A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Write on Wednesdays - Word of the Week

This week for Write on Wednesdays with InkPaperPen, we're using a single word for inspiration.

First up, can I admit I stuffed up this week? I set the timer on my iPhone ready to write and write away I did. It was all coming out pretty well, and then suddenly I thought, 'Gee, I wonder how much time I have left?' I glanced down and....I hadn't started the timer after all. *sigh*

By that stage, I'd probably written about a third of what follows, so I decided to finish up my train of thought and just write until I got out what I wanted to. I hope no one minds. I'm not a rule breaker by nature (promise!), but then Gill always says there are no rules and to just write - that's the idea behind WoW!

As my story is continued each week, if you're new here and wanna catch up first, you can do so here.

The word we're using is 'piqued'.

*      *      *     *     *


Piqued:
A state of vexation caused by a perceived slight or indignity; a feeling of wounded pride.tr.v. piqued, piqu·ing, piques
1. To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
2. To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
3. To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.


“So,” Kate began, looking at Cassie over the froth of her skinny cappuccino. “How about you come over tonight after work and we’ll head to Military Road for some dinner?”

Cassie didn’t answer. She was stirring her long black coffee, staring intently in to it with a small smile on her face.

“Hello?” Kate asked, putting her coffee cup down and leaning towards Cassie. “Earth to Cassie. Come in, Cassie.”

Cassie looked up, startled. “Sorry,” she replied, smiling at Kate. “I was miles away.”

“No kidding,” Kate replied sarcastically, but returned Cassie’s smile. “What’s up?”

“Oh, nothing,” Cassie replied, distractedly. She looked at Kate quizzically. “What did you just ask me?”

Kate rolled her eyes in exasperation. “About dinner. Do you want to come over and head up to Military Road for some dinner tonight? Maybe to that Thai restaurant you like. Or we could order pizza, I guess.”

“Eww, pizza? No way,” Cassie replied, patting her stomach. “I'll bloat up like a puffer fish.”

Kate raised her eyebrows at Cassie, looking towards her flat stomach. “Are you serious?” she asked, half joking.

“Besides,” Cassie replied. “I can’t tonight.” She suddenly looked uncomfortable, busying herself with the paper serviettes on the table. “I’m, er, already doing something.”

“Really?” Kate asked, her curiosity piqued. “You didn’t mention it last night. What are you up to?”

Cassie sat back in her chair, sighing, and finally looked up at Kate. She smiled shyly. “I’m…” She hesitated.

“What?” Kate asked curiously. “Moonlighting at the Cross on weekends? Working secretly as a drug runner at night? Come on, what is it?”

Cassie smiled again. “You’re a dag.” She paused, put down the serviette she’d shredded to pieces and announced, “I’m going out with Dan tonight.” She shrugged her shoulders.

Kate smiled widely at her friend. “Oh, wow, Cass. Isn’t this something like your third date with this guy?”

“Sixth, actually,” Cassie replied, obviously embarrassed by her admission.

What?” Kate asked, incredulously. “Have you been dating this guy and not telling me?” 

“Don’t be mad at me. I just… I didn’t want to jinx it or anything. I haven’t told anyone.” She lowered her eyes, fiddling with the serviette again. “It probably won't last anyway. I don’t have the best of luck when it comes to relationships. As you know,” she added, looking up again at her friend.

Cassie was referring to her ex-fiancé, Paul. Nearly five years earlier, they had been set to marry and were just weeks away from the wedding when Paul had come home one night and told Cassie he’d been having an affair. For over a month, he’d been seeing an Irish girl he’d met on a Contiki Tour through Europe years before he and Cassie had met. The girl had contacted him on her arrival in Sydney two months prior.

Cassie had been devastated. And angry. She’d immediately called off the wedding. “I was the one who thought we were too young to settle down, and he convinced me it was the right thing to do. That fucking bastard!” she’d cried on Kate’s shoulder afterwards. Last they’d heard, Paul and the Irish girl had relocated to London and were now (by all accounts) happily married with two kids.

Cassie hadn’t been able to commit to anyone since, and her experience with Paul had made her very wary of Nick, for obvious reasons. 

Kate now reached over the table and took Cassie’s hand. “I'm not made at you. Not at all. Go for it. This doesn’t have to be forever, you know. Just see where it takes you.”

Cassie smiled appreciatively at her friend. “Thanks, babe.”

“And now,” Kate announced, releasing her hand from Cassie’s and getting up from the table, “I have to go to work. If I’m late, David will stress out. He flies out to London this afternoon, and no doubt he’ll have me running around the office before he leaves, chasing information for his big presentation over there.”

“David’s an arsehole,” Cassie replied casually.

“True,” Kate answered, smiling at her friend. “But he’s also my boss, and the person whose arse I have to kiss if I want that promotion in September.” She winked at her friend before heading towards the door. She turned back and called out, “Have fun with your boyfriend tonight!”

Cassie fired back, “He’s not my boyfriend!” But she had a wide smile on her face just the same.

After Kate left the café, weaving her way past others as they made their way to work, she thought about Cassie and Dan. Paul had broken Cassie’s confidence – which was no easy task – and it had taken her years, together with Kate’s encouragement, to get it back. She’d flat out refused to get serious again with anyone after Paul had left, and Kate had always wished that her friend would find someone who could restore her faith in love. The realisation that Dan could be that guy suddenly hit Kate, and she was truly happy for her friend.

So why did she have an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach telling her that her long friendship with Cassie was set to change, and that she was about to be left behind? 

*     *     *     *     *

If you'd like to take part in WoW, or read some other posts, head over to InkPaperPen. You won't regret it.


~image~

20 comments:

Jaimee Hunter said...

So exciting, Jodie! I feel like I am tuning in to the next installment of some great love story unveiling itself. I was really looking forward to this this week. Thanks as always for sharing! Also, thank you for the encouragement last week. :-)

Melissa said...

I want to read more! Great story :)

Adam said...

Great writing style. I love the flow of your dialogue; I just haven't got the knack of that yet!

I don't know what's happening this week. Anne@Domeblissity's piece resonated on the stuck and frustrated issue. Your piece resonated on the suddenly broken engagement and subsequent commitment issues!

Naomi said...

As always I love this. Have just gone back to read last weeks which I missed.

You write dialogue really well. Something I have trouble with!

xx

Felicity said...

My interest is definitely piqued and I'll be back for more!

xx Felicity

Rhonda said...

Excellent story! Now I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodie,
I am really enjoying you Write on Wednesday contributions! When are you going to write a novel?I'd buy it:)

Sarah Mac said...

Your attention to detail is amazing, it brings the whole thing alive.

I think that's something Im going to concentrate more on having read this.

Love it Jodie, I really do! x

Miss Pink said...

Ooooh how is it going to change?
And who is this Nick guy? The guy from the first chapter?

Anne said...

Oh Jodie. I look forward to reading about Cassie and Kate every week. I feel like there's a little of me in both characters. Now that Cassie is seeing Dan, I'm looking forward to reading about what unfolds. Has happened to me in real life many times and I can remember it being devastating. Even my sister, who I flatted with a few times, when she got a boyfriend, I hated it, as she did me.

Anne xx

InkPaperPen said...

I suspected last week that there was more to Cassie, and now we know there is. I am liking her more and more each week and I felt a little bubble of excitement when I saw your link in the linky. I think we all feel like we are getting to know these characters! I agree with all the comments above about how naturally you write. I am excited about your progress

Oh, and this brought back memories...in 05 MM and I were living in Mosman and regularly grabbed dinner on Militay Road.

Andy @ Words and Pen said...

Dear Jodie,

You have to teach me how you write. I just can't help myself but continue reading! Cassie is cute and Kate's admirable. No worries with the rule, you just made a great story everyone would love to read! I admire your talent.

Smiles,


Andy

House of Prowse said...

It's great - maybe you have a knack for screenplays with your dialogue knack?
I want to know where Nick is too!

Laura Maria said...

Absolutely loved the dialogue! I always feel mine sounds unnatural but yours flowed beautifully.
Also, the story was great and I'm definitely interested in what happens next.

Sif said...

Yes, why did she have that feeling? I'm completely hooked on this story now! Well done!

MaidInAustralia said...

Yes, my interest has been piqued too. Can't wait for the next instalment!

Lene said...

You have a real talent with this genre. As I said last week I really feel like I could just keep on reading and reading. It flows beautifully. Can't wait to read more!

Kimberlee said...

Really enjoyable! :D

Maid In Australia said...

Yes, my interest has been piqued too. Can't wait for next installment.

Stephanie said...

I enjoyed reading this!
I laughed out loud when Cassie said she would blow up like a puffer fish.

I am looking forward to finding out how these two friends deal with the "new love interest" that is coming about.