A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

New York - Day 2

We walked over eighty blocks in New York today.

Not surprisingly, I'm rather exhausted as I type this. What a day!

Unfortunately, jet lag kicked in last night and we woke at 2am to the sound of jackhammering somewhere in the near vicinity. (We've been assured it was a one-off - something to do with a broken down generator.) That was it. Even after ordering a milkshake and an apple pie from room service, there was no sleep, and eventually we gave up and got ready for the day.

We headed to our dining area. There was so much on offer to eat.

After a yummy breakfast of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and bacon, we headed out for a walk.






We intended to find Grand Central Station, and we're quite certain we had, but after a quick stint walking underground without so much as a grand staircase in sight, the heat got too much and we left. We'll find it another day!

In any case, it wasn't a day to be underground today anyway. Although cool and crisp outside, it was also sunny and clear. Perfect for walking.

With plans to see the Guggenheim Museum, and too early to shop or do much of anything else (the shops don't seem to open here until 10am, nor do the museums), we decided to walk the forty or so blocks.

We made our way up Fifth Avenue mostly, eventually making our way past Central Park. We decided to walk through a little of the park and although we saw only a taste of it today, it was more than enough to whet my appetite for more.







We even saw a squirrel searching for nuts. How cute!

As we exited the park, we walked along looking at all the beautifully maintained apartment buildings. It feels quite European walking around the upper east side (hello, Gossip Girl!). Well, at least we think it's the upper east side. ;)



We decided the bigger and fluffier your dog, the bigger your apartment must be. (It's probably quite the status symbol to have a dog like this one:



Eventually, we made it to the Guggenheim.



We still had a little time to spare, so we walked towards Madison Avenue for a cup of tea. As we did, we passed a school with a lot of cute little boys dressed in grey track pants and 'sweat shirts' - obviously making their way to the park for some sport (lucky things)! We passed many black sedans with drivers, and upper east side mums standing around having a chat. I wondered about their life. Do they have some swanky apartment awaiting them nearby? What do they do with their days? Shop at all the fancy stores along Madison Avenue? Fascinating.

At the Guggenheim, we saw famous works of Cezanne, Manet, Van Gogh, Pissaro and Monet. Unfortunately, about a quarter of the museum was inaccessible because of renovations, but we enjoyed our hour or so there. I did get asked not to take photos at one point, so my photography came to a stop after that. I managed to get these ones first though:







We then walked back towards our hotel, stopping in a few shops along the way, but the early start caught up with us. We eventually decided to head back to the hotel for some lunch and a quick two hour snooze - which accidentally turned in to four hours!

We got up and got ready to head to the Meatpacking District for some dinner at a restaurant called Pastis. Gorgeous.





Hubby had a Tuna Nicoise, I had mussels with breadcrumbs and a sauce - so tasty. I decided to indulge in dessert: crepe suzette. Delicious!

We retired to our hotel for a little tv watching. I can't believe we're in America and I STILL can't find much worth watching! Geez.

All in all, a busy but wonderful first full day in New York.

My Boys - Missing you like crazy. We've passed some interesting shops in search of a lovely pressie for you...but remember...you have to be good first (and we hear you are)! :) xxx

In the meantime, here's a store front ready for Halloween. Our driver tonight told us to hold on to our hats, because it's gonna be HUGE! He reckons Halloween here is bigger than New Year's Eve! Now, that's saying something.





Until next time....



9 comments:

nicky said...

HELLO *waves madly* I'm a tad jealous!

One of you was supposed to have the burger last night and the country salad. Did I forget to mention that???

Walking is all I do in NY. I don't like cabs (car sick) and I'll take the subway if I'm running late or it's pouring, but otherwise walk.

Keep having a ball. You MUST go to the West Village to watch the Halloween Parade...MUST

N x

Corinne – Daze of My Life said...

Oh so jealous!!! Have fun. xx

Thea said...

What a wonderful first day!
I feel like I'm on tour with you, you're a fabulous tour guide by the way. ;)

Miss Pink said...

Oh it looks so beautiful over there Jodie!

Maxabella said...

Sigh. I wish it was meeeeeeeee!!! x

Amy said...

Love the photos!

So jealous! Have fun

Megan Blandford said...

Oh! It sounds like you're having a fab time - loving the photos! x

Linda said...

Thought I saw you at my daughter's kindy orientation today. I guess not. This is a FAB place to be instead!

Rhonda said...

Pastis! I'm so jealous. And the Gug! I love NY. I wish I could convince my husband that we could live there. The Halloween Parade is a must.