A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Monday, October 31, 2011

New York - Day 7

Well, I'm sad to write, Hubby and I have come to the end of our last full day here in New York. *sob*

Last night, we headed to Spice Market in the Meatpacking District to meet a friend (and ex-colleague) of Hubby's.

I wish I'd taken a photo inside - it was really fabulous. (The photo on the right is the restaurant without the mood lighting. It looks lovely at night.)

The menu looked so comprehensive - and all so yummy - so we decided to leave it up to the waiter to choose three starters and three mains (or 'entrees' as they're called here - haven't quite worked that one out yet) on our behalf.

He was spot on.

The food was really amazing. We had small dumplings to begin with, followed by spiced chicken samosas with yoghurt, then beef skewers with a Thai basil dipping sauce. For main we had char grilled chicken with a kumquat lemongrass dressing, followed by a noodle dish of some sort (that was delicious, but I can't remember what it was!) and red curried duck. Nom.

Everything was downed with ginger margaritas. They were really yummy. :)

This morning, Hubby and I both woke early, so we decided to hit the road and take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

This is something I really wanted to do, and I'm so glad I did. Not only was the bridge - and the view - amazing (even with ice all over it...a little slippery in parts, but that didn't seem to stop the joggers!), but once in Brooklyn, we were quite surprised how gorgeous it was there.

We spent about three hours walking the streets of Brooklyn...


Ice, ice, baby.

View from a bridge.

Slippery...

From the ground up.

Near The River Cafe just underneath the bridge. Gorgeous!





How cool is this apartment block?

A gorgeous tree-lined street. 

We were going to stop for coffee here, however
they only accepted people (or aliens) for brunch.

We found a cafe where we could sit at the 'bar'.
We had apple pie. (Nom. Even though I really hoped for
pumpkin pie - I'd like to try that!)
With whipped cream from a can. (Er, not so nice.)

Just an example of some of the homes. 



My friend Sonia - an interior designer - would go nuts
along this street in Brooklyn. It had heaps of
home wares kind of stores with really funky stuff.

Afterwards, we took the subway to Soho for some lunch and some shopping. I discovered the joy and bargains of Banana Republic that I've heard so much about over the years - with 40% off the whole store today! Woot!

Soho was incredibly cool looking. I wish I'd taken more photos. (Too busy looking in the shop windows.)



We worked up a thirst trying on clothes, so we stopped off at a cafe for a Root Beer - a soft drink I wanted to try because I've heard it mentioned in so many American television shows etc in the past.

Dencorub...I mean, Root Beer.

When I opened it, Hubby said knowingly, "It tastes like Dencorub." (He's had it before.) Which is silly, because you don't drink Dencorub, right?

And guess what? It did! I can't explain it, but when you drink it, it's like there's Dencorub there. Bizarre! (I won't be having it again, I'm afraid.)

Tonight, our last in New York, we decided to dine in. We were too tired to get dressed up yet again and head out to another fancy schmancy dinner, so we cancelled our reservations. They do a great room service here at our hotel, and our package includes drinks and canapes, so we headed out for some of those earlier. Woo hoo! (Oh, and I'm not 100% certain, but when we were having our canapes, one of the Managers was showing a woman around who looked very much like Dawn French. I didn't have my glasses on, so I can't confirm this, but certainly people were looking knowingly at her.)

Tomorrow we plan to head out for a bit before we have to leave New York, so I'll update later in the week. I'm kind of hoping I can finally ride that bike through Central Park, but I doubt it's going to happen. As Hubby says, "You need a reason to come back." Too true.

Even though I've absolutely loved it here - it's such an amazing place - and it's been fantastic spending so much uninterrupted time with Hubby again after almost ten years, I'm really missing my boys and can't wait to see them on our return.

BIG KISS & HUGS, BOYS! xxxxxxx

And I'm looking forward to a coffee with you, Jen, and another catch up with you soon, Mardi. xxx

Thanks for reading, ya'll. See you back in Sydney!!!




9 comments:

Aneets said...

I have LOVED reading about your trip & am also sad it is coming to an end. I really want to do the same with my hubs sans kids one day.

Have a good trip back & soak up the alone time before you are back home again.

River said...

Root Beer tastes like Dencorub?? Oh blech!!
I'm drooling over thoughts of dumplings and char-grilled chicken though.
Your photos are so great, I like that view from a bridge one and the pumpkins in the pots down by the River Cafe.
It's been lovely seeing New York through your eyes.

stinkb0mb said...

i hope you have a safe flight back - i was kinda hoping QANTAS would still be grounded "forcing" you to have to spend a day or so more in NY ;-)

Guv and i have always said if we ever live in NY we'd live in either Brooklyn or Staten Island, it just looks like either would suit us down to the ground!

xx

Thea said...

It's over already? Boy, that went fast!!
Thanks so much for taking us on a wonderful journey, Jodie.
Safe travelling home. xx

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Thanks sooo much Jodie for sharing your very special trip! Am very glad that you & Hub have had couple time in such a wonderful city. Got to say, you have made an awesome record here on the blog. Loved reading about NYC & seeing your photos. I'm hoping a coffee one day may be on the planner before I go to NYC in 2012!
Safe trip home, and don't squeeze those boys too hard! Xx

Mum on the Run said...

I have loved my 'virtual' trip to New yourk courtesy of you.
Thanks!
:-)

Lisa said...

Love those buildings and views of the bridge.
Yes, root beer takes like Dencorub smells. So weird!

Megan Blandford said...

All the photos are great, Jodie - almost feel like we're there with you. Have a great trip back!

Lisa Lintern said...

Loved this post Jodie. Fabulous photos. Felt like I was there...*sigh*