A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Week That Was... School Holidays - Week 1

After sitting in the howling wind late Friday afternoon watching the nine-year-old at cricket training, the school holidays officially commenced. 


Saturday morning, Hubby took the nine-year-old to his cricket match (they won again - YES!), and even though it wasn't exactly gorgeous, sunny weather, I took the seven-year-old and four-year-old for a quick bike ride to the local cafe. As we arrived, the four-year-old rode his bike around a waiter who was carrying a bunch of boxes. The waiter didn't see him and swung around, hitting the four-year-old in the head. Ouch. Afterwards, though, as the four-year-old's tears gradually subsided, the waiter returned to our table with a plate filled with marshmallows, and all was forgiven and forgotten.

When the waitress then brought out their milkshakes, the four-year-old quickly started drinking his. I said, "Say thank you to the lady, please," and without removing his lips from the straw he muttered, "Mmm-moo." Sigh. 


Later, after we'd dodged the few raindrops that threatened to drench us on the way home, I knelt on the floor of the four-year-old's bedroom picking up some clothes I had just dropped there. Hubby came in and stood in the door way. I looked up to see these in his arms...



The fact that he'd bought me flowers at all was fabulous (I don't think he's bought me long stemmed red roses since....too long to remember), but even more amazing was that he had travelled to the local shopping centre to purchase them, which he usually avoids like the plague on weekends because it's so busy there.

You know how marriage, and in fact any relationship for that matter, has it's ebbs and flows? Sometimes it's good, sometimes a little more challenging? Well, right now, Hubby and I are in a very good place. Especially after the roses. ;)

Sunday it rained some more, and that's when the house got turned upside down. By Monday, I was over it, and initiated The Big Cleanup after we'd tackled the four-year-old's swimming lesson and the weekly food shopping (that's hell right there, people - food shopping with three boys).

On Tuesday, the sun finally shone, and the nine-year-old and seven-year-old had friends arrive for a play date. I dropped the four-year-old to daycare then drove the boys to Pirate's Mini Golf on the northern beaches.

The drive there made me realise I obviously need to clean out my car, as the boys spent time finding stuff in it to trade to each other. "Hey, do you wanna swap this dead weed for that stale corn chip?" Yup.

On arrival, I split my boys up with their friend (also brothers) so they could separately play 9 holes at a time. (That way, they wouldn't annoy each other.)

Can you imagine how many golf balls are in that water?


There's the 7yr old through the bushes. 


The 9yr old, who clearly needs new sandals, and his friend get ready to tackle hole 7. 

Then they came back to me - I was sitting in the centre of the premises in the sun drinking coffee and reading my book (aaaaahhh) - for some yummy muffins our guests' mother had baked (nom). (Thanks, Fiona.)



Whilst they played their second set of 9 holes, I thought I'd call my parents for a quick chat, and Mum said to me on answering the phone, "So, you want to speak to Dad, then?" I was all like, "Oh, yeah. I'll have a chat," but at the same time wondering why she didn't want to chat more to me first. Mum paused, and I suddenly realised why she had asked. "Oh God," I said, "Is it the 27th?" Yes, people. It was my Dad's birthday. I hadn't forgotten it per se, but I didn't realise the date either (damn school holidays). Thank goodness Mum answered the phone first.

Dad turned 86, but insists he's older. More like 90. I said, "Maybe you just feel ninety, Dad?" He loves it when I tease him.

After the boys finished their golf, I sent them off to buy icy poles, as the weather was so beautiful and warm. Then we headed back to our house for some lunch and play time before I dropped our guests home at 2pm. 

That afternoon, I cooked spaghetti bolognese before the big boys had their swimming lesson, then we collected the four-year-old and headed home for dinner. Except me. Because I headed out to dinner myself with a bunch of girlfriends. (More on that another time.) T'was a fun night!

Wednesday the rain returned, and subsequently I couldn't get motivated (or perhaps it was because of the champagne I had consumed the night before?). I lazed around in bed mostly, only getting up every now and then to assist the boys with breakfast etc. Before I knew it, it was almost lunch time, and my friend, Jen was soon due to arrive with her three kids. 

A few weeks ago, I received an invitation from a PR company to attend a special "Mother & Daughter" event. Er...obviously the company didn't read the homepage of my blog, seeing that it clearly states I'm a mother to three boys. Not to worry though, I asked the PR co if I could send Jen and her daughter, Miss C, instead, and they were very happy to have them. (I'll be posting something on that soon.) Jen's two boys stayed with me, and to show their appreciation, Jen and Miss C: a) baked a cake for us to consume during their absence (it was NOM, and I could get used to this other people baking stuff for me kinda thing); and b) purchased these for me afterwards...



Love. Aren't I a lucky gal to receive so many flowers over the last couple of weeks?! (Thanks, Jen.)

Yesterday, I took the boys to a local indoor play centre in the morning (wet again!) which really should be called Hell on Earth during the school holidays; it's packed with older kids who run around like lunatics (including my own), causing all sorts of chaos. But the bonus? It has free WiFi and a cafe, so I was able to type up this post whilst sipping coffee and eating raison toast. ;) 

There's always an upside, people. 

Today we headed to the cinema to see Spy Kids 4, with the only saving grace at having to sit through such a movie was the fact that Jeremy Piven (Ari Gold from Entourage) played a key role(s).



He's all shades of amazingness, no?

I had planned to cheat and buy some Maltesers from Kmart or Coles beforehand, cos I'm a tight arse clever like that, but we were running late and instead I spent a small fortune on them and a bag full of lollies at the cinema on arrival, just making it in time for the main feature. (Which the kids enjoyed.)

Live and learn, people. Live and learn. 

How has your week been? Do you have kids on school holidays? What are you doing to keep busy?







4 comments:

A Dose of Dannie said...

Miss 12 is driving me bonkers really! We have been to gallerys ,movies ,parks ,beach etc... When i didn't have any money the other day she said "i'm bored" I gave her my phone she played games for hours i was in heaven & peace LOL :-)
Zoo tomorrow then Royal Melbourne Show!
shit hurry up and end holidays you are sending me bloomin broke hahaha

Naomi said...

The weather has been horrid for holidays hasn't it!
I must say I'm impressed by your big clean up. We had one of those the weekend before holidays started... lego currently all back in boxes... for now!

Flowers are so nice. Hubby gets them for me sometimes, for no reason. Love that!

The Blue Eyed Boy has been off at friends most of the week, apart from when I had to go and spend a small fortune on his uniform for high school next year, and the Green Eyed Girl has been at friends too... so nice and quiet round here!

Here's hoping for some much nicer weather next week!

xxx

Permanently twenty three said...

I'd shag Ari Gold.

I can't believe I said that out loud. Woops.

Megan Blandford said...

Sounds like lots of fun is being had!