A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Week That Was... Including Back to School, NY Planning, Cupcake Indulgence & Getting Active

image
I don't know if it was the realisation that school was about to start again, or if they were just plain sick of each other after being together for two weeks, but over the weekend the boys just fought and fought. 

There's nothing worse than when your kids argue. No, wait. There is something worse: when they bop each other with frustration! But the incessant, "He won't let me plaaaaay!" and "I had it first, Mum. He just stole it from me!" was really doing my head in by the time I got the kids in to bed on Sunday night.

So back to school the nine-year-old and seven-year-old went. The seven-year-old had swimming lessons for four days out of five, so each night I had to put together a backpack using 'the list'. Apart from the usual swimming costume, goggles, towel, t-shirt, another item on the list was a swimming cap. I thought to myself, Obviously for the girls. Nope. ALL students were required to wear one. I had to send Hubby to the local swim centre after work on Monday to purchase one, because I couldn't find the three freebies we'd been given some time back from another swim centre that I'd disregarded.

What's up with the swimming cap thing? We already make our kids wear goggles and swim shirts (although, mine don't wear one when swimming indoors)...do we really need to protect their hair as well?! Keep it out of their eyes? Oh, the poor things. In my day....

(Oh, okay...I'll get off my high horse now.)

*     *     *     *     *

In between all the in-fighting at our place over the weekend,  on Saturday night Hubby and I managed to escape to a friend's 40th Birthday Party (my dear friend Mardi's hubby celebrated his big day). (Seriously, they had the best finger food I think I've ever had at a party. Little gourmet curry pies, salmon mixed with wasabi and something else on slices of cucumber, rare roast beef with horseradish, pickle and baby spinach on fresh bread, vegetable samosas...and more. SO delicious.)

Anyway, whilst there we met a lovely couple who had travelled together to New York a couple of years ago (the ones who told us about The Leaving Gift for their kids). We talked about where to go and what to see and the next day - whilst sitting in the warm sun and drinking coffee - Hubby and I talked about our own upcoming trip to New York. (You're going to be so relieved when I eventually return and stop talking about it, aren't you?)

I sat down and marked off all the places I'd like to visit...



Hmmm. We might be biting off a little more than we can chew, but we'll sure as hell try and see it all!

*     *     *      *      *

In other school news, we've always had a bit of an issue with the kids leaving jumpers and drink bottles and the like behind. Some have disappeared forever. Including the BRAND NEW size 10 jumper I bought the nine-year-old earlier this year. He wore it twice, left it behind and it's...gone. Poof! Just like that. (I think it's because the new jumpers have tags on the inside, half way down for writing their name on, and I'm convinced some other child has accidentally taken it home and his/her mother has NO IDEA they have it.)

The seven-year-old really reached a personal best in misplacing items this week though. Within the first three  days of Term 4, he managed to misplace a drink bottle (still missing), a lunch bag (I found), swimming goggles (he found) and two jumpers - one of which the nine-year-old gave up for him on Wednesday morning (after the 7yo's jumper had gone missing the day before) so his little brother wouldn't get cold (I found them both). 



It's time to re-introduce the Missing Items Penalty System: If an item of clothing or the like doesn't come home from school, and isn't found within 3 school days, the cost of that item will be paid out of the child's pocket-money. 

That worked a treat last term. It's amazing how quickly they can find their stuff when the threat of future birthday monies received from family is at threat. :)

*     *     *     *     *

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying riding my bike these days. The four-year-old and I go on regular rides together - almost daily - mostly heading to the local post office before taking a little detour before returning home.



On Tuesday, after riding with him to daycare, I rode on to my doctor's appointment.

I got there in plenty of time, so I rode up to a cafe I've often passed but have never been in to. I ordered a cappuccino and sat outside, my bike at my side.



My plan - weather permitting - is to do a longer ride each Tuesday after taking the four-year-old to daycare. I managed almost 10kms on Tuesday - some of which was up some pretty mean hills - and even though that's nothing compared to Hubby's regular 90-100km bike rides, it's a start.

It just feels good to be moving again. You and I both know that you can watch what you eat - even live off alfalfa if you want - but it's getting moving that will get you fit and healthy in the end. Lord knows...I need to get healthy.

I hope to be riding bikes for as long as my Dad did. He was 80 when we purchased his last one!

*     *     *     *     *

Even though I've been watching what I eat a little more lately (NOT dieting - don't believe in it), I'm all for balance. Eat from the five food groups. Drink lots of water (something I need to do more of). Exercise and eat crap occasionally.

The four-year-old enjoyed a stop off at our local patisserie this week, and we indulged in a little cupcake action...

A vanilla cupcake with sprinkles for him.

A Red Velvet cupcake for me.

Nom.

*     *      *      *      *

Lastly, the invitation for my niece's wedding (she's my age) arrived this week.


Not only is it nice to find something like this amongst all the bills and junk mail, I can't wait to see her frocked up for the big day!

I'm crossing my fingers that the bridal party's outfits are a little more modern than the ones we designed in the 80s for her Barbie doll when she married The Six Million Dollar Man (thanks to my nephew's collection of 'man dolls') in a poolside ceremony at my house. There was a lot of brown and gaudy blue going on there - not to mention the fluorescent ribbons that decorated the alter. *shudder*

I'm tres excited.  

*     *     *     *     *

If you like, you can check out my list of recent posts on the RHS of my homepage for what I've been up to. Oh, and it's World Egg Day today, did you know? I'm celebrating that over at my recipe blog with a recipe for Mexican Egg & Corn Fritters. Nom.

How was your week? Do you have kids that lose items constantly? How do you combat that? 





5 comments:

Slawgirl said...

My miss 5 was losing things daily at school. I started rewarding her with 50cents each time she brings ALL her things home from school, with the clincher being if her older brothers had to help remind her or find anything then they would get the money instead. She is so fiercely competitive that it worked a treat form day 1! We stop at the local shop on the way home and she gets to buy whatever she wants!

MummyK said...

Oh to be watching Broadway. Take me with you??

Mum on the Run said...

I love your penalty system.
I am always astounded that some parents at school don't label gear after forking out a small fortune for it.
(I'm sure you're not in that category!)
Despite labelling them, Magoo's hats get 'accidentally' taken home by other children when he's at at daycare once a week. I'm not sending the good ones anymore!
:-)

River said...

I don't remember my kids losing much more than pencils or sharpeners. There was the time my oldest came home from a swimming class without her brand new watch, it had fallen out of a hole in her bag and a "friend" picked it up and claimed it as her own. We invited the friend over to play the next day and showed her the receipt from the jewellery store which had the serial number of the watch written on it, so she took it off and gave it to T. T never played with her again after that.

Uniforms Australia said...

Kids are happy to go back to school.