A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Friday, October 07, 2011

The Week That Was... School Holidays - Week 2 (and MasterChef Live)

The 7yo disguised as an Angry Bird
And so the school holidays draw to a close...

Last Friday night, after a full week of running around with the kids, I couldn't be bothered cooking our usual dinner - pizza - so we went out for it instead.

Whenever we eat out, the kids insist on taking something to 'play with'. The nine-year-old almost always takes Lego, which to me is just a crazy choice. I mean, what's the bet that a Lego construction, that has taken almost an hour to complete, is going to get knocked off the table and on to the floor - shattering in to a million Lego pieces?

However, Lego is quite possibly slightly more sensible than the seven-year-old's choice of his latest Angry Bird soft toy (he loves soft toys, and has spent a small fortune of his savings on a number of them). The toy is so big, there wasn't any space for it on the table, so he had to wear it shoved up his shirt. Also not particularly ideal, because that shirt has to see through its lifespan when handed down to the four-year-old, you know?

*     *     *     *     *

It was nice to have a break from sporting commitments (I felt so tired), and with Hubby around all weekend without work as a distraction, he came up with the idea of heading to New York. He even made me this to try and convince me...


It worked. Now we're busy planning what we want to do (sleep in, shop, eat out, see a show, some sightseeing, shop some more...that sort of thing), and organise emergency contact lists/schedule info etc. Gah! It's exciting and scary all at the same time, but more exciting now that it's booked.

*     *     *     *     *

On Tuesday, the four-year-old headed to daycare and I took the big boys in to the city. We took a train, which they were very excited about (it's always the small things, people). We met Hubby for lunch, then afterwards I took the boys to the big Dymocks store where the nine-year-old chose a book on The Human Body (he's still totally fascinated with the subject since studying it in class last term), and the seven-year-old suddenly decided he wants to learn French. We purchased a book/CD/flashcards set and spent the evening learning how to say 'hello' and 'goodbye' in French in various ways. It has since not been used. *sigh*



Being in the city always reminds me of my life pre-kids when I worked for a large corporate bank. Apart from meeting some nice people there, and a few good years in the beginning, the memory is not a particularly pleasant one (I had to argue with my bosses over money owed to me).

However, I still love the hustle and bustle of the city, and I'll probably never get tired of pointing out the building that I used to work in to the kids each time we visit (not the one pictured above) and say, "That's where Mummy used to work before you were all born." Just like when my Mum told me over and over and over again as a kid how she used to work in a milk bar in Kalgoorlie before she married my Dad. History repeating itself. :)

*     *     *     *     *

The seven-year-old begrudgingly went to a cricket camp on Wednesday and Thursday (he needs the skills in preparation for his first match coming soon), but today we headed off to the MasterChef Live Show that's being held today and over the weekend at Hordern Pavilion in Moore Park, Sydney. (We were invited by the PR company).

It felt like I should be carrying a long-range lens & camera.
The iPhone was my choice of equipment. 

It would be a full-on dream for hardcore foodies, I reckon. Lots of stalls with the latest kitchen gadgets and food. And if you're a big MasterChef fan, you'll probably love watching some demos from ex-contestants. You may even meet one or two.


At the 'How to...' stand, Kate demonstrated how to break up a chicken
in to pieces. (Cheaper than buying them separately.)

I loved the stands that had a lot of colour...

Party supplies. Love.


Yep. That's a cake, people.

After a pretty yummy pizza for lunch, consumed with a free sampler glass of red (that the nine-year-old managed to spill the most of. *sigh*), it was on to a cooking class for the kids. The seven-year-old decided to sit it out and watch with me instead, but his brothers were right in to it.

Getting ready to make a Watermelon & Feta Cheese Salad


I can't tell you how much the 4yo enjoyed using a knife. Scary.
(But completely safe.) 


The 4yo puts the finishing touches on. It was nom. 

After eating the four-year-old's salad (he didn't want it), I was completely stuffed. We then escaped the crowds and went home.

Back to school next week. I can't decide if I'm excited or not about that.

For those of you with kids still on holidays, how was Week 2 for you? Do your kids cook a lot? 


2 comments:

Megan Blandford said...

Hang on a minute - you're going to NEW YORK?! OMG! Exciting!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

love the look of those knives. Foody delight indeed. My 10 year old was making cumquat marmalade for me until her friend came by and asked her to go for a swim. She did spend hours getting out all those fiddly pips. Love the slow pace of the holidays, makes me wish I was brave enough to home school.