A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - Character Building

It's time for another Write on Wednesdays (WoW) with InkPaperPen!

This week, we're character building for WoW, which suits me perfectly. I was kind of itching to describe my main character, Kate, a little better - but hadn't found a way to do that yet. I love that the prompts each week are giving my story direction!

This week, the words just flowed the first five minutes. Absolutely poured out! As suggested by Gill this week, I abandoned the five minutes and gave myself another five. Then added about another couple of minute's worth to give Kate's character a pretty good rundown. ;) Her BFF Cassie also gets more of a basis to her character in the process. Bonus.

As always, I'm following on this story from my first week's piece for WoW. You can find all the links to the story so far here.

Anyway, without further ado, here's this week's contribution for WoW.

*     *     *     *     *
Kate
Kate stood on Carrington Street outside the entrance to Wynyard Station, waiting for Cassie. She shifted uncomfortably in her new, high-heeled black shoes that her friend had convinced her to purchase the previous weekend, and silently cursed her. They were not her usual style. Kate preferred ballet flats or low heels. Sensible shoes, she called them. Boring as bat-shit and a fashion disaster, Cassie referred to them instead.

Kate had almost fallen over when she noticed the price tag: $329.00. Far more than she would normally spend. However, Cassie had insisted she make the purchase. “Kate, your calf muscles look a-ma-zing. You have to buy them!” she'd said. The fourteen-year old shop assistant (at least, she looked that age to Kate) had bobbed her platinum head up and down in agreement. “Hot,” she’d simply contributed to the conversation. Great, Kate had thought, I’ve now got a Paris Hilton wannabe giving me fashion advice.

Kate winced at the memory of handing over her credit card. Although she had been raised in a fairly financially comfortable home in Mosman on the lower north shore, her parents – especially her father – had always taught her the importance of frugality. It was that knowledge, coupled with her accounting background, which had allowed her to save the money towards purchasing her small apartment in Neutral Bay - just weeks before her thirtieth birthday.

Kate looked towards the escalator waiting for the familiar sight of her friend’s shoulder-length blonde curls to come bouncing up the stairs. Inevitably, Cassie would soon appear, run towards Kate and breathlessly apologise for her tardiness. Again.

Kate smiled to herself. How she and Cassie had remained best friends over the years sometimes amazed her. They were such polar opposites.

Cassie was bubbly, confident, daring and carefree. After high school finished, she’d refused to head to university with the rest of them, and had taken off to Europe instead with her deadbeat boyfriend, Alex. Dumping him in Paris just one week after their arrival, she’d traveled through Europe, making many friends (and some lovers) along the way, before returning home two years later after a stint in London. She now worked as a secretary for a small funds management company. “I can walk out at the end of the day and switch off. Just like that!” she’d say with a click of her fingers.

Kate, on the other hand, had started university as Cassie’s plane had taken off from Sydney Airport. Immediately after her graduation three years later, she had secured a job with a major bank on Pitt Street. Although she had moved firms three times since, she now held an executive role in the Debt Markets Division of a large merchant bank.

Whilst Cassie constantly craved the unknown and surprise, Kate – more quiet, reserved and sensible by nature - craved stability and predictability.

Kate glanced at her watch. It was now seven fifty-five. Cassie was already ten minutes late for their regular Friday morning catch up before work. She sighed and walked to the nearby newsagency adjacent to the top of the escalator. Princess-to-be, Kate Middleton, was on almost every gossip magazine cover. Some had likened Kate herself to Prince William’s fiancĂ©e. Not just her namesake, they both had long, brown hair, dimples and a perfect smile. Kate’s was attributed to her father – a successful, highly sought after dentist. Her eyes were not like Kate Middleton’s brown, sometimes almost blue eyes though. Instead, hers were a light, caramel colour. Which suited her just fine. She had no interest in standing out in any way.

Kate looked down at her black Country Road jacket and skirt (purchased on sale) and smoothed it with her hands. Also unlike her English counterpart, she was not a size six (or was it size four?), but an average size ten, and she liked it that way. She wished she could fill a push-up bra better than she did – like Cassie could (and then some) – but she was fairly satisfied with her body. Besides, Nick had never seemed to mind.

No more thoughts of Nick, she reminded herself, and as if to confirm this, Cassie arrived – her golden locks tied back in a crude, short ponytail; her dark Jackie Kennedy Onassis inspired sunglasses covering her blue eyes. Hungover, Kate thought, and smiled.

“I know, I know…I’m late,” Cassie admitted, walking towards her friend and leaning up on her tippy toes to plant a haste kiss on Kate's cheek. “I just couldn’t get up this morning. Could. Not. So bite me.” She then looked down at Kate's feet, and pushed her sunglasses up to her forehead. "Oooh...you're wearing them! Niiice," she said, winking approvingly at Kate before lowering her glasses again.

Kate laughed, then she and Cassie linked arms and walked towards Martin Place for their regular Friday breakfast; the Sydney summer morning sunshine beating down on their faces. 

*     *     *     *     *

If you want to read more WoW entries, or would like to join in yourself, head to InkPaperPen!



Write On Wednesdays






~image~

12 comments:

K.D.Storm said...

This was awesome. You did a great job.

Miss Pink said...

Oh Jodie you need to be writing books! (And sending signed copies to me!)
Seriously, I love your writing.

Melissa said...

I look forward to reading more :) Kate & Cassie sound like they could be a lot of fun.

Lene said...

This is great. I could just keep reading and reading. Sounds like the kind of story I could curl up with a cuppa and read all night!

Lisa said...

Great work! Like Lene, I wanted to keep reading. Looking forward to reading more about the adventures of Kate and Cassie. Could be the next Carrie and Samantha! :-)

life without mathematics said...

Visiting from WoW. You are on fire! I'm noticing that your characters are developing in a consistent way, and you have the knack of tying in detail in an easy and fluid way (like the CR suit...on sale! Perfect!). Loving it!

Andy @ Words and Pen said...

I am inspired to write better now! YOU ARE A WRITER Jodie! I wish I could write as good as you. I couldn't say anything, you just write excellently! =)

Smiles,

Andy

Jaimee Hunter said...

All that detail in 12 minutes? Holy schanikes! I want to be your best friend. I agree; you should be a novelist! A-MAZ-ING!

Adam said...

You have really got to grips with writing natural dialogue. well done!

Sif said...

Love it, love it, love it! You're characters are so likeable, and that goes a really long way to making the reader want to keep turning those pages. Can't wait to hear more about Kate and Cassie!

Janelle said...

Aww, I love them! Breakfast with a friend on Friday morning before work sounds like a GREAT idea! These two are really memorable, I'm already finding myself wondering what they'll get up to each week.

InkPaperPen said...

I want Kate to break free of herself...I guess this is how her and Cassie work. Polar opposites to add some balance to Kate's life? I like the comparison/similarities drawn between her and Kate Middleton and fantasic tiny details (like the fact we know her Country Road suit was bought on sale) are clever ways to reveal her character. I have to admit, up until this week I have sympathised with Kate, felt sorry for her. But, this week I feel a little more on Cassie's side. I'm not sure why? Perhaps, just as I said at the start of this comment, I'd love Kate to do something crazy!

I have a feeling WoW may have a finished novel on our hands soon enough, Jodi - you are an inspiration to me

Finally getting to your WoW exercise - so sorry it has taken me forever. We have a lot going on at the moment. Thank goodness for WoW though, it helps take my mind off all the things I need to sort out for our move to Perth!

x