A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.au.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Sunday, October 16, 2011

When Kids Go Feral

image
My boys have gone feral this week. 

They are outta control. Fighting with each other. Fighting with Hubby and I. Talking back and generally being disrespectful. Hubby and I are pulling our hair out. This weekend has been hard work. Very hard work.

I'm trying to remain calm. After all, some of it may be anxiety-related about Hubby and I leaving soon for our upcoming trip. (More so for the nine-year-old who is very sensitive about us going. The seven-year-old and four-year-old are simply looking forward to family from Perth coming to look after them, knowing full well they're going to be spoilt rotten!)

Some of it may have to do with the fact that less than a week after school holidays concluded, they all found themselves together again with a pupil free day last Friday. (How's that for a slap in the face? Your kids return to school and BAM! Another day off!)

But with my own stress relating to the trip, it's very difficult to cope with it all right now. Whilst I would love nothing more than to be experiencing the kind of weekend together as a family that only the  Sound of Music could rival, it's just not going to happen.

There's only one solutions then the boys get like this: Divide and conquer.

Apart from exercise (important for all kids, but especially for boys), the only way to stop the kids getting on each other's nerves (and ours) is to separate them. Do our best to get them out of each other's hair.

As I write this, Hubby has taken the nine-year-old for a drive to the dog beach with the dog (obviously, otherwise, why go there?). The four-year-old is doing some water colour painting next to me under the umbrella on the outside table, and the seven-year-old is inside playing a little Nintendo DS. (Which kills me considering it's a beautiful, sunny day here in Sydney, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do.)

All is calm for the first time in three days. *sigh*

I'm planning an early dinner tonight and early night for all. Maybe then there'll be a bit of time for a quick game of UNO before bed and hopefully (*crosses fingers*) every one will be happy.

Wish me luck.

What do you do when your kids won't stop fighting? 



5 comments:

Mrs Woog said...

I remove them from each other and myself from them both x

River said...

I was going to suggest splitting them up, but you got there on your own, so clearly you're a good mum. and I'd agree some of the tension IS related to you leaving soon. You've got the leaving gifts organised?

rambling mum said...

OMG! This is our kids Liam (9) & Megan (4)! He is mr attitude right now (but still the fabulous, delightful, smiley boy half of the time) with his "oh poop" and clenched fists every time he's asked or told to do something. Threatening to break his little sister's toys. She is the closest in age to him so plays with him the most and she mimics his attitude and actions. So now we have a 4 year old who says "oh poop" when told to do anything and also stamps around the house. Plays with his Lego because she knows it annoys him. So they end up yelling at each other & then Zac (almost 16) yells at them to shut up. I've tried to pull back & force them to sort themselves out but it's reached the stage where you can't even have a conversation in the next room because they are all yelling. Is it Liam or Megan who needs the most discipline!!

Dorothy said...

Mine fight a lot - two boys! I separate them. Lately I've began counting - if I get to 3 and their bad behaviour doesn't stop there are consequences.

Sometimes the best thing I can do is snuggle up between the two of them on the couch and watch a movie...

Rhonda said...

must be something going around...my son has been a menace the past 2 weeks.