A NEW BLOG!

Thanks for stopping by. Mummy Mayhem is no longer updated. I now have a new, albeit smaller blog over at www.jodieansted.blogspot.com.

Drop by anytime. :)

Jodie
xox

Thursday, November 10, 2011

(Indefinite) Pause (Updated with a Thank You!)

image
I was watching the movie Julie & Julia the other night. 

It's the first time I've seen the film since I saw it in the cinema close to two years ago. The movie - about Julie Powell, an American government employee who starts a blog about cooking her way through Julia Child's book, Mastering The Art of French Cooking - was rather timely for me back then, as I'd just started Mummy Mayhem. I went with friends, and it was great for them to see how the world of blogging can give a person focus, confidence, support, opportunities, personal drive and allow that person to indulge in a love of writing. At the time, I couldn't stop writing posts in my head, and I was becoming more and more heavily tuned in to the world of blogging.

In the two years since I've started this blog, I've had some wonderful opportunities. For example, I would never have thought (nor expected) back then to be sent so many wonderful products, and have my opinion valued. Or to some day be paid to write. And I most certainly could never have dreamt of the day I would see my name attached as the writer of a magazine article. Nor did I bank on making some wonderful (and eventual real life) connections, and finding a community I felt I belonged to.

For the most part, the blogging world is a very supportive, positive and engaging community. However, in truth, it also has a not so pleasant side. Competitiveness, insecurity, jealousy, snobbery, exclusiveness and plain old nastiness rears it ugly head in this online world at times. Thankfully, this is the exception rather than the rule. But as much as it saddens me to admit it, I think this is because you can't get a bunch of women (mostly, in my blogging world anyway) together without a bit of this stuff to deal with on occasion - in any situation. There are days the blogosphere feels not unlike high school. It's just that the 'students' carry laptops rather than books, and the bullying appears in the form of a very under the radar type blog post or tweet or status update on Facebook. Rather than passing notes, bloggers email, or direct message each other on Twitter, or they bitch chat on Skype.

Same dog, different leg, as my father would say. ;)

However, even though I've become increasingly...disappointed, I guess, about this side of the blogging world - and, to be honest, it has probably (over time) partly contributed to my decision to a certain degree - it's not the only reason (not by far) that I have decided to shelve Mummy Mayhem indefinitely.

In fact, there are numerous reasons. All of which have floated around constantly in my head over the past month or so as I have contemplated this decision. I waited to do something until now, because I wanted to be sure.

So now I'm sure.

Julie & Julia made me realise how less enthusiastic I am about blogging these days. To be honest, I just haven't felt the need to blog like I used to in the past. I know those of you who have followed my blog for a while, and have seen me pop up on yours, have already noticed how less present I am in the online world these days. For at least the last few months or so, I've not spent much time on Twitter, and I'm not getting around to reading blog posts nearly as much as I used to. I guess life...that is, the one that exists in the real world...has been keeping me busy (as well as entertained), and more and more I'm drawn to it, rather than the world I've spent the last two years immersing myself in from the comfort of my laptop computer. It feels likes, in the beginning, I needed my blog, but now my blog needs me. I don't mean you need me. My blog does. It feels a little more like work than pleasure these days, and it was never supposed to feel like that.

And so, I'm hanging up my keyboard, so to speak, on my blog for a while...maybe forever...I'm not sure at all at this stage. Perhaps the need to write regularly here will suddenly take hold of me again, but for now, I'm happy to hopefully do a little freelance writing here and there, write in my journal (yes! I've picked one back up that I started a while ago) and to hang out with the four-year-old before he starts school, as well as the rest of my gorgeous family during other times. Perhaps - now hold on to your hats, people - I'll finally find the bottom of that ironing pile I'm always talking about? (I know. How crazy is that concept?)

My apologies to those companies who have contacted me in recent weeks about products and events etc and are still waiting for an answer. Life has been full. And I've been away on holidays. I guess I also knew in my mind this was coming, and didn't want to take anything on.

And to those who have read this blog, who are reading now, and who read right from the beginning (Nomie, Amy, MeganThea and my gorgeous friends, Jen and Mardi and Sister C especially)...thank you for your support. Thanks also to Brenda who has done so much for the Australian blogging community, including me.

I won't be gone completely. I think I'll hang around a little on my blog's Facebook page, and on Twitter occasionally to let you know what I'm up to and to say hi. At this stage, I'm planning to update my recipe blog on occasion (quite frankly, it's a handy thing to have access to when we're on holidays and I can't recall a recipe)! And I'll continue to read my fave blogs too so I can keep up with their news. (That is, when I can.)

Thanks for the good times, ya'll. All the best to all the bloggers out there! :)

UPDATE: (17 Nov) I just wanted to say a very sincere thank you to all that have commented here, contacted me via email, Facebook and Twitter to wish me well. It means a lot to me. A. Lot. Thank you so much. xxx




52 comments:

~~Kallie~~ said...

Good luck with your "Pause" Jodie. I'm not on twitter,blogs,facebook much currently, just don't have enough time but hopefully I'll catch you somewhere along the way :) xx

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Ah, Jodie, following your heart and head out of the blogosphere is a move to make when it's your choice! I applaud that. Mind you, meeting you at AusBlogCon this year was such a delight and I enjoyed chatting to you.
I was so pleased to be kept updated by your thrilling trip to NYC because your detailed & interesting writing gave me more insight into my trip for next year. Thank you so much for on-line support and encouragement.
I too have moved away from blogger to using my education background to develop a website that becomes a source of information for parents and about schooling.
Good luck as you wave your last boy off to 'big school' and enjoy what this (indefinite) pause brings to your life!
Denyse xx

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Oh my! We'll miss you. Keep in touch. I love hearing about your freelance successes!

stinkb0mb said...

sad to see you go but in all honesty, when blogging isn't grabbing you, a break, be it a week, a month or longer, is just what you need.

enjoy life and when you need a break from enjoying life, come back and tell us all about it, we'll be here, waiting, ready to read again.

~x~

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh Jodie, this is such a shame to read. I have noticed your posts are more infrequent of late and I probably haven't been reading as many of them as I've wanted to... because much like yourself, life is just so hectic. I hope that once you've had some time to be free of the blogging world, that you'll come back refreshed and renewed. Enjoy the break :o) xo

Ms Styling You said...

I'm going to be incredibly selfish and say that I'm bloody sad to hear this Jodie. I'll miss you. Please if the urge to vlog happens, promise you'll post on Facebook?! Xxx

Megan Blandford said...

So sad about this news... but not surprised. I sensed you weren't so into it anymore, and wanted to spend more time with your family - and I think it's great you can make that call.

Looking forward to still chatting now and then on Twitter. xxxx

Ami said...

I'm all teary! Like Megan, I sensed something too. And scarily I could have written that post myself. I'm really going to miss your blog. I love your writing, so effortless and easy to read, I always felt like you were sitting there chatting to us all. Very exciting about your freelance writing opportunities! Can't wait to hear all about them. Congrats on such a wonderful blog thus far. We'll miss you. xx

Thea said...

*wiping away tears*, I was wondering where you went...apart from New York I mean!

While I totally understand your need for a break, I'm going to miss you!!!!

You have been a fave of mine from the beginning. xxx

Thea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie said...

I understand completely (having written one of these posts myself), enjoy your pause hun, good luck with the ironing ;)
Now I will have to make sure I am a member of your FB page, don't want to miss anything! xx

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

I totally get this. Totally.

You will be missed. I wish that blogging was something we could do sporadically. Once every few months, but it's not the nature of the beast (and I think our guilt plays into it too).

You will be missed. But oh boy, how your children will love this time with you.

xx

Brenda said...

I will miss you, my friend. You're one of the most genuine person on the blogosphere. But I understand it. Totally understand it. Much love to you, Jodie baby.xxxx

Naomi said...

I will miss you lovely friend. We started this together, in what seems like a life time ago! Brenda has said it but I will too, you are one of the most genuine people on the blogosphere. But I get it. Much, much love to you xxxx

Miss Pink said...

I had a feeling this was coming. I had noticed a few months ago, probably around August? That you were starting to get quieter, and I was hoping it was just an end of winter thing, but I think deep down I had a feeling you were just over it.
I will be sad. I will miss you and your posts, but I do understand the feeling.
I do hope we see you back, eventually. The blogosphere will not be the same without you Jodie.

InkPaperPen said...

Oh wow! Jodi, I can totally relate to this. I have been finding it hard lately too. Just holding on by the skin of my teeth, I think. Good luck...I hope to hear more about your journey via FB... And perhaps read Kate and Cassie's finished story one day?? Perhaps? I think you were on to something there...Maybe now you'll have more time to work on it!

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

Oh how I'll miss your hilarious vlogs! I've showed so many people the Blogger vs wordpress song :P
Enjoy your pause, Jodie x

Alice said...

Was wondering why I hadn't seen you around much Jodie! Thanks for what you have shared with us to this until now. You're a blessing in the blogging world, and you'll be missed. Will look out for your FB updates xx Alice

MummyK said...

I understand this J, totally, but also at the same time you will be missed :) Have fun in whatever you decide to do next :)

Lisa Lintern said...

The person who held my hand the first time I stepped into the blogosphere. I will miss your online presence so much. But that's ok. Because it's the IRL stuff that counts, and I know we will be seeing each other often. Beautifully written as always because your voice is so genuine and real...as is your decision to have this break. Xoxo

Louisa Claire said...

Enjoy your pause, I understand. I hope that one day I will laugh hysterically at a new vlog you've created!

Corinne – Daze of My Life said...

Oh Jodie, I've only just seen this. I too am sad by this news, but understand.

I adored reading your recent post in NYC.

Whatever you do, just keep writing!

Keep in touch xxx

bigwords is... said...

Oh Jodie, so sad to hear this, yet so very happy for you. Please tell me you will still meet me in Sydney in the future and take me to "Jersey Shore" bars!! And if you ever feel the need to vlog - PLEASE DO!! Enjoy, much love and thank you xx

Wanderlust said...

We'll miss you Jodie. I totally get the need to be more present and engaged in the non-online world. I've pulled away from blogging too, to a degree, to focus on my family and "paying work" and it's been good. All the best to you. xo

Janelle said...

So sad, you're one of my faves! :)
Bravo on this wonderful blog you've created, it's been the source of many smiles and giggles for me.
Best of luck to you Jodie.

wendy uplate said...

Sorry Jody to see you go (your blog go) after I'd just started reading it - I'm glad I got to read your wonderful posts about NY. I hope your future writing takes you to even better places now that you have more time to focus on other opportunities (I can understand how intense blogging must get). Enjoy your 4yo all the more before he goes off to big school too!

Jane said...

It seems like a lot of people are feeling the same way about blogging lately. I know I am. Blogging doesn't excite me like it used to. Twitter seems a lot quieter these days as well.

Enjoy your break! I really love your blog, but I hope you enjoy getting to spend more time in your 'real world'. Blogging can be such a time-sucker so I'm sure you'll have plenty of time on your hands!!! xxx

Taryn said...

Hi Jodie.

Totally get what you are saying here. We started at the same time.

You have had much success with your blog and you should be very proud.

I'm sure this isn't the end for you....

Enjoy your pause. And real life. xx

Taryn x

Corinne said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog, like everyone above. Your blogging has helped define your love of writing and who you are at this point in time.

Next will be more adventures for you in more creative writing endeavours. I hope to see you on mayhem Twitter.

Shelley @ My Shoebox Life said...

Wishing you much love and happiness ahead as you embark on your next venture. I've always admired your writing ability, and I'm sure there's a book just bursting to get out. xx

Zoey @ Good Googs said...

All the best Jodi. So sad to see you go (or pause, hopefully pause!) but so happy that you have made a decision that makes you happy.

Tina ~ Tina Gray {dot} Me said...

Follow your heart, chick. I'm sad to see you go but I totally get it xx

Anne @ Domesblissity said...

How sad Jodie. You were one of my favourites. I'd rather be cooking from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" rather than blogging about it. You're so right about the blogging community. So sad. I've just learnt to ignore it now. I know which ones are my friends and I'll continue to blog for my own gratification, not anyone elses. Hope to see you around and get to read your book about Cassie and Kate.

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

My Mummy Daze said...

Totally get you with the highschool analogy.

I'm sorry to hear that you're packing away your blog but it sounds like the blogging journey has served a significant and worthwhile role in your life's journey. How great that you don't 'need' your blog anymore.

As much as blogging is one of my great joys right now and I love the confidence it gives me, I can already foresee that I will out-grow it. There are other journeys ahead for me (and you by the sounds of it).

Thank you for sharing your motherhood journey with us, and thank you for saying it's OK to start a new chapter away from blogging.

All the best xxx

Donna @ NappyDaze said...

Oh Jodie have you had a peek inside my brain? I am echoing your every sentence! I seem to be struggling to juggle everything on my plate at the moment and seriously contemplated pressing pause as well. Just so there is one less thing to stress about y'know?

But if you ever get the desire to vlog, be sure to whip out that camera. No one has ever made me laugh quite like you!!

Miss you already!

Dorothy Krajewski said...

That is very sad to read. You were one of the first Australian blogs I read and you made me laugh. A lot!

I have often felt like you do about the blogosphere and have considered leaving, but, at this stage, I need my blog more than it needs me. That's a really great way to put it, btw.

I will miss you, don't think I won't. And, you know, I am kind of jealous that your real life calls so strongly to you and is so much more enjoyable, than your virtual one. Unlike mine.

Have a ball1

Sarah Mac said...

Julie and Julia was partly the inspiration for my blog - I'm really going to miss you at WoW Jodie.

I hope you find the time to do the things that are important to you.

I also hope that some day soon you might have a change of heart and come back.

I've been on and off FB for similar reasons. I've never had a problem on the blog though.

Take care - you will stay on my blog roll and I'd be really happy to see a post from you pop up again at some point x

Melissa said...

Sounds like you've made the right decision Jodie. It's a big and brave one, but the best one. But don't forget, you are always more than welcome to blog, vlog or whatever over at Kleenex Mums anytime x

Ms panda said...

Thank you for your words of wisdom you have shared - enjoy your new adventures

Suz @ Segovia and The I Love You Song said...

Wow. Will miss reading here but so glad you are choosing for you and yours x

SquiggleMum said...

Take care Jodie. xx

Ann said...

Best of luck Jodi with the journey ahead. You've got to do with what feels right.

Funnyily enough I wrote about this very topic on my blog only two weeks ago - about the issue of exiting your blog and micro blog.

Enjoy the next phase.

Ann

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle said...

Can't you just do a little vlog once a week?

I'm going to miss reading your blogs but I have a feeling we'll still see you around as your writing is incredibly easy to read.

Enjoy the "pause" but please don't disappear.

Kirstyxx

Cat said...

Oh lovely. I understand parts of what you say very well indeed. I don't feel the impetus in the way I once did either. I am however very sorry I haven't had the opportunity to get to know you better as I really do admire you and think we'd be genuine friends if we lived in the same city. I really have been thinking of you a lot and enjoyed your holiday pics very much. MUCH love to you xxx

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Jodie, I totally get it and I'm only a little bit sad because I know that someone with your talent will continue popping up in different mediums (in an ideal world that would be on a regular Vlog channel - damn, you're funny).

Enjoy diving back into real life, I'll miss you here - but can't wait to see what the future has in store.

Thanks for all the beautiful blogs, I'm about to file away your new york posts to plan my next trip xxx

Penny said...

The first time I 'read' your blog was one of your vlogs....and I will miss those. Hilarious.

Have a lovely break and good luck with the freelance writing.

Talent always finds a way. And a voice.

Katrina Germein said...

Wishing you much love and luck with your next chapter Jodie. xxx

Lorraine Turley said...

From a PR to a blogger, you will be sorrowly missed Jodie. From one female struggling to cope with being pulled in ten different directions, you will still be sorrowly missed Jodie!I subscribe to about 25 blogs and of course I don't get time to read them all, but you have a knack for writing that captures a smile everytime, and I'm sure you will excel in the freelance world!
Best of luck and hurrah for Mummy Mayhem! Lorraine x

Jane said...

Oh Jodie. I'm so sorry to read this but congratulate you on working out what you need to do to best suit you and your family. It's a tough gig, this motherhood caper, let alone fitting in blogging and general *life* as well. Wishing you only the best. J x

Hunter&Ivy said...

Hi Jodie, good woman! I think it's terrific that you have taken the bull by it's horn and are making a decision that feels right for you, rather than right for others. I have enjoyed your writing, and as I said in one of my first emails to you, I'm sure you will be a successful writer whether you blog or not. I am sad to hear that the blogging world has sometimes been unkind to you, I have not experienced this just yet, but it is early days for me. What magazine article have you had published - I'd love to read it! Take good care of you and your family, Corinna x

Jaimee Hunter said...

Well, Poo! I took a month off to write nothing but thank you's and this is what I miss? I am so very sad to read this, Jodie. I'll still be hoping you change your mind sweet friend. Aunt J-Me

Maxabella said...

I haven't commented, though I read your post weeks ago. I guess I was hoping that 'indefinitely' meant a week or two... But, sigh, you're not back.

You know where to find me, blogging or otherwise. x