A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Girls' Night Out at Kuali Malaysian Restaurant

In the final Malaysian restaurant visit for Malaysia Kitchen Australia ('MKA') (*sob*), I headed to Kuali Malaysian Restaurant in Lane Cove with some girlfriends from my sons' school. 

If there's one thing I've learnt over the years when it comes to dining out, it's to not let position or decor of a restaurant put you off eating there. For example, one of our fave takeaway restaurants local to us is incredibly basic (you can eat there, but it's not somewhere you'd go for a special meal), but the food is fantastic.

Kuali - although fairly basic with its decor - is definitely dine-in quality. It is situated on the 1st floor of an arcade, right next to a gym. (Handy. You could eat then go work it all off.) So, it's location may not necessarily appeal straight off to some. However, out of all the restaurants I visited through the MKA experience, it was probably the most consistent when it came to quality of food and service.

Here's what we had:

Kajung Chicken Satay - $11 for 5
Although the satays were small compared to others I've had, they were really tasty. A great size for kids especially, but also for adults not wanting to overload themselves with the starters.

















Roti Chanai - $3.50 per serve
Right up there with some of the best Roti I've had. Tasty and light. 



Beef Rendang - $20
Although the flavour was good, I found the beef was a little dry. I'd give it another go though. 



Hainanese Chicken - $18.50
Although this dish is of Chinese origin, it's commonly served in Malaysia. The chicken is delicately poached. To be honest, it isn't the prettiest to look at (and one of my friends couldn't bring herself to try it!), but it's actually really yummy. Very tender with delicate flavours. Nom. 



Whole Snapper - $40 (Special)
Perfectly cooked fish that lifted beautifully off the bone. The flavours were subtle - not overpowering the fish. Delicious. 



Kapitan Prawns - $28
This was one of the better prawn dishes I've had during my MKA experience. Creamy and SO flavoursome. I'd highly recommend this dish. 



Salt & Pepper Squid - $20
I love me a bit of salt & pepper squid, and Kuali's version did not disappoint. SO tasty. 






Penang Char Kuey Teow - $15
To be honest, I probably wouldn't have chosen this dish myself. I hardly ever order noodles for some reason, even though I like them. My friend Liz chose this and it was really, really tasty. The next day, I kept thinking about it and craving it. I'll have to head back for some lunch some day and order this. Fabulous. *My fave dish of the night.



All the food was enjoyed with a little of this:



Kuali recently won the Restaurant & Catering Awards for Excellence 2011 - Asian Restaurant. Well deserved.


Once again, we were the last to leave. I blame Jen. It's SO obviously her influence. ;) (Thanks for your pics, Jen!)

I give it: 4 out of 5

I've really enjoyed doing my reviews for MKA. I'm so glad I've discovered some great Malaysian restaurants. Be sure to check some out yourself! (Check out the Malaysia Kitchen Insiders Facebook page for all the latest Malaysian food news!)

7 comments:

Mum on the Run said...

All the elements for a perfect evening, really.
:-)

Torkona said...

Mmmm salt n pepper squid! :-)

Woah! look at your blogroll! Love if you come over to check me out, see if you'd liek to add me! :-)

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh yum, you've got some of my favourites in there - and a few I'm dying to try. Sounds like you've had quite the amazing experience x

Megan Blandford said...

Looks like a great one - and I agree, sometimes the unassuming looking places have the best food.

Jacki said...

Yum! Looks like a great night out!

TheLaksaBlog said...

Hey Jodie, great review! We met at the first MKA dinner briefly I think, I was BrookevstheWorld's 'plus one'.

Was thinking about trying this one, but haven't made it so far - looks really nice and I think we may have to test it out. Glad to see you discovered the Char Kway Teow- always one of my favourites (when I'm not eating laksa of course...)!

restaurant insurance said...

I had no idea that hainanese chicken was also served in a Malaysian restaurant.