On Sunday (I think - time has just flown), I woke up with a sore throat. Great.
Terrible timing, because Hubby and I head to New York next week. Yes...NEXT. WEEK!
To be honest, I wasn't going to say when I was leaving, because I'm a bit funny about telling people where I am when I'm there - you never know who's reading. However, we have someone staying at home with the kids and our FEROCIOUS dog is also here. I'm serious...I wouldn't mess with him if I were you. He's very protective of his home and his 'pack' (that'd be Hubby, I and the kids, natch). Even a company we tried once that comes to your house to feed and walk your dog for you when you're away won't come again because our dog scared the person they sent (and she's dealt with some of the worst dogs in South Africa, apparently). So...don't go trying anything if you're some weirdo/burglar/type person reading this and just happen to know where I live.
Aaaaanyway...I really needed to be on the ball this week getting my lists together and sorting stuff out. When someone comes and stays with you, it's one thing. But when they're going to have to use your stuff to prepare meals and get clothes organised for your kids, it's another.
This week I've....
- Cleaned out the freezer. Seriously, there was food in there from 1987. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, because I didn't even know my husband in 1987, let alone share this house with him, nor did I even live in Sydney or own a fridge - especially not my current fridge - but you get what I mean, right?
- Cleaned out the pantry. There was a good reason why we had so many moths flying around here. Enough said.
- Cleaned out the kid's clothes drawers. You know what it's like, right? You kids wear stuff for a while, they outgrow it, but it still sits in the bottom of their drawer. You know it doesn't fit and you just choose stuff around it, but it's confusing for those who don't know. You know?
- Cleaned out under the trundle bed in the big boys' room. This happened quite by accident. The seven-year-old got a Hex Bug stuck under there (it vibrates around on the floor like a cockroach - nice), so after he left for school, I pulled it out and WOW...how long has it been since I cleaned under there? We found stuff we hadn't seen in aaaages - including approximately 347 pieces of Lego - and lots of dust...ewww. It's lovely and clean now.
I have so much more to do. I still haven't even picked out what I'm going to pack...let alone pack it!! But I did purchase my boys' Leaving Gifts (I think they'll love them), I booked restaurants in various locations in New York, and purchased tickets to a Broadway show. Woot! It's very exciting. (BIG thanks to @Nicky_Lavigne for supplying me with tips and shopping locations (VERY important). I'll be Tweeting you from NY, Nicky! For sure.)
* * * * *
On Monday night, I had a lovely break from all the stress of getting ready for my trip by catching up with my lovely friend, Mardi. She is too gorgeous. She's one of those people everyone likes. She's encouraging, supportive and incredibly loyal. I love her. I feel so blessed to have her and Jen in my life.
Anyway, enough mushy stuff. We had a lovely meal at a Mexican place that has decided to infuse their food with Chinese flavours. (Huh?!) We stuck with the Mexican fajitas. Nom. Then we later moved on to a place for a cuppa (me) and hot chocolate (Mardi).
Every time I get together with Mard, we talk and talk, and at the end of the night, after we say goodbye, I think of a dozen other things I wanted to ask/tell her.
We SO need to get together for these dinners more often.
I also had two coffee sessions with Jen this week. She and her hubby, Mr P, went to New York a little while back, so we talked about that - where to go etc. I always love my coffee catch ups with Jen. :)
* * * * *
Remember a little while back I wrote about a new game called Skylanders? Well, we were sent the new Starter Pack this week with the portal and three characters. (You've surely seen this advertised on tv!)
Ours is the Wii pack, but you can get it on a bunch of platforms (the graphics on Playstation are AMAZING).
I'm probably going to put together a list of the top ideas for Christmas gifts this year, and I already know this will be on it. It's just amazing technology, and so versatile (the kids can take their characters to their friends' house that have a portal, pop it on there and play away - or play it on the computer)!
The boys are HOOKED. Hooked, I tell you. I predict big sessions playing it this weekend.
* * * * *
I kind of feel funny about writing this (look at MOI, look at MOI), but I bet ANYTHING that every person who has ever had a piece published in print for the first time gets just as big a kick out of it as what I did.
I wrote a piece for Kleenex Mums a while back that AKA Mom Magazine (a US publication) saw and asked if they could publish in their Fall 2011 issue. KM gave the go ahead and, well, it was done.
I haven't seen the print copy yet...it's on its way. I can't wait to show my Mum! :)
* * * * *Anyway, that's it.
Because I love keeping a journal when I travel - so I can remember everything I did later on - I thought I may as well keep it here on my blog. That way, the boys can keep up with what Hubby and I are up to.
Having said that...I know I'm going to be busy and tired at the end of each day, so let's see how I go with that plan, shall we? I hope to write every day, but we'll see. Keep an eye out next week for updates.
Until then, lovely readers, have a beautiful weekend. I'll be spending mine hugging my children a lot. I'm going to miss them like CR-A-ZY.