I'll tell you more about the restaurant I went to on the night of the first dinner with the bloggers very soon...so keep an eye out for that!

*     *     *     *     *

In other news, it's Public Speaking Week (or something like that) at the 9yr old and 7yr old's school. Which is hell for us parents, quite frankly. (Forget about the kids...it's ALL about me.)

Most years, I have to almost physically hold down my children at a desk and get them to write their speech. They are great procrastinators. Just like their Mum, I guess. Ahem.

However, this year they were pretty good. They both took a turn sitting down at the computer and typing up their speech. (Although, it has to be said they spent an inordinate amount of time choosing the 'right font' for their speech. I would never do that. *cough*)

I only read the 9yr old's just before he left for school yesterday, and I was very pleased indeed to find he had a beginning, a middle and an end...and it was descriptive. Yee-ha! He'd also taped his speech to palm cards and numbered them. I was impressed, people. (Not surprisingly, the speech centered around skiing. Like Mother, like Son.)

The beginning of the 7yr old's speech had me giggling. I posted it on Facebook....


Bless.

I did a couple of speech competitions when I was in high school, and I can still recall standing there in front of a room full of people with a nervous twitch going on in my bum cheek. (Thank God my bum wasn't facing the audience.) It was nerve-wracking. But I think it's great they're getting kids used to doing this stuff at such a young age...even if it is a pain in the you-know-what to get them to write it and practice it!

*     *     *     *     *

Don't forget it's Jeans for Genes Day today! Have you got your jeans on? No? Well as soon as you've finished reading this...you go pop them on!

Go to their website and donate, or pick up some merchandise when you see it at your local store. Also, if you're on Facebook, you can go to their Facebook page and create a patch just like the one I did below. Then you can post it on your Facebook wall, or other's walls! 'Tis a good reminder for all.



*     *     *     *     *

In the last couple of weeks, I've written about Unwanted Parenting Advice & How to Deal With It; I revealed what's REALLY on your takeaway pizza; I caught up with Write on Wednesday, posting two week's worth of my story about Kate and Nick; and I told you all about Perisher - what to expect and how to go about skiing there.

On the recipe blog, I posted a yummy and incredibly healthy Chunky Winter Soup. Delish.

On Sunday I'll be giving parents tips about taking kids skiing...then that will be IT...PROMISE!...about my trip to the snow. ;)

Have a great weekend, people...

6 comments:

Veronica Weatherby said...

One post that covers a two-week event? You're amazing! It's already difficult to write one to summarize a week and you're here writing about your 2-week family holiday. That's genius!

The skiing part has always been difficult and don't worry because you're not the first one, who, well, can't control their speed or whatever you call it. If it helps to make you feel better, I don't know how to ski. :)

Well, I'm sure you've had a great holiday. After all, you've spent it with your family. Oh and the speech was cute!

sarsm said...

Glad you've enjoyed the snow!

I think it's brilliant that your kids have the opportunity to do a speech at that age. Hopefully it will give them confidence in public speaking, which most of us have to do at some time.

I must admit, I do like your 7yo's entry!

Rhonda said...

sounds like a great holiday! it's been so hot here (113 farenheit) that snow sounds pretty darn good!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs Catch said...

Can you believe that I've never been skiing? Will have to get the family there. It looks like great fun.

Thea said...

I've never been skiing but I imagine I'd feel exactly the same as you!
I don't like being out of control of my movement!!
And you are so right about the whole 40 thing. My metabolism has come to a grinding halt...damn metabolism!!