A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - The Tree & The Clock Winked...

Seeing that I missed last week's Write on Wednesdays, I thought I'd double up this week.

When I noticed last week during my ski holiday that the writing prompt was a photo of a tree, I felt even more frustrated that I couldn't join in. Immediately I thought of the beautiful trees around Perisher that were covered in snow, and of those that were adorned with icicles.

Although I couldn't exactly sit under one in the snow and write, I thought using the trees in the snow as a visual could give me a great prompt.

So, this week, I thought I may as well use the writing prompts from both weeks - seeing that I find it difficult to keep things short as it is anyway!

Gill of InkPaperPen who hosts WoW, asked me a couple of weeks ago if I had a story in mind, or if I was writing as I go (for those of you reading for the first time, I have decided to attempt to continue with one set of characters). I have a base of a story in mind, but the story is very much being driven by the prompts. This week, my story heads to the snow - because of the visual from the trees on my recent trip. I love that, because if I were to write about Perisher in, say, six months time, I'd undoubtedly forget where I had travelled over the mountains in the five days I skied there. Perfect timing! It also allowed me to reveal information in the story that I wanted to.

Anyway, here's my contribution for last week and this week.

The first instalment I actually wrote three times before I was happy, and then I added a few lines at the end and made a few changes to words throughout the text. The second instalment you'll read, is with the prompt The Clock Winked... I attempted this one twice, and added the last two paras after the five minutes!

*     *     *     *     *  



Stepping off the bus on York Street, Kate promptly forgot her promise of five minutes before to put Nick behind her, and thought back to when they first met.

It was two and a half years ago during the winter of 2006. Kate had joined her friends Bernard and Will on a ski trip to Perisher. Cassie was supposed to go with them, but had taken one step too many down some steps at the Botanical Gardens during a lunchtime work out, and had broken her foot. “Fucking exercise,” she had exclaimed to Kate afterwards; her foot was raised on her parent’s couch in their Lindfield home and she had a Mint Slice in her hand. “It’s safer to eat chocolate and get fat.” And with that, she’d taken a large decisive bite of her favourite biscuit.

The first morning at the snow, standing at the base of Front Valley, Bernard had ran in to an old friend from his uni days. Nick. When Bernard had introduced Kate to Nick, she had instantly felt some sort of connection. His deep, brown eyes had looked directly in to hers as he held out his gloved hand to take Kate’s. “It’s nice to meet you, Kate,” he’d said with a crooked smile, and Kate had looked down towards her ski boots, unable to stop the blush rising up her neck.

When Nick discovered that Kate had only hit the slopes twice before in her lifetime, he had immediately offered to take her on a few runs and give her some tips. It was during one of those runs - about four days in to their ski trip - that she had inadvertently skied off the Pleasant View trail near Pleasant Valley and landed in the soft, deep snow. As she turned on to her back, she noticed she was lying underneath a tree filled with icicles that glistened in the midday sun, hanging precariously from its barren branches. 


*     *     *     *     *



Suddenly, Nick’s face had come in to view – a wide, amused smile on his face - and he’d extended his hand to her. In a moment of pure impulsiveness, Kate had taken his hand and pulled him towards her; the force of which caused Nick to collapse next to her in the snow. They had laughed for a while and then gradually stopped and looked at each other – still smiling. It was quiet on the almost deserted run. Kate could hear her heart thumping in her ears.

Finally, Nick had leaned in and kissed her. By the time they put their skies back on and finished the run, an hour had passed. Without even discussing it, Kate had then simply followed Nick back to his rented cabin situated not far from Front Valley, where they had quickly abandoned their ski clothes and spent the rest of the afternoon in his bed.

As Nick slept later that afternoon – his legs and left arm affectionately draped over her – Kate thought about how fortunate she was that their chance meeting had taken place. She made a mental note to thank Bernard later.

She checked the time on Nick’s bedside clock. Four o’clock. They’d have to meet Bernard soon. As the minute ticked over on the digital clock, it felt to Kate as though the clocked winked at her – as if it understood her newfound happiness.

As she reached for Nick’s hand – resting on her left hip – she suddenly saw it. She hadn’t noticed it before. She frowned, confused. How could she have missed it? Nick hadn’t mentioned anything. Nor had Bernard.

Then she realised. The gloves. Most of the time she had spent with Nick, he had ski gloves on. That’s why she hadn’t noticed before the solid, silver band on his left hand that adorned his ring finger.

A wedding ring.  

*     *     *     *     *

To read more WoW entries this week, or join in yourself, head to InkPaperPen!









Image: It's my own for a change. From Perisher!

10 comments:

House of Prowse said...

ooh juicy that's why she needs to forget him.
It's great, very clever.

Kim H said...

Oh that flippin scoundrel!!! But...hang on...perhaps his wife has died and he's unable to take the wedding band off after 3 years??? Or maybe he thinks he can pick up the girls with a wedding band???? Pray tell!!!!!
A really fun read x

Miss Pink said...

Oh that dirty love rat!

Lene said...

This is great! I love how the two exercises flow into one another and I adore the ending! Riveting!

Tat @ Mum in search said...

Snow holiday! Aren't you lucky. I haven't seen snow for years. I love the story, what a twist in the end!

life without mathematics said...

You've got us all hooked! Snow and instant connections (pheremones have a lot to answer for!), and wedding rings. Pig!

Lovely to have you back.

Naomi said...

Oh that Nick! I'm loving this Jodie, more next week please xxx

Janelle said...

*gasp*!!! Oh great, now I have to wait another week to find out what happens! :)
Loving the continuation of this story, you're doing a great job of it!

Sif said...

Oh, what a bastard! This was clever!

InkPaperPen said...

AHHH, Nick, you bad boy! Why do I feel like he isn't all bad? Is that just wishful thinking? Lovely to hear how the two first met, I can picture Nick well - I liked the detail about his crooked smile. Poor Kate - I can feel her turmoil. I'm also wondering is Cassie has a bigger role to play....

Bring on next Wednesday. You will have a finished manuscript soon!
x